Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2022, 10:28 AM   #1

Lost my mirror

Came back to the RV and found my mirror on the ground. Apparently someone hit our MH and took off (not sure what happened). Ripped the mirror and screws right out. Just ordered a new passenger side mirror.

Not sure if the mounting holes are stripped but probably are. Think about filling the mounting holes with JB weld and then re-drilling pilot holes with new screws. Would this be a good way to repair? Open to all suggestions. Thx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1354A149-7F40-4638-B9E2-C1F69744133E.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	361421  
css899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2022, 10:55 AM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
There is some form of backing plate behind the fiberglass that actually holds the mirror. I'd take the interior panel off beside the passenger seat to see what the manufacturer used. Odds are it's wood and can be replaced fairly easily. The mirror gets a lot of wind pressure on the highway. Redoing the original mounting process is the least likely to fail. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2022, 04:34 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
See if you can access the back of the mount. If you can, you could use a bolt and nut to secure.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:14 AM   #4

We had a similar problem.Couldn't access behind. A mobile tech used something called rivet nuts to secure and that has held fine.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:30 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
These are rivet nuts.....see link below. I have a gun and various sized nuts, but use them for metal fabrication. I don't know how well they'll work with fiberglass. Might be worth a try.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumat...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:26 PM   #6

How thick can the material (fiberglas in this case) be that the riv-nut is installed in.
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:19 PM   #7

Just an update. The area behind the fiberglass was wood (maybe plywood). I was able to go up a couple of screw sizes. The new mirror is anchored very securely. Probably stronger than the drivers side now. The wiring was still intact so I guess I got lucky.
css899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:06 PM   #8

Good job making the repair css899:

Have had to do this repair myself. Our rig also had layers of plywood behind the fiberglass. In our case we could not use a larger screw. Our solution was to glue in a wooden dowel, allow it to dry, cut it flush, then drill a new hole. The repair was as good and strong as new.