Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #85

Such bs.

age maintenance use and care

That is 90%
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #86

I was in the same boat too, year ago, we purchased a 2011 38' Berkshire DP with a 340 Cummins with 7800 miles. We pull a 5000# toad with no issues. Love the coach. We have owned everything camping i.e. tents, pop-ups, overhead campers, travel trailers, 5th wheels, so we were ahead of the game when it came to RVing.
My advise is - Do you homework on all coaches, because they are not the same. Take your time to find the right deal, took us 24 months but this included research and many deals falling through. Note that after RV purchase there is still many items to purchase I.e. toad expense, hoses, sewer, oil change (if not done), dishes, cable, Dish hook up (if you have it) etc.. storage (we have property so not an issue), fuel 100 gal tank, cost add up. Good luck hope all goes well!!
Danesrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:04 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saf View Post
I guess then the majority of hard working daily truckers facing those conditions shouldn't even get on the road.
Apples and oranges.

Truckers HAVE to be on the road, and the weight of their loads...combined with the miles on their drivetrains, makes their driving what it is. They don't have a choice; especially company drivers that get in a cab and scoot (sorta)

Motor Homes WANT to be on the road. Most want to not hold up traffic, and enjoy being able to keep up.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Apples and oranges.

Truckers HAVE to be on the road, and the weight of their loads...combined with the miles on their drivetrains, makes their driving what it is. They don't have a choice; especially company drivers that get in a cab and scoot (sorta)

Motor Homes WANT to be on the road. Most want to not hold up traffic, and enjoy being able to keep up.
Precisely and thank you for adding some perspective on that one in the form of possitive input - I was somewhat at a loss trying to respond to it while staying in bounds. (. )

For those still "on topic" Im going to look at a low miles, one owner 2006 34' Country Coach Inspire today. The owner is a retired ASE certified wrench who now teaches the subject, does all his own maintenance, keeps good records, and clearly understands the mechanical systems, care, amd maintenance. All reassuring to me when considering something this old. And he's local - more or less a neighbor.

Its a 400hp Cat and my prejudices lead me to prefer an ISL Cummins. Also 4 slides and its 16 years old which worries me a bit. Anyone have input/experience on these two items?
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:54 AM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
As an aside, another criteria is enough unimpeded roof space for my solar equipment. I have six 315w LG panels on my 31' class C, and while I dont necessarily need that much, Id like to keep the system in tact - it runs my AC which is handy when Im not plugged in and dont want to run the generator.

So I always look at the roof with that in mind. The system includes a Victron 24v 3000w inverter, two MPPT 150/35 controllers, transfer switch, and two lithium battery banks. I built the system as a module so I can easily transfer it to my next coach, leaving the old unit functional but without an inverter - it didn't have one originally. Didn't even have a transfer switch. So that complicates things a bit on a coach this size woth two AC units, but hopefully I can make it all work.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #90

You should have no problem finding space to mount 6 panels on the roof of a 34’ Class A. CC made a high quality coach and if my math is correct, it’s only 13 years old. I wouldn’t have many concerns about the age of the coach, especially if it has been well maintained.

Belts, hoses, steering and suspension components should be examined closely along with all the other PPI items. If the Cat isn’t a deal breaker you’ll be driving a great coach soon.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Precisely and thank you for adding some perspective on that one in the form of possitive input - I was somewhat at a loss trying to respond to it while staying in bounds. (. )

For those still "on topic" Im going to look at a low miles, one owner 2006 34' Country Coach Inspire today. The owner is a retired ASE certified wrench who now teaches the subject, does all his own maintenance, keeps good records, and clearly understands the mechanical systems, care, amd maintenance. All reassuring to me when considering something this old. And he's local - more or less a neighbor.

Its a 400hp Cat and my prejudices lead me to prefer an ISL Cummins. Also 4 slides and its 16 years old which worries me a bit. Anyone have input/experience on these two items?
Just so you get your information right, the coach you are looking at would be a Country Coach "SIENA" Inspire and it would be 36'.

I have a C-9 Cat the only down side is you need to change the oil at 5-6K miles, and fuel filters every other change because of the HEUI pump.

2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Just got back from viewing the coach. All maintenance is up to date. Maint records since new. New belt, engine start and coach batteries, genny just serviced, all fluids and lube done and all the zerts are easy to get to. He even painted the entire under-carriage with rust-oleum when he bought it. Also deleted the dinette and spent $4000 on a built in office/desk which matches the woodwork amd counters perfectly and is quite nice.

Quite a few other quality upgrades/updates as well. Added a macerator, some fresh water filters, relocated a couple items for easier maintenance. Also all the slide motors are easily accessible and slides can be returned manually. Also comes with a store of spares of every filter. Beautiful coach. Very high quality, no damage, always stored inside. So its a strong candidate.

I'll drive it next week. Also forgot to look at the brakes and tire dates. Pouring rain right now. But he lives near me and if I buy it, he'll be available for questions, we'll do some maintenance together, that kind of thing. Price is towards the high end for this model/year, (about like buying in Junction City) but it only has 30k miles. and its clearly in the high quality/condition range too.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #93

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Just so you get your information right, the coach you are looking at would be a Country Coach "SIENA" Inspire and it would be 36'.

I have a C-9 Cat the only down side is you need to change the oil at 5-6K miles, and fuel filters every other change because of the HEUI pump.

2 stroker
I'll have to check into that. He's calling it a 34 but it looked bigger to me. It has the "Inspire" logo inside over the door.

Id change the oil that often regardless of the reccomended interval, so that works for me. Ill just buy a drum of delo or rotella 15-40. Oil is cheaper than bearings. On my class C I change the oil every 3000 where ever I happen to be. My new ford 6.7 every 5000 or sooner depending on use. So thats fine, but can you explain the HEUI pump issue? Is it harder on the oil? I thought this was a faily common system.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #94

I stand corrected, CC did build a 34' coach and it is called the Modena.
https://www.byoungrv.com/Pre-owned-I...48094?ref=list

Here is some info on the HEUI system.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ui+fuel+system
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:06 PM   #95

Country Coach, nice. It was one of our choices when we got down to the final few, but we couldn't come together on the price with the seller. A lot of old timers still around the Junction City area for help. Winnebago now owns all the rights and property of the Country Coaches, but I don't think they are going to build any, at least they won't be like the originals. The new Horizon, IIRC, is being built in Junction City, I think the Tours and Grand Tours are gone.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
45 ft., tag axle, ISM500
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:01 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Price is towards the high end for this model/year, (about like buying in Junction City) but it only has 30k miles. and its clearly in the high quality/condition range too.
Pay the extra money up front (and maybe finance it?) for a well-taken-care-of coach, or drop several thousand dollars to make repairs down the road.

It doesn't hurt me a bit to spend other peoples' money but from what I've learned from experience, get the best maintained coach you can, and it will reward you.

P.S. regarding age...mine is 16 years old and Everything works as it should, so don't worry about years. Some years of CC had paint checking problems, so check the paint condition, check for an aluminum radiator instead of steel (magnet), and then go enjoy a fine coach.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Before you believe anyone about towing a truck through the mountains at freeway speeds or even 55, best to read this:https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/engine...erformance.pdf
I had not seen that link before, but found the information very informative. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #98

Premier RV

Hello everyone,
I've been lurking awhile now, this post caught my attention because we're in the same boat. However, we would like a 45' DP. I am considering the Entegra, Newmar and Foretravel brands, all used. But now the CC seems intriguing to me. Has anyone dealt with Premier RV and recommend them? We work in western Alaska, so will be traveling down south when not working (6mo/yr). I like the fact that Premier has a storage option. I'll be research CC's now. I welcome anyone wanting to help me spend the $ Year of coach is important as I want to finance our coach.
TIA,
RC
anavycrna08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel