Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #29

Stepside...I hear you and know where you are coming from. This RV thing has lost much of it's allure for us as well. Being full timers, it was mostly fun while it lasted. A recent $8,000 breakdown left us stranded for 11 days and permanently cancelled our long-planned trip to Yellowstone with our granddaughters. Thankfully it didn't happen in the middle of nowhere. When the negatives outweigh the positives, maybe it is time to move on. Believe me, the bigger the RV is...the bigger bite it can and undoubtedly will take out of your wallet. Sure...you can't take your money with you when you die, but you sure need to be left with enough to keep you alive until then.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #30

We started RVing about 8 yrs ago as away to get away, relax , unwind etc .
Lately my camping trips are more stressful than my work week .
We really haven't had so many problems with the drivetrain . It's been just a bit of everything .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Our last camp out was about 1.5 months ago @ Lake of the Ozarks StAte Park.
The entire weekend was just crap , Everytime id turn around there was something else to fix . One thing after another.
The icing on the cake was a blowout on the way home .
The blowout really only caused about 300.00 or so in damages , & I need to get new tires .
I really don't have any desire to spend the money or time fixing it . Hopefully I'll get out of the funk .

$300 bucks for a blow out that's like winning the lottery, people have died, totaled out there rig, me personally was $8,000. Crap breaks and tires age out it happens. Grab a beer and just be happy you lived another day.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I hear you! We just "upgraded" from a 38' DP to our 42' Monaco. First trip everything was flawless and we high-fived ourselves for the decision. The three trips since then I have spent a LOT of time learning and fixing the AC system(3 units), the Aquahot system, the front windshield shade, a water leak in the line to the fridge, central vac....

Our previous coach was dialed in and like a rock. Our new coach is 100% better and nicer in every way but man are we having some growing pains! Take our attitude and stick with it. It'll be worth it in the end. I know more about our current coach after 4 months than I knew about our previous one after 5 years! LOL.
relaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #33

Several years ago, I had read about all of the problems people were having with used motor homes which is why our last six coaches have been new. Always a few minor bugs when they were new, but warranty covered everything. Yes, I have more money invested (and lost through depreciation) but we just load it up when we want to go and enjoy the trip and destination. I had enough stress running our business and did not want the RV life to be the same.

If you have lost confidence in your motor home and do not want to spend the money or can not afford to without affecting the lifestyle you have chosen or if you do not look forward to each trip, then sell it and look for something else for your recreation. This may sound blunt, but only you can decide what is important for the happiness of you and your family. Maybe the RV life isn't right for you anymore. It happens.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Several years ago, I had read about all of the problems people were having with used motor homes which is why our last six coaches have been new. Always a few minor bugs when they were new, but warranty covered everything. Yes, I have more money invested (and lost through depreciation) but we just load it up when we want to go and enjoy the trip and destination. I had enough stress running our business and did not want the RV life to be the same.

If you have lost confidence in your motor home and do not want to spend the money or can not afford to without affecting the lifestyle you have chosen or if you do not look forward to each trip, then sell it and look for something else for your recreation. This may sound blunt, but only you can decide what is important for the happiness of you and your family. Maybe the RV life isn't right for you anymore. It happens.

That's where I'm at & what I'm debating . Wife would totally disagree . She still loves it .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:53 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
$7000 for a radiator? Mine goes in for a new radiator at the end of the week and my quote for the radiator with labor was no more than $2500.
Yes 5 quotes and that was tied for lowest .. Cat c12 side radiator 16 hours labor other bids were for 8+ G ... The bigger they are ....
Old 06-22-2016, 05:12 AM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dennis's quote struck right on point for us. We learned this spring that "as the saying goes, I had no shoes and complained until I met a man with no feet." Unplanned knee surgery for both my DW and myself, sidelined us hard. We are so accustomed to going and doing just about anything we wanted to do, that the recovery for us (both in our late 60s) from knee surgery has been very difficult. Not the pain so much, but the restriction to our brick and mortar home (note: we have a beautiful brick and mortar home). Most spring times we are enjoying time with our grandkids facilitated by our coach.

Good news is we are preparing for our trip in 3 weeks and both on the mend. Total knee surgery is very painful and the DWs was very difficult.

So, Stepside I feel your pain but I am trying to help you find a context. We sure have.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:21 AM   #37

There have been times when I have gotten pretty discouraged myself. Understand that a used RV may have more issues but I have also read of new owners that have as well, which to me would be even more discouraging. I have finally come to the conclusion that I saved a lot with a used coach so some of the savings will need to go to maintenance. I do as much as I can myself and have finally found a facility that does a good job for a fair price for those issues I can't fix myself.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:09 AM   #38

Many times the people who have the most problems with their RV's are the ones who use it the least! Not saying that's the case with the OP, but mechanical things, especially drive trains, like to be used. Keeps condensation out, reduces corrosion, keeps moving parts lubricated, etc. We try and use our coach at least once every two months, if not used that month, generator is run for 2 hours under load (turn on water heater, block heater, and AC or Heat to match the season).

Coming from an aviation background, the less you fly them, the more unscheduled maintenance you run into!

Moral of the story, use your RV as much as your life situation allows! It's better for the RV, and better for YOU!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:22 AM   #39

I was thinking about this thread, and decided to jump in..... The funny connection is, that we were sick and tired of spending time and money on our McMansion that was 18 years old. The list of "to dos" was never ending, and on top of it, I was just tired of spending money on it. The $8,000 quote to rip out and replace the last of the original landscaping was the last straw, and we knew a new roof was coming soon.......

So in short, we decided to get an RV (new) sell the house and get a condo type home (new). It's been a great decision!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #40

Class As are amazing machines. And the USA is an amazing place that so many people can buy and operate them. Think about it - in what other country can so many people buy one?

Is it for me? No. They just never made sense for me.
They are a large depreciating investment.
High maintenance costs
High operating costs
Need a vehicle once you are at a location.

If I were ever to go to something that large it would be a 5th wheel and pick up.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #41

Losing interest

"New" is seldom good.
Warranty is nifty, but it's wrapped into the price, and long trips to the makers shop (sometimes multiple times) are required. Even then, there are some nagging, years-long issues on New that curl my hair when I read the MH Owner sections.
Some can afford a series of New, when they could have had an amazing Prevost or Newell. Multiple rounds of Out-The-Door depreciation is a $ killer.
I like Gently Used that have the major bugs already squished. Most of what is left is simply DIY stuff.
Just my view from the saddle.
Very best wishes

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
dexters - all your points are valid. Here's the thing - hopefully we'll get 10 more years of being mobile. That means we're gonna SKI (Spend Kids Inheritance) as long as we continue to enjoy. We can spend our money doing lots of stuff or we can sit home saving all those funds. We've established a smaller fund for each of our grandchildren (17 of them) and we don't live extravagantly. Even our coach is gasser - very comfortable but not over the top fancy.

So spend we will and enjoy ever minute of the time.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote