Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #15

People are often very proud of any product they pay more for than others choose to...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 12:50 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looking for new tires

A tire’s country of manufacture is almost becoming meaningless data. The tire industry, both consumer and commercial, is multi national. Major brands like Goodyear and Sumitomo have plants in many countries. Iirc, Goodyear maintains its HQ in Ohio but is actually now a British-owned company.
CR did a report on this a few years ago:
“The Goodyear tires we tested were built in Canada, Chile, Germany, and the U.S. Michelin tires were manufactured in Italy, Spain, and the U.S., but none came from France. And the tires we tested from Italian tire maker Pirelli were made in Mexico and Russia.” CR, Oct 14, 2015. I bought a full set of Michelins for my coach 6 years ago. They’re still going strong and all 6 were made in Spain.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:22 AM   #17

Is this a reasonable statement?

"All makes of tires can fail, and when they do, you will hear about it in forums such as this. What we usually are unable to learn is why."

I've seen lots of comments about this Michelin or that Goodyear tire failing, but not so much for the Yokos, Toyos, etc. Is that because the existing motorhome 'fleet' has been dominated by Michelin and Goodyear for many years and that, statistically, reported "failures" reflect said numbers. As the MH 'fleet' wearing Michelins and Goodyears declines, I expect to see more reports such as, "Those dadgum Toyos are #$*^& tires!" Penny for your thoughts.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:14 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I ran my OEM Michelins 9 years and they looked perfect both inside and out when I got new tires.
Just because they look good doesn’t mean they are still sound and safe. Good looking tires have been known to fail. Age does not guarantee that they are unsafe but it certainly increases the probability of failure.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #19

I am currently running a regional truck tire, Goodyear G661 HSA. Like you, I am now shopping for new tires and plan to go with the Goodyear Endurance RSA, which replaces the G661’s I now have. My current G661’s have been excellent tires.

One thing of note, I received an email from CoachNet yesterday and they have a discount program for Goodyear tires.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbman57 View Post
My new to me DSDP need new tires. Ages out after 7 years.
Mr Tire says the brand isn't as important as the warranty and service after the sale.
What are your thoughts?
Love this website.
Thanks.
Only so many ways to make a tire, without getting into real trouble, with lawsuits and looming bankruptcy. However I'm open to any chemical and/or mechanical engineering data that technically explains the difference between an expensive vs a least expensive tire, that carries the same DOT number rating on the sidewall. Have no idea as to warranties and such, as they very seldom come into play.
Having said that, I now go with buying just the tires and not for the name.
Consequently, I'm running HERCULES in a 295/80R-22.5 and have used these on our old gas coach, as well, over all kinds of terrain, from one coast to the other..... Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - News Releases
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
Interesting read on many forums where owners compare tires against Michelin. Seems that Michelin holds some sort of comparison standard to purchase other brands of tires. Just saying...🚍🤠

He who has the best marketing wins!

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
Interesting read on many forums where owners compare tires against Michelin. Seems that Michelin holds some sort of comparison standard to purchase other brands of tires. Just saying...����
Could be that most new coaches come with Mich or GY, and thereby implanting a chip of sorts withing the buyer's brain for future purchases, lasting to the end of time.
Since the former company is a marketing genius, in itself, I would be most interested to know, what the RV manufactures pay for a set vs what the private consumer pays.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
👍🚍🤠
Old 03-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Could be that most new coaches come with Mich or GY, and thereby implanting a chip of sorts withing the buyer's brain for future purchases, lasting to the end of time.
Since the former company is a marketing genius, in itself, I would be most interested to know, what the RV manufactures pay for a set vs what the private consumer pays.
I agree that the reason RV people compare to Michelin and Goodyear is that those are the two brands on the majority of motorhomes from the factory.

I would add that part of the "marketing" plan by Michelin is to create the RV specific sizes that other brands do not make. Many RVers might think that if the manufacturer provided that size then they must stick to that size which means Michelin tires.

Many of the post on the forums about changing from Michelin deal with what is the appropriate size in other brands. One of the reasons I went with a truck tire is that they are easily available at every truck stop in the US. Thus it should be easy to find if I need to during my travels.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #25

Full time. 8 Michelins. Great warranty. No failures. 7 year cycle. $700 each. $800 per year. $67 per month.
I’m good with that!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
People are often very proud of any product they pay more for than others choose to...
I could not agree more.
If you cover them while parked, Keep the proper pressure in them and balance them at proper intervals the majority of RV tires will need to be replaced because they are old, not worn out. If you are full time and travel every week then I might advise differently. OR..... go ahead and spend $700/tire if it makes you feel better. I run Hurcules @ $225 each and plan to run them 10 years.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One of the brands I've looking at is Dunlop. They are owned and made by Goodyear. Probably on the same line, 245/70 R19.5s. Local tire guy recommends them.
Dan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #28

Looking for new tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
If you are full time and travel every week then I might advise differently. OR..... go ahead and spend $700/tire if it makes you feel better. I run Hurcules @ $225 each and plan to run them 10 years.

My tires are 295/80R22.5. 8 of em at $700 each (FMCA discount), doing it again after over 80K miles is a good deal.
Buy whatever tires you may choose. And happy trails!!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires