Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
looking to fulltime buying in 6-7 months.

Have looked at 36 -39' Itasca, Bounder, Expedition some HR Endevors. Have seen a few Astoria's as of late. Nice looking for the money. Any words of wisdom from the men and women who own them. Looking at older used, in the 05-08 year range.

Thank You
Gordon
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #2

The only real advice I can give is be aware of the quality. If you are going Fulltime the quality of cabinets, drawers that will be used a lot are important. Remember, you are not camping you are living in a camper fulltime. The little things that bug you will become agrivating soon. I beleive we tend to carry a little more stuff than people that camp a few times a year. Everything will get cycled thousands of times more very quickly. Basement latches, locks, keys, storage areas should be easy accessible. Before you buy, look at the choice you are about to make a few years older, see how it has held up.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are currently full timing in a 2000 HR Endeavour. A very good, above average quality unit. We remodeled last year, floors, quality reupholstery, and non-rv recliners. We are sure everything will be very durable and comfortable. The HR came standard with Corian countertops, and ceramic tile kitchen and bath floors. They are quality that will last.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #4

I agree with Davdeb1. We started full timing in December and love our 2003 Travel Supreme. It has a great power train and was built with top materials. The frame is welded aluminum and the floors sit on 2x4 and plywood not particle board. Our cabinets are all solid wood and the counters are granite. Our windows are dual pane and the insulation has proven itself just last week when night time temps were in the 20's. New this unit sold in the upper $300's but we were able to get it for less then $80k and have put about 10k in to upgrade a few things (TV, flooring, residential refrig, inverter, and batteries).

Look for the quality of materials used and the storage given. It is always better to have more storage then you need rather then cramming everything in and never being able to find it when you need it.

The other thing to look at is the function. Some of the things I thought were very important and turned out mattered to us were: a large shower that you can turn around in without banging your elbows, enough kitchen counter space to prepare any size dinner, good basement storage, and a separate room for the toilet. Something I wish we had gotten was a king size bed as the less then true queen leaves no room to stretch out.

Go to the different owner forums and see what people who own them are saying is good and bad.

Happy trails!
foreverfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #5

Think about workamping to help support the fulltime lifestyle. You can see areas of the country and stay parked on someone else's nickel. It gets expensive to stay long or short term at rv parks. Long term prices are cheaper than short term. But then you usually have to pay electric. If you workamp then you work on average of 20hrs a week to pay for your site. My wife and I find areas of the country that we want to explore then look for rv parks in those areas to workamp.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #6

One of the things I did was pull one of the drawers completely out to see how it was built. Plastic or wood, stapled or dovetailed, wheels and guides plastic or metal? It'll tell you a lot with where they cut corners. Don't be fooled by a bargain price. Dig deeper to find out why it's priced the way it is. Nice looking doesn't mean livability. They always try to sell the sizzle instead of the steak. I would broaden my search and think of a good qualtiy used coach. There's plenty out there to be had with some due diligence. We've been fulltiming for 5yrs. now in a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star diesel. Don't know what your budget is, but by looking around I'm sure you can find a great coach.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:26 AM   #7

Older high end coaches IMHO are the way to go. You won't take the hit on depreciation like you would on new coaches. Someone else has paid for the upgrade options. And if at all possible, pay off your RV BEFORE you hit the road.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank You all for the great information
Being new, can never learn to much.
We'll be seeing you down the road ,, soon
Old 04-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Get ye to rv.org spend the bucks. It will be the best money you spend on your RV.
Good luck and happy hunting. By the way go to oodle.com for the hunt it searches thew whole internet except craigs list and will send you daily updates if you check the right boxes
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #10

The three most important things to consider when full-timing is

#1 Floor-plan
#2 Floor-plan
#3 Floor-plan

This will be your home and you need to have a floor-plan that you love. For example we put priority on having the TV at eye level, a dining table, large kitchen with plenty of counter space and storage cabinets, separate WC but not a bath and half model, etc. We basically made a list of must haves, nice to haves and ranked everything numerically.

I think you picked a good age range but I would be extra vigilant with some 2008 models, the recession was in full swing and some manufacturers were already cutting back. Not saying don't look at them, just examine them a little bit closer.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltime