Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2021, 01:19 PM   #1

Looking for advice! To sell, or not to sell?

I've been browsing this site for a number of years now, read a lot of great stuff that helped me in countless ways. Also read countless horror stories of things gone wrong. I've been a motorhome owner for 7 or 8 years now, and think I got the hang of it. Have had my ups and downs, like everyone else, but always came out fairly well. Nothing major, until now.
I am somewhat fanatical about maintance, and making sure everything is working properly. If a problem arises, I address it immediately, and if I cant fix it, I will have someone fix it for me. Although, everyone I deal with has like a 6 week wait. Not much here on Long Island NY.
I own a 2006 Newmar Kountry Star DP 3912 with 81500 miles on it, which I really enjoy. It drives nice, has many of the amenities that I want. I purchased it from the original owner who used to drive it from his home in NC to Fla every winter. He maintained it very well. He, unfortunately passed, and I purchased it from his wife. I got an exceptional deal on it, I think, 60k. I have had it for 3 years now. With the prices of used motorhomes today, I thought about selling it to take advantage of probably getting more than what I paid for it. Plus I like to upgrade every 4 or 5 years, Researched some websites and the prices for an 06 Kountry Star DP are crazy, 80 to 100k
But now here is my dilemma. I just noticed 2 small soft spots on the roof near the front AC unit, which causes me great concern. So I called a local rv roof guy who specializes in rv roofs, he quotes me 3k over the phone just for a patch, and upwards of 14k for a whole new roof. This is without even looking. So I called another company that is located in the southeast that does rv roofs only he he quotes me 6k, but I would have to get it down south, plus he is a mobile company, so I would have to find storage and then let them do it.
So after this rant, I was thinking of trying to sell it as is, with a reduced price of the cost of the new roof. Of course informing the buyer of roof situation. Or just get it fixed and hope nothing else happens, and then possibly selling it. Its in great shape,[moderator edit]
Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
eng309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2021, 01:36 PM   #2

If you want out of the RV world, make sure the leak is fixed, then sell, notifying buyer. If you want to keep RVing, keep it after leak is repaired, Do not have to replace roof because of leak ..Looks like A/C leak. Seems like a nice coach
Old 08-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #3

Depends on what you plan to do without an RV. If you're willing to wait 2, 3 or more years to buy again it might be worth it. If you plan on buying again pretty soon after selling you will be limited on what's available to buy. And most rvs in good condition go fast. New is backordered and are showing up built with Strange brand names of components due to suppliers shortages. So quality is lacking. Anything you buy (even new) will need many repairs. So the question is do you love your current coach? It's layout? If you have all the issues sorted you may just be better off keeping it. Even if you're throwing thousands into a roof repair it will probably be less overall then you will spend with a replacement rv. It really comes down to your preference. And keep in mind if you're selling yours for what you're thinking is an inflated market then remember anything you buy will also be inflated. So you're not saving anything. If you're getting out of the motorhome game altogether, then there has never been a better time to sell. Good luck!
gjames50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:45 PM   #4

I agree with fletch460, soft spots due to A/C leaks are fixable. No need for a new roof at all!

80K miles is low millage for a rig like yours. If it has the amenities that you like, fix the soft spots and keep enjoying it.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchu View Post
I agree with fletch460, soft spots due to A/C leaks are fixable. No need for a new roof at all!

80K miles is low millage for a rig like yours. If it has the amenities that you like, fix the soft spots and keep enjoying it.
Good advice here. Fix the roof and be assured that it will sell faster. It will give prospective buyers the feeling you took care of other problems also. Or decide to keep it.

Case in point. We just sold our 44’ Cyclone a couple weeks ago. Before I sold it, I noticed oil on one of the jack’s feet. I spent $580 replacing the jack and the guy that bought it was very happy.

My next purchase will be a motor home. I’ll expect the same treatment.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:46 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would get it repaired, list it for a higher price and if you get it, fine worry about replacing it over the winter when the market is lower
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #7

Thank you all for the great advice! Waiting on a couple of more estimates, have a trip planned for next week. We will enjoy the rest of the season, and then I will get it repaired. They way things are today, I think I will probably keep it for a bit, its been very good to me so far.
eng309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng309 View Post
Thank you all for the great advice! Waiting on a couple of more estimates, have a trip planned for next week. We will enjoy the rest of the season, and then I will get it repaired. They way things are today, I think I will probably keep it for a bit, its been very good to me so far.
It sounds like a good plan. You may make some money by selling now and buying later but you run the risk of buying someone else's problems. Your's will be fixed and will continue to serve you well.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, sell