Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
2007 Meridian

We had an 2007 Meridian, traded for Phaeton. The Meridian’s dash air quit and I ignored it for a while; after a couple years I spent a couple thousand on it and gave up. Turns out, the longer they stay not working, the harder they are to fix. We changed a double pane window that had moisture (fog) between the panes. The clear coat finish on the front of the coach had moldy looking stuff under the clearcoat. We changed the 350 Cat’s fan bearing at 11000 miles under warranty in Toad River B C. It had no fan clutch. We had water enter the slide ceiling, causing the ceiling covering to sag severely. We had water leaks from the front clearance lights, stopped with some silicon. We drove it for 99000 miles and occassionally we could get higher than the normal 7.5 mpg. Hope this helps to show what to look for. It was an acceptable coach, but the Phaeton is better!
Tall Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2020, 07:08 PM   #44

I'd look for another coach ! You will spend the rest of your time with it trying to get everything fixed.
Phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #45

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongmen View Post
deandec I didn't know that the inverter turns on and off? So after I unplug from Shore power I can go into the panel and find an inverter on-off button? So I am assuming that the inverter is in the off position when plugged into Shore power?

I have a remote panel inside the rig for the inverter control. among other things it allows me to turn the inverter on or off. We generally leave it on except when dry camping. The alternator and shore power and generator all charge the house batteries except when dry camping.

deandec On a large commercial dump truck tire inflation is usually around 110 PSI. Is it the same for RVs?

I run my steers at 100 psi and the rear tandems at 95 psi. That is from the Toyo tire pressure rating chart and after determining axle weights. Over pressure creates a harsh ride.

Ljwt330 we've made a deal at $65k contingent on test drive/further inspection.

webedreamin I doubt the belts have been changed. What damage occurs if Serpentine belt brakes.

likely the engine will overheat quickly because water pump is stopped

Can someone tell me where I might get a water filter on my way tomorrow? Is it a fairy common one that I can get at home depot? After looking at the pictures I took last time I was there it looks like the water filter is still on it. It's a long white filter that says water guard shurflo? If I knew how to post a pic I would.

I get my water filter at Lowes. I would not worry about filters unless the water pressure from the system is not normal. Then the filter might be the cause. You will need to ID the filter needed.

Thanks for the replies. Keep em coming please.
See my answers in red above
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:31 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kongman
I have a 39 ft 09 Journey. Very little difference between 08 and 09. Bought it in 2010. You need to check the sidewalls very closely especially around the window cutout corners. Winn got some bad fiberglass around 2007-2008 when yours would have been built and hairline cracks appeared around some windows. All my sidewalls were replaced by Winnebago in 2011 under warranty and it was a 2 month job.
These coaches were well built -save for the fiberglass issue - and the price sounds fair. They are likely better put together than many post 2010. I have 96K miles on mine with a few issues - replaced the rad being the most major. The AC is readily fixed by a home AC service tech. I have replaced the capacitors on mine a couple of times - a $30 tab for both. Not sure if you are "handy" but if you are willing to try to fix things - chassis/engine issues excluded - you will find the cost of ownership reasonable. If you aren't handy and aren't interested in doing most " house" repairs yourself, you are best to get a new coach. Finding good service is a real challenge and Winn issues are best solved by taking the coach to the Winn factory in Forest City, Iowa. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:45 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the reply's. We purchased the coach for 65k. I will be sure and update everyone on my thoughts about our new to us coach.

You all's feedback has been extremely valuable. Thank you all so much.
kongmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #48

Country Coach Owners Club
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:07 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The first thing I have to do to this coach is replace house batteries. They are 100% dead. Can anyone tell me their opinion on good quality batteries and where to get them? Also if someone has a link to a post on how to change the batteries in series Without getting shocked or damaging anything I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any replies.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:40 AM   #50

kongmen-

According to the Battery Installation diagram (link here), your coach came with three 12V house batteries, wired in parallel. Neither they nor the chassis batteries were wired in series. Of course, someone could have changed that.

All of the wiring diagrams for your coach are available here.

I usually remove batteries this way:

1) shut off the battery disconnect switch
2) remove the battery bank negative lead to the frame
3) remove the battery bank positive lead

If the coach has a Magnum inverter, reverse 2) and 3).

I can't recommend 12V batteries. I've only bought 6V AGM house batteries for each of our coaches. Trojan and Lifeline are name brands that tend to cost more than others.

If you aren't sure the batteries are shot, you may want to remove them and have them tested. There could be a problem on the charging side.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:40 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Suggest you get grp 31 AGMs from Sam's Club for $179 each. Widely used in RVs and a reasonable price for AGMs. They are branded "Duracell" but made by East Penn batteries so excellent quality. Are mtce free so you won't need to add water monthly - a big bonus as it is not easy where the batteries are located on a slide out.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:58 AM   #52

In 99.9% of the time, you won't feel shocks from 6, 12 or 24 volt battery systems.

Lots of sparks and burns if the cables are wrong but rairly a shock to you.

If your messing with them while wet and lean across them, you may feel a slight tingle, no harm.

The other times involve removing power from an energized coil. The discharge will kick back for a quick harmless zap.

If you have a pacemaker, ask your doctor.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok. Thanks guys.

bobmac Would I be able to get those same batteries at Costco by chance do you know?

I deffinatly want maintenance free batteries. I don't mind paying more for batteries that will last a long time. Should I look into the 6 volt agm batteries? Do they last longer?

Also I'm going to take it in to have fluids changed and any software updates. Please advise on how extensive of a pm. Example tansmition fluids oil antifreeze ect.

Sorry for all the rookie stuff but I'll come up to speed in time.��
Old 06-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongmen View Post
The first thing I have to do to this coach is replace house batteries. They are 100% dead. Can anyone tell me their opinion on good quality batteries and where to get them? Also if someone has a link to a post on how to change the batteries in series Without getting shocked or damaging anything I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any replies.
Congratulations on your new coach! How did the test drive go? Did it steer well? Batteries: If you have no inverter, and the house batteries only power 12v lights, and you want to go cheap, consider 12v automotive batteries. That's what I did and the 2 Interstate 12v auto batteries are 3 years old now and going strong. Of course if you have an inverter, that goes out the window along with the dishwater. Originally when I bought it, the coach had 4 6v golf cart batteries. At one time, my coach did have an inverter, but it was not there when I bought the coach and my RV guy suggested the above solution and it works fine, including boondocking with no 120v power. Tell me about your fridge? Is it Dometic or Norcold? It takes a LOOONGG time for absorption fridges to cool down. First the freezer gets cold, and then the fridge compartment. Plan on at least 36 hours of fridge run time before food can be put in it. Keep her between the ditches!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Best of luck getting that coach back up to par. It's probably going to be frustrating and expensive, but you bought it cheaply enough to come out ok. Hope you can do some of the basic stuff yourself, e.g. replace batteries, change fluids & filters, etc.

You asked about batteries; I've published a short article on RV battery choices and the pros & cons of each type. It's in the IRV2 files library at iRV2 - Choosing An RV Battery
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
tommar thanks! it appears as though we did fairly well...time will tell. it drove nicely...it gets kicked around by the wind a little but not to badly.

It has a converter and a norcold fridge. Thanks for the info on the fridge.

Gary RVRoamer thanks for pointing me to your article I'll be sure and check it out.

I can do some maintenance myself but I'm thinking of letting a garage do it the first time because I want to focus on smaller things like changing out the batteries (once I determine what to buy) and changing out a hot water tank part that is suppose to be located in the rear bedroom closet. The guy that used to maintain the RV for the family told me it's about a $30 part and he will walk me through it on the phone when I'm ready.

Tags
itasca