Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2020, 08:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looking at a 2010 tag axle Phaeton QBH

The coach is beautiful stored indoors when not in use it's whole life and you can tell.

2nd owner

Has only a 360 Cummings in it seems for a tag axle should be at least a 400.

New house batteries new steer and drive tires tag tires look good still.

King bed two sofas

Haven't drove it yet because of price which is $135k.

What do you all think?
kongmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2020, 11:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I think you’re right about power. My 34’ Ventana has the 360/800 and it’s enough but barely and acceleration has to be planned in advance. I’m getting used to it and in a 34’ coach there aren't many better options for more power.

Anything with a tag is going to be heavy enough that I think it would be laborious driving if powered by an ISB. I’d look at Dutch Stars with ISL power, especially if you are going to be towing.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:20 AM   #3

The Cummins 360 is an ISC not the ISB which is a smaller block. The 360 has 1050# torque. A 42' w/tag might be slightly underpowered with the ISC, but still a workable combination. Where will you do most of your driving? It would be fine anywhere between the east coast and the Rockies. It'll go over them too, but not as well as the ISL Cummins. If you do a lot of driving in the western states, you would be happier with a 400 or 450 ISL which has 1200 and 1250# torque.

The condition of the coach and floor plan is far more important than the size of the engine. How much time do you spend behind the wheel vs living in it??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:28 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The Cummins 360 is an ISC not the ISB which is a smaller block. The 360 has 1050# torque. A 42' w/tag might be slightly underpowered with the ISC, but still a workable combination. Where will you do most of your driving? It would be fine anywhere between the east coast and the Rockies. It'll go over them too, but not as well as the ISL Cummins. If you do a lot of driving in the western states, you would be happier with a 400 or 450 ISL which has 1200 and 1250# torque.

The condition of the coach and floor plan is far more important than the size of the engine. How much time do you spend behind the wheel vs living in it??
Right - 2010 360. Makes more sense. But still if you do your power to weight ratio calcs you’ll find that combo on the ragged edge for both acceleration and maintaining speed on grades, unless it has a lower gear ratio which will have other trade-offs.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We plan to do quite a bit of travel our west but we do live in the east/Midwest.

How do folks feel about adding a Banks system to a 360?
Old 06-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Pretty sure Banks no longer makes anything for the ISC, especially one that new.

1050 torque is on the low side for a rig that’s probably going to weigh 40K but it will get you there.

Of all the ones you’ve posted about, the tag alone moves it to the top of the list.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #7

Don't be afraid of the mountains with the ISC 360. Towing my Avalanche, I weigh 46,700# and will be down to 36-37 mph coming up the last 1500' elevation to the Eisenhower tunnel from the west. You would probably be 2-3 mph less than that @ 43,000#. Having to occasionally be slower than those around you on a four lane highway, is not a problem. Most semi's are slower.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongmen View Post
We plan to do quite a bit of travel our west but we do live in the east/Midwest.

How do folks feel about adding a Banks system to a 360?
Trying to pump up a motor home diesel is probably a recipe for disaster. They are usually at the top end of their power spectrum in a MH chassis anyway so while modifying fuel delivery and exhaust to squeeze another 10-15% is possible, it’s also going to be stressing the engine to its limits under load. Since you’re in the market for a 10 year old coach you have plenty to choose from if you want bigger power. Look at country coach, Newmar (Mountain AIRE and above), Foretravel, Monaco etc.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:11 PM   #9

It doesn't help you with this specific coach, but should you pass on this one, Tiffin moved up to the ISL 400 in the 42' QBH in 2012. 400hp/1250 ft lbs of torque.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #10

It may be slightly under powered but if it fits all your other criteria and the price is right I wouldn't dismiss it.
From your description it sounds like it's been well maintained and kept indoors.

Is the price right?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
It may be slightly under powered but if it fits all your other criteria and the price is right I wouldn't dismiss it.From your description it sounds like it's been well maintained and kept indoors. Is the price right?
That is the logic I finally used to make a decision on my new used Ventana and I’m quite thrilled. I just have to plan ahead when I’m going to accelerate. My Bay Star is faster. Considerably...
Old 06-02-2020, 07:29 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Rule of thumb is usually 10HP per foot and with most coaches, the weight will fall in place, as well.
I'm well satisfied with ours at 32K loaded and for pulling a 4600lb toad up any mountain, while being pushed by a 400HP Cat with 1150ft/lbs of torque.
Really don't need or want more than that, for all around use and economy.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
timjet... Price is $135k firm.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:10 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongmen View Post
timjet... Price is $135k firm.
That is full retail, ya know and it's been my experience for these coaches to go at low retail or below, for cash and/or private owner or consignment dealer.
Even a full dealer makes those kind of deals every day, when without a trade.
Just saying and summer is coming to FL for some very good deals, with the snowbirds soon to be gone, if not already for the most of them.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phaeton