Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #1

Looking for suggestions for best house batteries.

I have a 2000 Winnebago class A motorhome and I'm looking for suggestions for the best house batteries to buy.
Thank you in advance.
Larry B
buzzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 08:57 PM   #2

There are no better batteries than the Optima series. The one in my pickup is 10-years old and still going strong. They aren't cheap.

Jim
Invisable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzyb View Post
I have a 2000 Winnebago class A motorhome and I'm looking for suggestions for the best house batteries to buy.
Thank you in advance.
Larry B
Depends. (-:

What criteria defines best? Is cost a factor of totally irrelevant? Maintanace free a factor? Do you do lots of dry camping, never/seldom dry camp? Wet batteries are typically cheapest to buy, provide long life, and have good capacity. Trojan is popular brand. Next up is AGM type, which are more costly but maintaince free. Lifeline are popular.

Then there are...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
That is the kind of question that starts religious wars. That said, I have been happy with the 6V GC2 (golf cart) batteries I bought at Costco 2.5 years ago. I have four of them on two series/parallel pairs yielding 440 amp hours, roughly 200 amp hours usable.
These are wet cells, so every couple of months I have to spend 5 minutes checking and topping up the (distilled) water, but that was what I signed up for to save a lot of money over sealed batteries. That also gives me a chance to check the cables for corrosion, a very good thing, too.
Costco now sells Interstate batteries for a little more money than the Kirkland branded batteries I bought. Interstate has a good reputation. Trojan is another good brand. I am not familiar with 12V deep cycle batteries, but I know there are good ones, too.

HTH,

Bob
Old 10-22-2016, 10:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Best to not best

Lithium (new technology, EXPENSIVE! Requires a new charging system)
Lifeline (expensive but awesome!)
Trojan 6v
other AGM brands
6v Golf Cart battery from the big box store (this is what I use, last set lasted 10 years)
Large 4D Truck battery
Deep Cycle RV/Marine 12v
Standard 12v auto battery

Probably left a few out, but others will chime in.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:18 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best bang for your buck would be GC-2 6V batteries plus a Pro-Fill battery water system. I have six Interstate going on two years from Costco. My local store has them for $86.99 each. With the Pro-Fill system my batteries stay clean, no corrosion on the terminals.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bought my two at Costco 10 years ago.
That's your own asphalt.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #8

Not sure what you have now for batteries (6v or 12v) and how many, but my coach has two 6v golf cart batteries. I have been investigating as well and have been impressed by the US Battery 6v specifications. I am still looking though.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I bought 4 house 6v from Sams in 2012 for $79 for each they are still doing a good job hope this helps price has proably went up
Old 10-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I've got 4 6V Lifeline AGM batteries for the house, expensive but so far I've had a good experience with them
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #11

If going from park to park, with shore power to shore power - GC 6V from Walmart/Sams/Costco will do you well. For ease of maintenance, concur with the added turkey baster Pro Fill systems. Another level of quality above these, which could yield a few more years of life, and also provide a bit more AH reserves, would be the Trojan T105. If you have the headroom, you could pay up for the larger capacity T125 or T145. Again for added reserve capacity.

If doing some to moderate to medium dry camping, I'd for sure look to see if the T125 or T145 fit. Or, you could look into entry level AGM 6V's, like the Fullriver or comparable battery line. (Caution on pre checking your charging system to see if it is compatible with AGM charging.)

If doing medium to heavy dry camping. And you do not want to shift to Lithium, Lifeline would be another step up from the pecking order of AGM. (Deka, Concorde, Rolls also have batteries of different quality levels. Some comparable to the Fullriver, and others moving up in quality above these.)

I've had contrary experience with non deep cycle Optima's. Never had one last up two two years, so stopped trying them out. This was 10+ years ago, but it was expensive for me, and none to little assistance from Optima to get me whole. These were chassis 12V batteries, in our Bounder and also in our F150 and another one in our F250. Tried four over a 3-5 year period, and decided not to spend more money on them again. (And glad they work for many. And for sure, in rugged off road conditions, they have a place.)

For you, or anyone, it is a matter of how much AH you want, to determine the battery size, balanced by space and weight concerns.

No 'one size' or 'single answer' fits all.

And OP, very open question. Adding a post with more specifics like: "I want to maximize dry camping capability." or "I do not boon dock at all." or "I'd like a bit more AH capacity." or "I'd like to have as easy of maintenance as possible." Or "Etc, etc." - would allow more specific responses.

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:23 PM   #12

. . .Got 4 6V yesterday from this outfit & very nice attitude / store / price; wound up with 4 Duracell made by Deka https://www.batteriesplus.com
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #13

The best batteries are the most cost efficient batteries - go to Costco for $87 ea. They'll last 5 - 6 years, then dump them and put new ones in. I put in Trojan 125s last time at over double the cost of the Costco batteries. The Trojans are good, but not as cost efficient as Costco's meaning I won't get 10 - 11 years out of them to warrant the double cost.

If you want the batteries that will last the longest, then go with the Lithiums, at least your wallet won't weigh near as much and you might increase your fuel mileage........

Bill
Trackrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:45 AM   #14

I was wondering about the charging system when changing the type of battery

my thoughts were that the charging system in my 2011 Coachman Freelander was designed for regular lead acid
moving to AGM or lithium would require a charger change of some sort
one of my buddies just had the battery in his 2010 Tundra changed to AGM & I was wondering how that was possible
does it depend on the battery?

mark
Mkaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries

« Odor | Newbie »