Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
Check the table on page 47. There is a max watt number (there are 4 models listed). Athough not inverting at the time there seems to be a consensus on the forum that "flow through" watts that exceed the inverter will cause it to trip its internal breaker (or not and damage the circuit board).

Running two portable heaters and anything else may have exceeded the watts number.
I'm sure you are right. Pulling the cover off today to see if there is an internal breaker or fuse.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie_6spd View Post
I guess I don't understand; the inverter changes 12 vdc to 110 vac but you are plugged into shore power so I am assuming your inverter should be bypassed. Is this not correct?..............

Mike
On some coaches,depending on the inverter model, the 110 does pass through the inverter and that 110 is on a circuit breaker. It is possible to trip a breaker on the inverter and loose partial 110 in the coach.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Different RV and inverter but if it is any help ours is fed 110 from the main breaker panel and 110 out to another secondary breaker panel. I have had breakers go bad in both panels so they can not be reset. Both times could not get a good "click" when resetting.

We have also had GFCIs pop and discover there are lots of things wired "downstream" from them. The one in the galley actually has the outside outlet connected. When the plug for the ice maker is laying in a puddle, guess what happens.
I looked everywhere hoping to find a second panel. No second panel to be found. I assume this is because the ME2012 has branchable breakers and does not need a second panel.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
On pg. 47 on this manual is troubleshooting tips which refer to a fuse and on pg 15 they refer to the exact fuse.
https://rvsolarstore.com/pdf/Magnum_ME2012_Manual.pdf
Good luck
THanks for the link, going to look for that fuse now.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
FOund the problem.

It is the pop out button circuit breaker on the inverter.

While it makes the definitive click when reset it is not making full contact. If I play with it and get it to hold halfway between in and out it makes contact.

Great to have identified the issue but holy crap batman it looks like a bear of a job to get the inverter out to replace it.

Thanks so much to everyone who took time to reply, I truly appreciate it.

Now one last question, do any of you live close to Middletown, Ohio, if so would uyou be willing to come over and replace while I sip coffee?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Glad you found it. Thanks for the update.
Advice is free. Manual labor will cost ya.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
FOund the problem.

Now one last question, do any of you live close to Middletown, Ohio, if so would uyou be willing to come over and replace while I sip coffee?
I live in Florida but, if you want to drop the RV off for a few months, I'll replace the breaker and road test !!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
On some coaches,depending on the inverter model, the 110 does pass through the inverter and that 110 is on a circuit breaker. It is possible to trip a breaker on the inverter and loose partial 110 in the coach.
I did not know that; thanks for the information. I learn something new on this board everyday. Love it.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #23

Magnum Inverters have NO internal fuses. The only 120 Vac breakers for the inverter circuits are the two breakers you have already found. I think the next step is to take the side access cover off the inverter and check with a volt meter to make sure there is 120 Vac on both OUTPUT 1 and 2 on the terminal block. If there is then there is probably another GFCI you haven't found.

Gary
gbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #24

oops I see you found the problem. The breakers are mechanical not thermal so you might try pulling it out all the way again and try pushing it back in. If the breaker is bad you should be able to the remove the inverter top cover without removing the ac or dc wiring (turn the power off of course!) and replace the breaker, it has two push on connectors from the back with enough wire to pull the breaker out a little ways. Check www.magnumenergy.com for the closest Service Center they should stock this part, 60-0020 for the 20A part.

Gary
gbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My temporary fix:
Pulled the cover of the inverter to remove circuit breaker 2 (CB2) found the capacitor had pulled away from the circuit board.

The M2012 is a Single In/Dual Out SIDO inverter.

It has a single feed of 120 vac, 30 amp. This single feed powers circuits 1 and 2.

I pulled the feed of the bus bar for circuit 2 and tied it to new wire (#12), feed that wire out of the inverter case to a new box containing a 20 amp breaker. Then tied in to the bus bar at the 120 vac 30 amp feed with new wire (#10) and feed that back out of the inverter in to the box and to the 20 amp breaker.

THis allows me to bypass the bad breaker until I can find and order one. The capacitor being loose did not effect power supply. I assume it's there to clean up the power coming in. Will order one and have my electrician buddy solder it to the circuit board.

If I can't find the repair parts it will be my excuse to order a pure sine wave inverter, the ME2012 is a modified since wave inverter.

The real shame is I rarely use the inverter, if it wasn't tied in to battery charging I'd do away with it.

Anyone see a problem with this temporary fix????????
Old 03-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaxter View Post
oops I see you found the problem. The breakers are mechanical not thermal so you might try pulling it out all the way again and try pushing it back in. If the breaker is bad you should be able to the remove the inverter top cover without removing the ac or dc wiring (turn the power off of course!) and replace the breaker, it has two push on connectors from the back with enough wire to pull the breaker out a little ways. Check www.magnumenergy.com for the closest Service Center they should stock this part, 60-0020 for the 20A part.

Gary
Wish I had read your post a couple hours ago. You have no idea how hard it was to see the part number on that particular breaker. It's just thick enough that you can't pull it with out dropping the circuit board. My trifocals needed another setting.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I live in Florida but, if you want to drop the RV off for a few months, I'll replace the breaker and road test !!
Just left Fort Lauderdale last week. Visiting family. Had such a great time we are thinking of buying a lot in FL.