Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 05:17 PM   #1

Looking for good camping chairs

We're tired of wasting our money on junk chairs

So, we're on our 2nd set of chairs in a year and these things just don't last.

The first set we bought were just like the ones in the attached pic and paid $80ea. @ Kohl's. Lasted 6 months. Thru them away.

We liked this style of chair so much we thought we'd try another manufacturer that we found on Amazon. 2 chairs $60 for the pair. Same thing. After 6 months starting to pull apart at the grommets and look at the color difference between the two chairs. One fading one not. Plus AGAIN, tearing at the grommets.

We are not big people.
Martin 6' 3" 195lb.
Joanie 5'3" 135lb.

We carry our chairs in the toad when traveling, so taking up room in the storage bay is not a problem.

Have any of you found a good, lasting camping chair that you use year round that wears well, folds up to a good footprint and has a decent life span?

The attached chair pic's below are only 6 months old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-chairs.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	196623   Click image for larger version

Name:	tearing-holes.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	196624  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We got Lafuma chairs. They have lasted for 10 years but are starting to sun rot.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:38 PM   #3

I don't have any suggestions for purchasing new chairs but if the frame of the chairs are in good shape why don't you have a Upholster make some really strong weebing. Since you obviously have spent a lot of money on the chairs you have now maybe you can get better material to withstand the day to usage and they'll last longer. If the frames are also becoming damaged then unless you repair the frames then your new weebing wouldn't matter. Good luck in your search, maybe someone else has a better solution.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by keger View Post
I don't have any suggestions for purchasing new chairs but if the frame of the chairs are in good shape why don't you have a Upholster make some really strong weebing. Since you obviously have spent a lot of money on the chairs you have now maybe you can get better material to withstand the day to usage and they'll last longer. If the frames are also becoming damaged then unless you repair the frames then your new weebing wouldn't matter. Good luck in your search, maybe someone else has a better solution.
Good point. Yes even the frames fill or leak in water when left outside in the rain. Then we have to remember to turn upside down and drain before we put in the toad. Frames are starting to rust too. I mean we FT, so our chairs are pretty much outside all the time and usually under the awning wind & weather permitting, otherwise if bad weather is approaching we fold them up and put them under a slide.

So yeah not interested in recovering or refurbishing these chairs.

We want something that lasts, doesn't rust, minimal fading if possible, doesn't pull away from the grommets or frame where it attaches and folds up nicely to put in the toad.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
We got Lafuma chairs. They have lasted for 10 years but are starting to sun rot.
Ok I looked these up on Amazon...wow $181ea.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4IVGM3...a-446683280127

Now if they last 10 yrs. I'd good with that.

So have you used yours all day, everyday etc. etc. in a FTing situation. Any rusting on the frames? Can you give us a little life style back ground on how you've used these chairs that have lasted you 10yrs.

I'd hate to spend $370 for 2 chairs and in a couple of yrs. right back to square one again.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #6

I know they must make a good quality chair that we're looking for because when we had our house, we purchased a pretty expensive outdoor patio furniture set when we had our pool built that set stayed outside 24/7/365 and after 5 years when we sold the house this set still looked brand new. No wearing, no rust, no fading. Now of course these chairs were meant for a more permanent location. Did not collapse or fold or light weight.

So we'd like to find a portable set of chairs, that fold up etc. that has this kind of lasting quality if they exist.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:12 PM   #7

We just replaced our chairs a couple of weeks ago. I like the zero-gravity chairs, wife likes a rocking chair, so after some searching we bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Our guest chairs took a beating over the years as well (beaching the boat, salt air, salt water, etc.) so we just replaced them with two of these:

I'm expecting to get at least 4-5 years out of them. They all seem to get great write-ups, but only time will tell.
jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:15 PM   #8

We had two from Walmart . Used with our rv some and left on our dock for years . Still were strong but rust from the metal was getting on our dock. Guess we were just lucky. Bought two from Bed Bath and Beyond at end of season for about the same price. We’ll see how long they make it
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
We just replaced our chairs a couple of weeks ago. I like the zero-gravity chairs, wife likes a rocking chair, so after some searching we bought these:

Our guest chairs took a beating over the years as well (beaching the boat, salt air, salt water, etc.) so we just replaced them with two of these:

I'm expecting to get at least 4-5 years out of them.
See that's what we pretty much have now.
We have Zero Gravity Chairs now. They come in all kinds of different flavors but the design is basically the same.

Ours is the same design as your posted link. That zig zag elastic rope material that goes through grommets. These grommets pull away from the fabric over a short amount of time.

We've bought 2 different sets of these chairs, from 2 different manufacturers—both Zero Gravity—with the same results.

And yeah, those other chair links are junk too. Those bottom plastic feet crack easily and you sink into them, can't recline are are terribly uncomfortable. But cheap and can find them anywhere.

Both sets of of Zero Gravity chairs have lasted 6 months. Hope yours last longer but after we've had 2 sets of them I wouldn't hold out much hope.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #10

Timber Ridge makes decent quality chairs. Costco (at least the store near us) has the Timber Ridge zero gravity chair for $69, which is considerably less expensive than the $119 price on Amazon.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Timber Ridge makes decent quality chairs. Costco (at least the store near us) has the Timber Ridge zero gravity chair for $69, which is considerably less expensive than the $119 price on Amazon.
See, Costco is one those "other flavors" of Zero Gravity chairs I was talking about. Zero Gravity chairs just don't last. Gone through 2 sets in one year.

Look at my original picture showing the grommets with the elastic piping that weaves through the grommets. It's just a bad design. It doesn't last.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2018, 06:41 PM   #12

Marjo,
Good point. Yes even the frames fill or leak in water when left outside in the rain. Then we have to remember to turn upside down and drain before we put in the toad. Frames are starting to ruts too. I mean we FT, so our chairs are pretty much outside all the time and usually under the awning wind & weather permitting, otherwise if bad weather is approaching we fold them up and put them under a slide.

Just a suggestion you might try drilling holes in the low spot of your chairs which should allow the water to drain out this would help with keeping the rust away but also maybe eliminate you having to dump the water out after a rain shower, or place covers over them although I know this can be somewhat chalgering. If you do drill holes place them in the center of the part your drilling this will reduce the stress in that area. I would think a 1/8" diameter hole should be enough. As before good luck in your search.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:50 PM   #13

We've had two Timber Ridge High Back chairs similar to these on EBay for a few years. Very well made, padded and comfortable. Ours do not have the adjustable legs but if I were going to replace them, I'd be looking seriously at these.

https://www.ebay.ca/i/112636222063?c...D1477159384859
Old 03-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Harbor Freight. Place for your beer and several packs of cigarettes a fold up side table and if you are looking for a color they have green. $19.99 on sale. I have 6 for my quests and me. Good Luck Richard The first two we purchased 6 years ago they have been left out fell in the Gulf and still work except for one I ran over with the Bus, it does not fold up to good any more.

Tags
camping, air