Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2019, 11:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Need to reread post 32.
If you read my post and especially my sig., you would know I am talking about my engine. ISM....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2019, 11:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Im looking at them and Alpine as well. Im still keeping an open mind. It would be very easy to just pick up the 2014 Tuscany and it would be adequate, but I really value the better build quality and equipment of the older higher end rigs.

Still curiuous about the maxxforce 10; 1150 tq is apealing if they have a good reputation. Seems like Monaco wouldnt use them if they were problematic, but....?
Tiffin put a Maxxforce in one of their smaller pushers and Bob himself admitted it was a mistake. They shut down production of that model for a year to redesign. Even the big names make booboos from time to time. You won’t go wrong with the 400hp ISL in a 34-36’ coach. There were some engines with wrist pin issues in 2005 and the engine numbers are documented. First page on the Commins forum has the info.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
If you read my post and especially my sig., you would know I am talking about my engine. ISM....
I did read your post and your signature. And I said the ISX explodes. That’s what Mr D has and he has paid large sums of money to have it fixed. He is contemplating having it replaced again as a preventative measure.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:03 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Need to reread post 32.
Read #36, all my comments were on the ISM, not the ISX.
Not really sure what point you are trying to make. Think everybody knows that the ISM is not the same engine as the ISX. There is a big difference between different years and models of Cummins engines.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:35 AM   #47

Quote:
So first off, yes I could spend a lot more than 150k but I'm trying to be conservative here, and so nothing is chump change. I have good monthly income so fuel/maint isn't a big deal, but depreciation is. So without going into excruciating detail, I just found this:

https://www.rvt.com/Monaco-Knight-36...49341-UX150403

A little older, a little bigger, but nice with good specs. But other than the basics, I don't know much about the 350/1150 maxxforce 10 - does it have a good reputation for durability and being low maintenance? I Think it has a 20,000 mile oil change interval with something like 30'qts and I like that, but it seems like this is pretty much Cummins country. Any issues with this motor? Its close enough I can go see it tomorrow.

On the other end of the spectrum is a 2014 Thor Tuscany 360/800 34' with 8,000 miles for the same price. Nice coach, but I think the comments above probably apply and its 2000 miles from home. But it seems like a good value and its quite nice as well.

Comments?
Couple things that I personally would need to look closely at;

Not sure about -
Rear Radiator
MaxxForce / I6 Diesel - ****
Brakes - Front Brake Type Hydraulic Disc
Rear Brake Type Electric Drum ?
Booth
Shower Size
Washer Dryer?

TV location
Condition
Compact nature of the layout - but almost 40'
Negotiable

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2011-...-36pft-tr10116

http://media.rvusa.com/library/11_knight_a.pdf

Engine and Brakes both need some serious study - Non def

"The DT engines in our fleet are constantly breaking down with poorly designed EGR coolers that we monitor with engine oil samples looking at sodium and potassium levels. Once they are over a certain level we immediately test and replace the cooler. They are only available from the dealer $2100.00 which a 500.00 increase from a year ago."

After my study I would probably not even look at it without a LONG and Complete engine warranty.

I'm not a Thor guy - I'd keep looking.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Read #36, all my comments were on the ISM, not the ISX.
Not really sure what point you are trying to make. Think everybody knows that the ISM is not the same engine as the ISX. There is a big difference between different years and models of Cummins engines.
No point really. Other than the ISX info was in regard to Mr D’s post. I interpreted it the same as you. Thanks for clarifying your interpretation of his implication. While these sidebar exchanges can be moderately entertaining, it would best for us to go back to helping our friend find a coach.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:43 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Still curiuous about the maxxforce 10; 1150 tq is apealing if they have a good reputation. Seems like Monaco wouldnt use them if they were problematic, but....?
THE Monaco didn’t...after Monaco went under (2009) Navastar (IHC) bought the rights and put their Maxxforce engines in. EPA did them in around 2012 because their engines were not meeting the 2010 stricter pollution requirements. The REV group then bought basically the name as the newest Monaco has nothing in common with the first Monacos...no outboard airbags. The Roadmaster chassis and semimonocoque construction (Google it)...is what made Monaco’s so much better than most at the time.

IHC trucks do not enjoy a good reputation and their lower prices or recent engine rebuild is all you need to know.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:04 AM   #50

5 years ago I was in your shoes and learned that coaches with Maxxforce engines are not worth the money; they are not as reliable, service is rare, and resale is awful.

Alpine is your target. Good construction, good power, more bang for the buck than the more expensive CCs and a lot less expensive than Foretravel. Example: https://www.maplegroverv.com/sales/p...alpine-36fdts/

For your purposes, consider coaches from 38' with tag axles. They usually have ample power and are high-end by definition. The extra length might take your coach/toad length from 58' to 60'...not worth sniffing at.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #51

We've got a 2005 Am Coach Tradition (40') and tow a 2015 F-150. Got a Cummins ISL (370 HP/1250 torque) and have no problems towing. When we get into higher grades then it will slow down but not much. Going over the crest is another issue though. Too much speed and it could make for an exciting experience.

A buddy has a 2005 Fleetwood Revolution with the cat c7 and it has pretty much the same specs. He tows and has no problem either.

Both cummins and cat are good. Plenty of torque which is what you need when moving the brick down the road and towing something.

Stay 65-70 and all will be good. Safe travels.
dbhhcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #52

Forest River Owners Club
Been there, done it. My prior coach to my current Sunseeker was a 2007 Monaco Holiday Rambler DP, 36', 2006 Cummins ISL 400HP, 1200 ft lbs of torque, disk brakes, 4 slides, etc., etc. (Monaco purchased Holiday Rambler).

Too bad you weren't looking 2-1/2 years ago when I was downsizing.

Power you want, this coach had it. The 2006 engine had no smog junk on it that became required in 2007. If you are familiar with the I80 highway through Colorado, I drove it 6 times over 2 years, passing every other RV and 18 wheeler on the road. Plus, I was towing a 5000 lb Hummer H3 behind me.

Find a coach like that and you will be pleased.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #53
Saf

Cummins 1999 thru 2002 had injector fuel pump problems that cost over 5k to repair, plenty posts on IRV2 boards.
Saf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #54

Texas Boomers Club
If you like the class c but not enough power I would recommend a super C. I downsized from a 40 ft diesel pusher to 36 foot diesel puller. Love the power and handling better on the new super C. Mine is a Thor four winds 35sf. Love it!
Glensouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #55

Foretraveler, without hesitation.

MotorHomes of Texas in Nacogdoches, TX is a very reputable outfit that sells used moho’s with excellent repair facilities, too.

Check ‘em out online.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:52 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
36 ft with 8.3L

1000ftlbs

pull a Wrangler Unlimited. can accelerate I75 grades in Tenn

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...eipts-adDetail

2007 NEWMAR 3613 VTDP
2015 WRANGLER JKU toad
Doodlebarge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags