Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2023, 04:26 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Ticketed in California leaving Johnson Valley at 70’ it does happen. $175 fine
Hayfarm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2023, 06:06 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
I traveled throughout the country for over 8 years including three trips to Alaska and back with my coach towing a 30-foot trailer. I was 72 feet at the time.

I can't count the number of times I overnighted at various places with OTR rigs parked next to me the next morning who were longer than I was.

The only location I have heard where the CA CHP would hang out and enforce the 65-foot rule was somewhere off of the I-8 Freeway on the way to Glamis Sand Dunes.

Never gave any serious thought about getting ticketed for overlength. However, I always drove conservatively, still do even though I no longer tow a trailer, and I always drive defensively.

It amazes me how many RVer's I see running the fast lane doing 75-80. They are an accident waiting to happen especially when the speed rating on their tires is most likely 65.
Surf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 12:25 PM   #45

It's obvious that I have been misinformed for years regarding overall length of commercial vehicles. My apologies to all. With a 75' length in many states and apparently no length limit in some states as long as trailer limits are met, it's no wonder RV lengths are not questioned. Safe travels regardless of your length.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 12:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Thompson View Post
California will. They will make you park it and get something shorter to pull it thru the state. Welcome to California.
When is the last time you talk to somebody that this happened to? I've been to almost every race track in Cali, from southern to northern events with hundreds of racers a lot of them over 80 feet, we've never been pulled over in Cali or heard of anyone that has. In my research online I have only found two people pulled over for this and both were 20 year old posts.
ViperHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 12:27 PM   #47

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Just wondering if anyone whose coach and toad/trailer/etc exceeds 65 ft has ever been cited for it.
My semi truck and trailer is around 76 feet long. Never had a problem. Pennsylvania may have an issue on some back roads.
Norcenark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 12:28 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
What about interstate rest areas? Are those truck spaces long enough to hold you?
Yeah those spots are very long as a lot of semi's can be 80 feet long as well.
Old 04-28-2023, 12:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayfarm1 View Post
Ticketed in California leaving Johnson Valley at 70’ it does happen. $175 fine
Did the cop let you continue on your way? If so that was very cool. My fear wouldn't be a ticket, but having to unhitch and go and rent a pickup from Uhaul to get my stacker to the track.
Old 04-28-2023, 01:30 PM   #50

Where is there a 65 ft limit? Half the trucks in KS would be illegal.

That's an old rule which resulted in th cabover truck. Do you see them on the road today?
ClairS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 02:17 PM   #51

If you want some really boring reading, go to the enclosed site. Most of the commercial limits are listed for each state. Looks like it would be easy to go from a 75' limit state into a 65' limit state.

http://nationwideexpressservices.wee...each_state.pdf
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 06:57 PM   #52

Indeed! A former coworker of my wife was flagged into a weigh station by a trooper. He was cited for over length and over weight. His rig is a fifth wheel and a dually pickup truck. He did not have the required license, so he had to call someone who had the proper license per NYS to drive it home.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbill View Post

There was a time I pulled 4 pups on the Kansas Turnpike between Kansas City and Topeka, KS and I was pulled over by the KS HWY Patrol. I was around 144 ft total length.

Haha, that's freakin' crazy, but badass, nice driving!
Old 04-29-2023, 01:24 AM   #54

Rv overall length

We have a 40ft HR endeavor with a 20ft enclosed trailer. We had an overall length of 65 ft. I had the trailer tongue lengthened 14inches. That made us 66 ft in overall length. I have never been checked for overall length in the time I have been camping/racing since 1999. We would like to upgrade to a 24ft trailer that would put us at 70ft. I don’t think I would feel comfortable with anything longer.

Right now we are having problems getting campsites that can work with our length even though some advertise themselves as being “big rig friendly”

Some resorts we have been to for a number of years have had a limited number of spots that we can get in and out of comfortably have resorted to charging extra for reservation of a certain spot. I personally don’t support this practice and see it as price gouging. I think if the campground can accommodate my “big rig”. Then say so. But don’t have this bogus charge just to guarantee a spot that we can use.

RV safe
Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:42 AM   #55

Mine is 75' with trailer. I've never seen a private vehicle ever bothered.
Newmar nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:48 AM   #56

Then don't drive one like that. You have to be confident and comfortable what your driving. I can maneuver my 75' rig around anywhere. If a rig intimidates you, you should not drive it.
Newmar nut is offline   Reply With Quote