Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2020, 08:55 PM   #1

Looking for new Diesel 32-38 ft...Alfa?

So I am about to ditch my 2000 Fleetwood Flair 32V with 70K on the Triton V10 after several years and it is beginning to nickel and dime me so my wife and I are looking at a rear diesel pusher in the 32 foot to 38 foot range and I see a lot of decent deals for under 50,000 miles and under or around the 45 to 60 K range and I have come to like some of the Alfa floorplans (36FD and 40FD)and it seems like they may not make that brand anymore and I am wondering why and if they are solid coaches mechanically particularly the freightliner chassis with the 330 hp Cummins or CAT and was also wondering if the basement air-conditioning is prone to issues or if it’s nice to not have roof air on top of your coach. I would be interested in some opinions on the Alfa line in the 2001 to 2005 range. It would be great to hear from some of the alpha owners regardless of the Lankes as long as it has the Freightliner chassis.

I am very interested in opinions of some other brands like holiday rambler and Tiffin. Our primary interest is in a coach that has a nice big shower and a washer dryer combination and not a dinette booth but a table and chairs that can be removed. It is going to be just the wife and I traveling 95% of the time and may be a few grand children but that is unimportant to us. We only need ONE couch too.
chucksel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #2

I can't remember all the details but Alpha diesel pushers get terrible reviews in these forums. From the things I've read I have ruled them out of my search. I'd encourage you to do lots of research before buying one.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #3

Seem Alphas that were in my search per budget ,size and age had terrible basement storage. I soon overlooked them after.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #4

Alpha is in fact out of business, and had some pretty serious delamination issues.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #5

Ask Alpha owners, virtually everyone that puts them down has never owned one.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #6

If you search, there is an Alpha owners site on the interweb.

We have a 2002 Winnebago Journey 36G and love it. It has the basement heat/AC which has performed quiet and flawlessly.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #7

ya theres a site but dont post it. its against forum rules. i have an '07 gold 1008 model and ceiling height is 7'6" you can stand up in the slideout no ducking. and storage oh my i cant fill it all but i dont know about shorter version and like the guy above said the only ones that give bad reveiws never owned one or just think reading the net is the truth.. when you find that fourum site you will have the biggest file registry with manuals and how to's that you wont need another site. i havnt meet an alfa owner how didnt like it.. there are some with the pitted exteriors but price reflects. mine is good shiney full paint.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2006_Alfa_See Ya.pdf (1.50 MB, 32 views)
Old 07-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #8

heres a 2004 brochure.. i have the 2007 brochure but is to large for the 3mb limit for pdf's. its the best brochure so if ya want it i can email it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2004brochure.pdf (2.34 MB, 25 views)
Old 07-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksel View Post
So I am about to ditch my 2000 Fleetwood Flair 32V with 70K on the Triton V10 after several years and it is beginning to nickel and dime me so my wife and I are looking at a rear diesel pusher in the 32 foot to 38 foot range and I see a lot of decent deals for under 50,000 miles and under or around the 45 to 60 K range and I have come to like some of the Alfa floorplans (36FD and 40FD)and it seems like they may not make that brand anymore and I am wondering why and if they are solid coaches mechanically particularly the freightliner chassis with the 330 hp Cummins or CAT and was also wondering if the basement air-conditioning is prone to issues or if it’s nice to not have roof air on top of your coach. I would be interested in some opinions on the Alfa line in the 2001 to 2005 range. It would be great to hear from some of the alpha owners regardless of the Lankes as long as it has the Freightliner chassis.

I am very interested in opinions of some other brands like holiday rambler and Tiffin. Our primary interest is in a coach that has a nice big shower and a washer dryer combination and not a dinette booth but a table and chairs that can be removed. It is going to be just the wife and I traveling 95% of the time and may be a few grand children but that is unimportant to us. We only need ONE couch too.

I would stick with a coach from a company that is still in business where you can get parts and support. Newmar, Tiffin, Entegra, Winnebago, etc.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #10

ya what parts are you talking 'bout?? dometic , atwood. genrac, pex lines, what?? latches, drawer stops, switches, ATS, chargers , inverters, water pumps, batteries, awnings, tires, wheels, filters, hinges, paint, bulb's, fusses, freightliner chassis parts, sealants, faucets, microwaves, furniture, flooring, slide seals, windshield's, roof sealant's, interior or exterior trim, wiring, ect ect ect..
I started remodeling in 1980 and ran into lots of discontinued wallpaper, bricks but everything else even building homes till 2005{went retail} is replaceable or can be fixed like an old '68 Nova tell me ya dont want it.. and Support well go find the the Alfa site and tell me about support. if you have a problem it is answered, and until you go there and see you cant dispute.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:17 PM   #11

or what about the discontinued models still supported here in manufacturers forum?? are they no good??
Old 07-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
ya theres a site but dont post it. its against forum rules. i have an '07 gold 1008 model and ceiling height is 7'6" you can stand up in the slideout no ducking. and storage oh my i cant fill it all but i dont know about shorter version and like the guy above said the only ones that give bad reveiws never owned one or just think reading the net is the truth.. when you find that fourum site you will have the biggest file registry with manuals and how to's that you wont need another site. i havnt meet an alfa owner how didnt like it.. there are some with the pitted exteriors but price reflects. mine is good shiney full paint.
Thank you. I have been looking at several of these online and seems the 36FD is most popular. The Gold and Founder has a few too but I am averse to 40 foot. Need to stay 38 or under. Seems 40 is the most popular size in rear pushers in general.

I will peruse the forum you allude to.

Many thanks,
Chuck
chucksel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:02 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We know and travel with a few Alfa owners, including one which was purchased new, who are all still very happy with their rigs. I wouldn't let the nay sayers put you off your search. Every motor home on the road has had either warranty claims or quality issues.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #14

Parts is parts the Alphas have the same parts as the big boys. Looking out my trailer window I see two Alphas. They're pretty common.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel