Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #1

Looking for advice

I AM STARTING MY SEARCH FOR THE RV WE WANT. WE DECIDED WE WANT A CLASS A AND THAT'S ALL WE'VE DECIDED. WE ARE PLANNING WINTER IN FL AND SUMMERS IN THE MOTORHOME. SO, WE WOULD LOVE SOME INPUT FROM FOLKS WHO HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE. DIESEL VS. GAS, NEWMAR VS. EVERYTHING ELSE, SIZE, EQUIPMENT. AS YOU CAN TELL I KNOW NOTHING. PLEASE SHARE YOUR OPINIONS AND EXPERIENCE.

THANKS!

FRANK & SUZANNE
frankgrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #2

You will get a lot of good information on here, and as you probably already know, folks will be pushing you towards the brand that they own. I think stating a price range would serve to get you some better responses. Buy your third RV first!! if you can, a lot of people have lost real money in depreciation as they buy their first or second RV and realize that they want more or something different and trade in for the better coach. All of the surviving coach mfg's out there have great products, so it's just a matter of finding what you like.

And for my 2cents worth- Check out the Newmar website and explore their Comfort Drive feature, it's a real improvement over normal power steering and the only other coach mfg that has it is Newell ( 1.5 million $) We're on our 4th coach and now can't imagine not having it.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Browse the threads for many months and read read read. Attend rv shows to get a feel for the floor plan you like the best. Then read some more. Even an older class a is/can be a pretty large chunk of change. Learn from all the hits and misses others have made. The hunt is a lot of fun. Don't look at any rig with any sense of urgency until you feel you have armed yourself with enough knowledge to pull the trigger. You have come to the right place. Use this great resource that is IRV2 and welcome aboard. Good luck with your search.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As nofurus says, you will great advice. I was told to figure out what floorplan you want before you buy. I would be amazed if you could really do that on your first coach! We bought used, and really glad we did. Who knows how long we will own it, but I figure using 6 or times a year for now is fine for a used, inexpensive coach, but hard to justify a new one. Now owning and using it for three years, my wife and I are finally coming to terms on what we really like, don't like, need and can do without...if we do buy again we will be better prepared. I expect I would buy used again..just many years newer so that I could get an extended warranty, should I desire (my current coach is so old it doesn't qualify). I'm thinking that when I am finally full-timing, I might want an extended warranty just to ease my mind. Anyway, shopping is fun, pulling the trigger is nerve-racking and traveling in it is the best feeling in the world!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you can, spend the money and rent a rig for a week and it will help you kinda figure out what you like and dislike. It will go a long way in your decision as to what you want. I would also purchase used if you can find what you want.
Craig & Carolyn Roberts 2006 Kountry Star KSDP 3910 2002 Saturn SL2
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi frankgrillo,
There are 3 major things to consider:
1. Floor plan (usually the wife's decision)
2. Will the coach carry all your stuff and you? (NCC or CCC)
3. Will the coach tow the car you want to tow? (GCVWR-GVWR) and hitch weight rating

The weight calculations are important because like people, over time, a coach will gain weight. After these are determined to be met, the decision can get as complicated as you want to make it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #7

First of all, welcome to the forum. Your question will receive many answers with many opinions. I will suggest you read in the brands sections and reveiw the opinions of the owners of the brandyou want to research. There is no way I could give a opinion on your needs. I will suggest a STRONG factory support after the buy. Dealers are dealers but the factory that backs their products are most iimportant to me. This is a big purchase and desicion, do your research well.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgrillo View Post
I AM STARTING MY SEARCH FOR THE RV WE WANT. WE DECIDED WE WANT A CLASS A AND THAT'S ALL WE'VE DECIDED. WE ARE PLANNING WINTER IN FL AND SUMMERS IN THE MOTORHOME. SO, WE WOULD LOVE SOME INPUT FROM FOLKS WHO HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE. DIESEL VS. GAS, NEWMAR VS. EVERYTHING ELSE, SIZE, EQUIPMENT. AS YOU CAN TELL I KNOW NOTHING. PLEASE SHARE YOUR OPINIONS AND EXPERIENCE. THANKS! FRANK & SUZANNE
You have some research and homework to do before the folks here can be of much service.
1. Is this to be a full timing coach?
2. Do you prefer new or are you comfortable with used?
3. What is a $$ budget for the coach?

You need to give some serious thought as to how you see yourself using the coach.
1. What type of campground/ RV resort do you see yourself staying in.
2. What length do you prefer?
3. Is a queen bed ok or do you require a king?
4. How many people will normally be traveling in the coach? Do you like to entertain in the coach & for how many?
5. How many miles to do see yourself traveling annually?
6. Do you see yourself cooking in a lot or eating out often?
7. Are you somewhat intimidated by the thought of driving a big coach or not ?
8. Do you want on board washer/dryer?

These are just a few of many questions you should discuss and use the answers to drill down to a list of:

1. Must haves.
2. Nice to have.
3. Don't care either way.
4. Undesirable.

While you are asking these questions you should be going to RV shows and rallies. You should plan visits to big dealers like Lazy Days in Tampa. You should walk through and sit in lots of coaches. You should test drive any coach that you think meets your needs.

Compared to other types of vehicles, motorhomes are all built by very small companies in very small quantities. There have been some very fine motorhomes built in the last 10 years and there are some very attractive coaches at very attractive prices on the market. The fun is to find the best one for your needs.

Good luck in your search.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote