Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #15

Yes, they are! I maintain the Alfa Owner Registry and have a listing of over 800 individual owners. If you are an owner, contact me by email to be added and to get your own free updated copy. There are many more but some apparently think that letting folks know they own an Alfa and live in Sunnytown, USA will provide access to their bank accounts, expose US secrets to the Russians or something.

Like you said, I have never found an Alfa owner that didn't like their rigs. Unfortunately, as with every brand, there are folks out there with motorhomes that don't have the "fix it" ability needed to own anything but think they are God's gift to a tool box and innovation, and, God love em', give it a try but end up screwing it up with their band-aid fixes or creative modifications. After a couple of these owners, ANY motorhome will be a hot mess that you can pick up understandibly really cheap (yet still overpriced given their current condition.) With the manufacturer not having produced the brand since 2008 (out of business in March 2008) many of the coaches out there have had multiple owners and may be in less than pristine showroom-like condition or may not have even be "improved" by the "upgrades" that some of these owners did to them. Others, because of the quality of the initial build and having a conscientious and skilled owner(s), despite being anywhere from 12 -20 years old, will hold a candle or exceed the quality of any new coach being produced today. So the best advice for buying a used Alfa is to have a good inspection performed prior to pulling the trigger on the purchase. Price is not reflective of quality. As with any brand/model, many owners THINK they own a diamond when they try to sell, where in actuality, they are selling junk!

Alfas, however, are generally great rigs. And like someone said, if you hear someone saying otherwise, verify that they have owned one and aren't spewing hearsay that they have gotten off the forums from other non-owners.

Alfas, when they first came out, were a very solidly built coach on the Freightliner XC chassis with the See Ya and Founder models being powered by the 300 and 330HP Cat 3126E and later the 350HP Cat C7, or in the Gold models, the Cummins 400HP. Later models transitioned to the Mercedes engines.
jimharvey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #16

Some other manufacturers that made 32’-38’ coaches are:
Country Coach
Foretravel
Alpine Coach/WRV
Monaco
Trek/Safari

Keep in mind, if the gas coach was nickels and dimes, the diesel will be quarters and dollars.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:30 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I understand the Alfa loyalty, but just because I never owned one, doesn't mean I don't understand or can determine quality levels. I never owned a Yugo, but knew that it was a piece of junk.

We thoroughly looked over Alfa when they first appeared at the RV shows. They were said to be innovative, but were really more gimmicky. They were taller than most RV's out there at the time. Unfortunately, that extra height was well ahead of the chassis that it was built on and made for ill handling.

It did have a really deep slide on the driver's side, which was a nice feature. They even placed an additional TV in the kitchen, because the slide was soooo deep you couldn't see the front TV from the sofa.

The bedroom, had a huge crater in the roof, above the bed, that housed the satellite dish. Watch your head when you get up.

I pulled on all the fenders and was surprised they didn't break off. Not well built. They saved even more money by not painting any of them. It was definitely an entry level motor home, but in our search, we found Monaco OFFERED quite a bit more bang for the buck in those year models.

I know this will piss off some Alfa owners, but the OP is looking for opinions. You can find issues with just about any brand, but at the end of the day, I try to buy the best bang for the buck in my price range. Alfa was not a quality product to me.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #18

wow you musta seen the one bad one.. there is no crater and my model i can see front fine mine has full paint and you say the extra height aids ill handling.. wow shows you the dang thing is same height as yours just designed better.wanne see my fenders in a pull video.. you act like every coach is well taken care of ,,wanna see a bad dutch star or monaco i can find one as the duth star we turned downed was bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I understand the Alfa loyalty, but just because I never owned one, doesn't mean I don't understand or can determine quality levels. I never owned a Yugo, but knew that it was a piece of junk.

We thoroughly looked over Alfa when they first appeared at the RV shows. They were said to be innovative, but were really more gimmicky. They were taller than most RV's out there at the time. Unfortunately, that extra height was well ahead of the chassis that it was built on and made for ill handling.

It did have a really deep slide on the driver's side, which was a nice feature. They even placed an additional TV in the kitchen, because the slide was soooo deep you couldn't see the front TV from the sofa.

The bedroom, had a huge crater in the roof, above the bed, that housed the satellite dish. Watch your head when you get up.

I pulled on all the fenders and was surprised they didn't break off. Not well built. They saved even more money by not painting any of them. It was definitely an entry level motor home, but in our search, we found Monaco OFFERED quite a bit more bang for the buck in those year models.

I know this will piss off some Alfa owners, but the OP is looking for opinions. You can find issues with just about any brand, but at the end of the day, I try to buy the best bang for the buck in my price range. Alfa was not a quality product to me.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:29 AM   #19

2005 one owner Alfa Seeya 40ft Motorhome. Regularly serviced and maintained. 58,000 miles. Remodeled 4 years ago at MC Miller, Wakarusa IN. New carpet, front and rear roof A/C, 2 celling fan, 2 new fantastic fans, a copper look backsplash, residential refrigerator, 3 HD TVs, roller shades, new ceilings throughout, fiberglass roof, Winegard SK-1000 automatic satellite dish, New automatic Patio awning with LED lighting, new side toppers, motion detector light over the entry door, LED mood lighting underneath, LED head, tail and clearance lights, complete reskin, 4 color full body paint with clear coat and diamond shield on the front. Must see to appreciate Asking $65,000 but will negotiate,deal could include 2005 Chevy Astro that’s also one owner and ready to tow. I thought I would start here, she has been a fun coach! She is located in Myrtle Beach area now but was in Nashville TN from new till this past September 2019. DM if interested or torickdavis@aol.com

Attachment 304289Attachment 304290Attachment 304291Attachment 304292Attachment 304293Attachment 304294Attachment 304295Attachment 304296Attachment 304298Attachment 304299
Old 10-11-2020, 07:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Some other manufacturers that made 32’-38’ coaches are:
Country Coach
Foretravel
Alpine Coach/WRV
Monaco
Trek/Safari

Keep in mind, if the gas coach was nickels and dimes, the diesel will be quarters and dollars.
And what I'm looking for, a Winnebago Journey/Itasca Meridian 32T.

Dang! Those things are hard to find. When they do come up for sale, they are gone pretty quickly. I like the ISB. Plenty enough power for that sized coach.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel