Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #1

looking for first motorhome

I`m going to look at a 2004 CC allure with 400 cummins,tag axle. My question is do all 400 cummins come with compression brake or is it an exhaust brake. Also, does the tag axle automatically dump air in the tag at low speeds and reverse or is there a manual switch. Thanks.
lowespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The Cummins ISL is a great engine. Cummins re-engineered the 8.3L ISC with a longer stroke crankshaft and new fuel system and achieved horsepower ratings from 370-450 and 1250 Ft Lbs of torque from a comparatively light weight package (1695#).

What model year is this coach and how many miles? In 2005, Cummins had an ISL wrist pin issue. They issued a recall for these engines, but the recall only installs a dash light and does not address the issue. See below for the dates and serial number range. (Remember, a 2006 coach generally has a 2005 engine.)

Defect Summary: CERTAIN ISL CUMMINS CM850 DIESEL ENGINES PRODUCED FOR RECREATIONAL VEHICLE APPLICATIONS BETWEEN OCTOBER 17, 2005, AND APRIL 18, 2006, WITH ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE FROM 46543077 TO 46603939. THE CONNECTING ROD CONTAINS A MACHINING DEFECT IN THE WRIST PIN BUSHING OF THE ROD THAT COULD CAUSE SEIZURE OF THE PISTON PIN.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ISL could be had either way, with a compression brake or an exhaust brake depending on what the MH manufacturer ordered.
I would expect the Allure to have the compression brake.
My tag is lifting and switch controlled from the dash.
You might try asking more detailed questions on the Country Coach forum here rather then the Class A forum.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

Our 04 Allure High Cascade, built in Sept of 2003 with a ISL370 (Cummins reprogrammed to 400 HP config.) CAPS era engine that was builtin July 2003 - has 2 Stage Jake Compression Braking.

The tag is manually controlled to lift, by a button on the controls to the left, identified with Tag. Once you get above a certain speed, think it's 10mph, the tag will automatically go back down for stability.

I'd suggest you get your engine serial number, contact Cummins and ask them for what engine is in our specific coach. Most 2004 models have the next generation of ISL, with the Common Rail and Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT). While Horsepower Torque are the basically the same as far as peaks - the VGT does pump more pressure, so the HP/Torque curves are superior to the CAPS era engine. Ask them to point you at a link that has the HP/Torque curves for your specific engine, and that will help you determine optimum RPM for hill climbing.

IMO, the ISL was just at the edge of Power to Weight ratios for the 40' Allure. (Mine is two slides, so a bit less weight then those with more slides.) It gets the job done, but has very little extra reserve capacity to help in passing and or hill climbing, so learning your optimum HP/Torque curves will allow you t get the most out of those situations.

One other tip, if not familiar with Jakes. The ISL CAPS era engine, and I believe the VGT era engine also, has a redline of 2600 RPM for operation of Jake Brake. The higher the RPM, the greater the Braking Horsepower. I personally control our downshifts when going down a long deep decent, to maintain the RPM's between 2000-2300 as my preferred RPM's. I may hit 2400 RPM before I stab the brakes enough to get it back down.

Just yesterday, we came down from East to West, Wolf Creek Pass (CW McCall song has been played the last few days!!) into Pagosa Springs, CO. We maintained the 25 mph speed limit during the decent, by mostly 3rd gear High Jake (Stage 2), and a few times down into 2nd gear too. Very few times did I need to stab the brakes to slow down a bit more, to engage 2nd from 3rd on a steeper or extreme corner areas of the decent.

Contrast that with a Country Coach with the Big Block CAT C12 - C15. And they with the larger displacement engines having higher Braking HP, probably would have comfortably stayed in 3rd the full way, maybe 2nd - but if in second, suspect they would have been in a less then High Compression stage. (Some of the BIG CATS came with 3 Stage Jake Compression, and I'd bet a bigger heavier 45' say Magna or Affinity would have had no problem in 2nd Stage 2nd gear, maybe even having to give it some fuel from time to time to stay up to 25 mph!)

In the newer CC's, Like MR D's, the ISX would be comparable to the BIG BLOCK CATS as far as Braking HP!

Allures are fine coaches. Hope this one checks out OK for you...
Best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Smitty:
I have yet to hit anything like Wolf Creek but so far I've never needed anything but the middle position on my three stage engine brake and 3rd gear even on easy passes like the Grapevine or Tehachapi so your estimate is pretty good.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a description of the changes made in 03, 04 and 05. It's not the coach brochure, but has some good info between the year models.

Model History | Damon Rapozo

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:52 AM   #7

Thank you for your input. This is a nice coach,but has a few issues.The headliner sags a little in a couple spots,some minor paint fade in a few spots.I can`t find a switch marked for the tag dump or compression brake and salesman is not familiar with coach.It has new batteries and the owner will put new tires on prior to sale. The coach is a CC Allure Newport 2004, build date of 12/03. Cummins ISL 370 with 87000 miles. The biggest problem is they havent been able to supply any service records and unless they do,it could be a deal breaker.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowespot View Post
The biggest problem is they havent been able to supply any service records and unless they do,it could be a deal breaker.
I'm amazed at the number of people who don't keep service records. We also keep them on our cars. It just seems logical to me.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:47 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If you hold out for service records, your selection of coaches is going to be limited. Surprising or not, many people keep no records, and nowadays privacy laws now pretty much force dealers to discard any records left with the coach (the records nearly always contain previous owner name/address/phone etc.).
An alternative is to plan on doing engine & tranny oil analysis and figure on spend $1000 or so bringing maintenance up to date. Fluids, filters, belts, etc. Some of that is going to be necessary even if there are records.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #10

Thank You for the replies

Tags
motorhome