Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #1

Looking for some clarity on my Lithium batteries...

I installed three Battle Born 100 AH batteries in our Phaeton, as well as the Victron BMV-712 Smart, battery monitor. Having this wifi app with this Victron has me checking it daily, somewhat like a 'new-toy' to see how things are progressing. I've had them connected now for a week and a half or so, and right from the start after setting all the settings as Battle Born stated, it was showing 100% charged, and 13.72V, so all was good.
All this time, we're hooked up to 50A service, and yesterday the batteries where showing 97% charged, and today 96% charged, at 13.48 V values.

It was mentioned, that for Lithium Ion, that they don't necessarily like to be at 100% for longer periods, so I'm wondering if the BMS has recognized that, and allows it to fluctuate somewhat? In the 'Battery Settings' I have the "charge efficiency factor' set at 99% (not 100%)...so I'm just trying to understand this whole charging factor for these and if it's not worth worrying about whether they're at 100% (or thereabouts) anyway?

I will mention, I have the Xantrex 2000 inverter/convertor, and the OEM remote (cabinet above drivers seat) is still in operation...but wasn't told to disconnect it, and wonder if it has any status towards the batteries functions, now that the Victron monitor is now in use?

Hoping to learn more on these batteries over time, but all is still too new, but find it will be nice not to have to worry about the 50% charging, as I did with my lead-acid batteries. I do have the ability to add more as time allows if needed, but thought I'd start with 3 and see how things progress!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Following

Is the Xantrex 2000 still your primary means of charging the batteries. Did you change any of the parameters for charging, I've read that lithium need a higher charging voltage. Did you change any of the set points for % charge limit.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:53 PM   #3

I would call Battleborn and ask them if your xantrex can be set to the proper voltages the batteries require for best service.
https://battlebornbatteries.com/char...ibility-table/
Old 03-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Following

Is the Xantrex 2000 still your primary means of charging the batteries. Did you change any of the parameters for charging, I've read that lithium need a higher charging voltage. Did you change any of the set points for % charge limit.
^^ this.

If you did not change the settings on your inverter charger from the previous lead acid settings, you won't get a full charge.

Lithium can take all the amps the charger can push, unlike lead acid which can only take a partial charge, and then goes to float at lower amps.

Xantrex can tell you which setting will work for your charger/battery combo.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Following

Yes, the Xantrex is primary whether on shore power or engine Alternator, and of course the Onan generator when needed. I have gone into the Victron settings as per where Battle Borns expectations are, as they contacted me via an e-mail. No changes have been changed via the Xantrex Inverter remote battery monitor.
Powerstroke2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:15 PM   #6

A battery monitor does not control charging, it only monitors it.

The Xantrex does not control alternator charging. The alternator charges the chassis battery and is regulated by that.

An isolation solenoid controls the charge coming from the chassis battery to the house batteries. No inverter involvement.

You should be setting your Xantrex charging output per Battleborns specs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #7

What they said. Battle Born should have settings for the Xantrex or will help you figure them out. The monitor is just that, a monitor. Any settings for the monitor are just to adjust it so it accurately counts amps in and out of the battery bank.

We also have three Battle Borns. On shore power, the state of charge does fluctuate. We're at 97% right now, down ten amps, voltage is 13.26 and current is at -2.3A. We've been on 50 amp for three days. That's pretty normal from our experience.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I found this in the FAQ portion of the Battleborn site
https://battlebornbatteries.com/buy-...po4-batteries/
and a short video
https://battlebornbatteries.com/char...ers-recommend/

I also have the Xantrex 2000 inverter and the manual shows charging options on page 13 of my manual. They do not match what is recommended so I would suggest contacting Battleborn and see what they recommend.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke2000 View Post
I installed three Battle Born 100 AH batteries in our Phaeton, as well as the Victron BMV-712 Smart, battery monitor. Having this wifi app with this Victron has me checking it daily, somewhat like a 'new-toy' to see how things are progressing. I've had them connected now for a week and a half or so, and right from the start after setting all the settings as Battle Born stated, it was showing 100% charged, and 13.72V, so all was good.
All this time, we're hooked up to 50A service, and yesterday the batteries where showing 97% charged, and today 96% charged, at 13.48 V values.

It was mentioned, that for Lithium Ion, that they don't necessarily like to be at 100% for longer periods, so I'm wondering if the BMS has recognized that, and allows it to fluctuate somewhat? In the 'Battery Settings' I have the "charge efficiency factor' set at 99% (not 100%)...so I'm just trying to understand this whole charging factor for these and if it's not worth worrying about whether they're at 100% (or thereabouts) anyway?

I will mention, I have the Xantrex 2000 inverter/convertor, and the OEM remote (cabinet above drivers seat) is still in operation...but wasn't told to disconnect it, and wonder if it has any status towards the batteries functions, now that the Victron monitor is now in use?

Hoping to learn more on these batteries over time, but all is still too new, but find it will be nice not to have to worry about the 50% charging, as I did with my lead-acid batteries. I do have the ability to add more as time allows if needed, but thought I'd start with 3 and see how things progress!
The BMS will NOT “recognize” that the batteries don’t like to sit at 100% SOC. The slow decrease in your displayed SOC is probably due to the charge efficiency factor being set to 99% vs. 100%. I think your batteries are actually at 100% but the Victron is showing a slight decrease. With my battery monitor I found to be most accurate over time I needed to set it to 100% efficiency. Experiment with different efficiency factors and see which works best.

I think that sitting on shore power for any length of time should be treated as a storage situation and decrease the SOC to about 50% and hover around there. This can accomplished with turning the Xantrex charger off for a while and then cycle ON and OFF as needed. In a few weeks bring the pack back up to 100% SOC and repeat.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lithium