Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Look what I did...

Someone recently suggested that a post entitled "look what I did" should be started so that coach owners can confess about things that went wrong. I guess this is a start.

The way that our coach is configured, the bathroom doors should be closed when the rear slide is pulled in. One day I was pulling the rear slide in which required me to be in the bedroom with my finger on the control. The forward bathroom door was open and as the slide came in there was a loud crunching sound. I stopped and looked around and found that the open door had jammed between the handles on our fridge and this caused the bathroom wall to be pushed in about two inches and also damaged the door. When I took it to the dealer they said that they could fix everything up and make it as good as when new and my wife wouldn't even know the difference. So with their "privacy policy" and $250 it was all fixed and kept as my little secret.

OK, now it is someone else's turn to spill the beans... Joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #2

When we first got our signature coach, last July, I did this TWICE. I moved it on the driveway without unplugging the electrical umbilical. The first time, I only moved it about 2 feet, but then I put the jacks back down and the pad on the RH rear jack sliced through the cable.

New cable installed, then a couple of weeks later I moved it far enough that the cable was run over by the rear duallies. This time, it ripped the cable out of the electrical transfer relay box, shorted the relay and blew the thing apart. That was a $100 screw-up and a lot of work for me to replace the transfer unit.

I now have a Velcro dot on the dash above the speedometer and three 4 x 6 cards with the mating dots that say, in BIG red letters "Electrical Cord Attached", "Water Hose Attached" and "Sewer Hose Attached".

Now the trick is remembering to put them on the dash when I dock! I already have the big orange thing for the TV antenna, but we haven't used the over-the-air TV since we got the rig last summer.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
OK, this one is fairly fresh, having occurred within the last week. I cranked up the snowblower to clear the latest 6" of snow fall from last weekend. We've had a couple good storms and the snow is (or was, the last couple days its been in the low 40s, and much of it is gone) piling up. I decided to be 'smart' and clear down the side of the motor home reasoning that if I kept it clear I'd be able to get into it much sooner this next spring to get it ready for the new season.

Snow blowers and shore cords do not make for a good mix.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #4

I happen to have a few thinks I did and we laugh about. Not sure I want to admit to all of them at one time though.

50 amp cord plugged into a huge power distribution box with the door facing the opposite direction of the coach. Fed the 50 amp cord through an opening in the bottom of the power box. Now this power box is supported by two 6in x 6in wood timbers, unknown how deep into the ground. This may give you an idea as to the size of this power box. Any ways forgot to unplug as I was leaving my site with about 20 people admiring my coach. ok, lets just say the plug never came out of the power box. (this was my coach I use to have)

Another, left a site and ended up driving down some city streets as I missed my turn. I am hearing tree branches hitting the coach...looked at dw and we both said we know the tv antenna was down. ok maybe we are just to tall for this city streets. Then I notice we were getting way to many looks from people....after about 10 miles dw looks out the door, and suggested I put the door anwing in. Daaaa

Ok, one more. Coming back from Upper MI I wanted some ice cream from DQ. We were on the highway but traveling through a small town. Cool, a DQ ahead, I just pull over to the curb and park. We go in get our treat, back to the coach and back on the road again. The next town we stop at a red light, on the corner is a bar, happened to be a biker bar with everyone staning outside and laughing and pointing at us. What the heck...discovered when I pulled over for ice cream I connected with a cherry tree and I huge hunk of it got jammed in my awning and hung on for a ride.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Joe

I think we have about the same floor plan as your Itasca.

We closed the curb slide with the bath door open also. There is now a LARGE red sign by the slide controls that says "CLOSE THE BATHROOM DOOR!".

The drivers side slide was closed once with the entertainment center door open. The controls for it also now has a BIG red sign.

I am having the dome satellite replaced with the WineGard Trav-ler at Indio. I guess I will be in the market for another big red sign.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #6

When our winnebago voyage 2005 38j was three months old and one trip under our belt, I went under a railroad overpass that I used to go under with our 2000(basement air)(itused to clear). Needless to say it took both airconditioners while ripping down the middle of the roof. Big holes in the roof. took a whole new roof and six months without it.
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
On our first stop at the relatives, with several watching, I backed into a approximately 35 inch diameter tree. My trailer hitch branded it dead center. Nothing damaged except my pride. I now use the GOAL system for backing, several times if necessary. Been planning on getting a back-up camera.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #8

Pulled out of the barn with the shore cord plugged in behind me. Luckily it just 'popped out' of the plug. No damage.

Pulled out of a camp site with overhead wires, with the TV antenna up... Messed up the gear on the Batwing antenna, but I didn't see any fireworks..
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #9

I have clothspins with antenna,coffee pot printer written on them Antenna goes up, pin goes on steering wheel.Unstrap coffee pot put pin on wheel When all the pins are gone it is safe to drive.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look

Easy one, open the main slide and forget to move the driver chair foward. Stupid design windsport.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
Easy one, open the main slide and forget to move the driver chair foward. Stupid design windsport.
Did the same recently with my Bounder when closing the main slide. Luckily only the trim got pulled off the edge of the slide and the chair was not damaged. Wonder how common this interference is in coaches. I was thinking of moving the drivers seat back another few inches for more leg room and to get more room moving around the doghouse but afraid I might catch the slide more often then.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
I always thought this trim on ours should be installed with velcro. It would make it a lot easier to put back on. I pull this stunt about once a year.
tpm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Oops - double post
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Since we're fessing up -

I crawled into the basement of our coach to winterize her and no sooner did I crawl in, the door slammed shut locking me inside. The wet bay door was open, so I had light, but no way to fit out. My 3 year old was in the coach playing and my wife was in the house. I'm yelling for help for about 30 minutes before my neighbor came over wondering where the yelling was coming from and freed me. I'll never crawl in there again without my cell phone in hand.

The other was when I forgot to put the hatch cover back in where my shore cord comes out. I took it off because I was going to plug in at my parents and then decided not to and just run of generator as needed and never pulled the cord out. Well somewhere along I-80/90 in Ohio my 50 amp cord worked it's way out the hole and got caught under my wheels. The coach jumped and I looked back and saw what I thought was a retread gone bad. Other than that jump, the coach rode and drove normal. Well couple hours down the road, I pulled off to refuel and noticed my shore cord dangling out and only 10 feet of the original 35 feet left attached. That was another learning experience - always check the hatch covers.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote