Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #1

looking for a class A but on a fixed income

any help would be great now we have a 27 foot bumper pull and we are full time. We want a class A bad we can afford about 500 a month but we both have A low credit score and we want a 30 to 34 foot MH we also want to trade in our BP! where should I look and what should I look for as far as make model year ? what are bad spots to look for

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 04:02 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Try dreamfinders rv .com. They list good RV's for sale buy owner with special financing terms. You can probably get help there.

Bob
Capt (Ret)
2003 Damon Challeneger
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #3

I don't know about your home state (Texas) but in many areas joining a Credit Union is an easy way to obtain RV financing.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Go to rv.org pay what they want then make your choice
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by breed View Post
any help would be great now we have a 27 foot bumper pull and we are full time. We want a class A bad we can afford about 500 a month but we both have A low credit score and we want a 30 to 34 foot MH we also want to trade in our BP! where should I look and what should I look for as far as make model year ? what are bad spots to look for
The internet is a great way to shop. Find something that interest you and check the manufacturers as they may have archived brochures. Check consignment dealers like PPL for rigs. Just shop, make a list of what you need, want and nice to have.

I wouldn't use rv.org UNTIL I was close to making a selection. 7 out of the 10 pages they send you are the same info for every motorhome. The 3 pages you get for individual ratings are good. I would not make a decision soley on what they publish. JMO

Check out this thread too.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/buy-...st-147205.html
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #6

Are you looking for a gas unit or a diesel ?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I too would vote for starting with PPL. They're a huge consignment dealer and I believe they can even accept trade ins. Check out their website to both see what is currently listed and to review recent sales. This will give you an idea of what's out there and what it is selling for.

By a quick calculation in my head, I think a $500/mo payment will service a loan of about $25000 if financed for five years. Here's an example of a rig PPL currently has listed for that price. 2001 Hurricane 34E for Sale - A797 - PPL Motor Homes

Not sure how the credit rating thing will play into this but I guess you'll just have to cross that bridge when you come to it.

I suspect you should probably be looking at gassers. Most (but not all) diesel pushers are larger than you're looking for and maintenance on them could strain a tight budget. Besides, if you're not doing a great deal of travel, their benefits are largely negated.

Best of luck to you.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You need to back into this from the perspective of affordability. How much of a loan can you get and pay $500/month. And who will make a loan to you if your credit is poor? That may be a show-stopper right there, unless one of those places that have "special finacing" can help.

Next question is how much trade-in value for your trailer? The NADA RV guide will give you an idea, but remember that you won't get retail value for it. Wholesale is what the dealer gives - anything above that is merely a discount on his asking price. Dealers may well ask a higher price so they can give bigger trade-in values. You didn't mention the year or brand of trailer you have, so we can't begin to guess what it might be worth.

Once you have an idea how much of a loan you can get, and how much your trailer is worth, you can go shopping. I suspect you will be looking in the $18,000-$25,000 range, but that's a really off-the-wall guess.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
As I mentioned earlier, try dreamfindersrv.com. I have spoken to the owner ans this site helps people with challenged credit get some help in buying an RV. Check it out.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #10

Evergreen Owners Club
if you buy a newwer Rv under $ 100 k and have a loan for 15 to 20 years I would think your payment would be around the $ 500 mark
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
if you buy a newwer Rv under $ 100 k and have a loan for 15 to 20 years I would think your payment would be around the $ 500 mark
That doesn't compute. $500 x 180 payments (15 years) is only $90k, and that doesn't include any interest. $500/month might get a $50k loan, but a low credit score makes any long term loan problematic..
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbunz View Post
As I mentioned earlier, try dreamfindersrv.com. I have spoken to the owner ans this site helps people with challenged credit get some help in buying an RV. Check it out.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
thanks bob i'll look at it now and thanks to everyone! I want a gas only because the dp's are to much money. someone said we don't travel much that was funny but thanks.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
You'll also be upside down on it fairly quickly.

Can you afford the few thousand in tires that it's going to need every 5-7 years? Are you a do-it-yourselfer? RVs are like having a house and a car - you need to be skilled at taking care of both. Roof re-seal / inspect every year, pay for storage if you don't have it, insurance...

I'm just sayin', if your budget is $500/mo without a down payment, you might want to look at the reality in terms of cost to own.

Mileage 6-9 mpg, gas.. probably average around 7.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
You'll also be upside down on it fairly quickly.

Can you afford the few thousand in tires that it's going to need every 5-7 years? Are you a do-it-yourselfer? RVs are like having a house and a car - you need to be skilled at taking care of both. Roof re-seal / inspect every year, pay for storage if you don't have it, insurance...

I'm just sayin', if your budget is $500/mo without a down payment, you might want to look at the reality in terms of cost to own.

Mileage 6-9 mpg, gas.. probably average around 7.
yes I can the 500 a month is so we have plenty left over for what ever we need or want to do. and yes you could say I'm handy I'm a ASE cert. tech and rebuilt our hole trailer last year.