Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2020, 08:52 PM   #1

Looking for Diesel experts! Cummins ISB 5.9 low power no smoke

Well we started a small trip, made it almost there, stopped to eat and then, just like that, she takes about 8 to 10 seconds to shift out of first gear at wot! We limped to our destination Then back home the next day.

Also my scangauge D stopped communicating with the ECM at the same time the power loss occurred. I had to pull the ECM fuses and power cycle the ECM for it to work again.

ECM is throwing 4 DTC codes
Pid 1E900 FM 9
Pid 16600 FM 4
Pid 1BE00 FM 2
Pid 58100 FM 7

I cant find these codes anywhere, called cummins and freightliner and they were no help either. Makes me think the ECM is at fault.

It will eventually run up to highway speed at wot. Boost pressure only rises Slowly with engine rpms up to about 18psi, Could get 30psi before.

Ive got steady 15psi fuel pressure at the VP44, fuel filters replaced recently, checked air filter and its good, im going to pressure test the CAC tomorrow. Turbo is a little over a year old and spins freely, the wastegate hose is connected. I will test the wastegate to see if it operates smoothly tomorrow also but i think its a fueling issue.

I have visually inspected everything on motor, all looks normal, no leaks etc.

While we were out of town i replaced the crankshaft sensor and MAP sensor but no joy.

Im thinking it may be either the ECM , VP44 or An injector issue but i dont know how to determine For sure.

I think running with no smoke that the fuel / air mix is good so that eliminates the air system and turbo and points to a fueling issue.

One other thing is the fuel burn at highway speeds is normal when you finally get there, between 4-5 GPH

And my CAC and radiator are clean. And EGT’s were normal at around 900degF all the way home but getting 1-2 less MPG than normal. Engine temp is normal.

Sorry for the long post but i wanted to list everything ive done so far.

Id sure like to get her running before hurricane season gets into high gear.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Ill post the solution when i get it figured out.
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2020, 03:59 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to hear of your troubles Jon.
I think those ECM codes you are getting are from ScanGauge. Call them for info.
Maybe a long shot...but happened to me similar. Check the air pump hose running along the passenger side valve cover. Mine developed a leak there that was only detected by running my hand under it. It was a tear that opened under pressure. I sourced a replacement from O'Reilly's. All was well after.
Good luck
Old 06-01-2020, 05:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles Jon.
I think those ECM codes you are getting are from ScanGauge. Call them for info.
Maybe a long shot...but happened to me similar. Check the air pump hose running along the passenger side valve cover. Mine developed a leak there that was only detected by running my hand under it. It was a tear that opened under pressure. I sourced a replacement from O'Reilly's. All was well after.
Good luck
I agree. I had the line come off once due to a loose clamp, and it had very little power. The only other thought is that if you are low on coolant in the surge tank, the engine will derate itself to limp mode. Make sure the coolant is at the high mark in the tank.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #4

Found the problem!!

Reading the electronic troubleshooting manual on Cummins quickserve, I learned theres a check engine switch under the dash that will flash the check engine light for codes. It flashed code 115 which is engine speed circuit (AKA crank position sensor) I had replaced this sensor while out of town but after plugging and unplugging it about 50 times with some WD40 i took it for a drive and it had full power again.

The fuel burn goes up to 15gph now where it was only 6 and the boost pressure is back to normal.

Yippee!!

Thanks to those who replied!
Jon
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great!!!

Tags
cummins, diesel, power