Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2022, 03:48 PM   #1

Lost steering

First time post. I'm not trying to scare everyone but hopefully be helpful, so be gentle...
This week was driving our 2018 Dutch Star on freeway when the steering stopped working. (Turning steering wheel had no affect) Problem was a u-joint in steering linkage that came loose. I was able to fix it and everything worked out but moral of story is to periodically check your steering linkage!
paul70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2022, 03:56 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
You need to report this to Newmar and maybe also NHTSA. Did you take any pictures? If a bolt dropped out on a splined shaft, it might be that is was installed w/o a self locking nut. Or a lower grade bolt was used in that location. I have driven over 2+ million miles in over the road tractor trailers. The steering should never come apart or become disconnected. You are very fortunate!
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 04:14 PM   #3

YES, you definitely need to report this to both Newmar and the NHTSA, without delay!!! Keep a record of who you talk to at Newmar and their response to the report .
Old 05-30-2022, 04:41 PM   #4

Thank you for posting. You, your passengers, and other travelers near you are very lucky.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:48 PM   #5

you're not the first this has happened to.... I recall someone else posting this same type thing around the first of the year. He had a bolt back out. I don't remember the make or model. But he damn near wrecked. He posted all kinds of pics. Maybe someone will remember or find the thread to see if it's the same make.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:54 PM   #6

found it. It was a Newmar.....

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/che...up-564933.html
Old 05-30-2022, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda67bnl View Post
you're not the first this has happened to.... I recall someone else posting this same type thing around the first of the year. He had a bolt back out. I don't remember the make or model. But he damn near wrecked. He posted all kinds of pics. Maybe someone will remember or find the thread to see if it's the same make.

I remember that post.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There has been a recall of the steering linkage nuts. Lots of posts on here. Looks like everyone should check torque. Glad u are ok.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/new...-a-581214.html
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:57 PM   #9

In my case the wheel didn't freeze up, it turned freely. There was no sign of damage to u-joint or spline. Also no sign of bolt....
I did call Newmar when it happened but they said it was Freightliner issue.
When I called Freightliner I was more interested in getting fixed. They gave me the bolt size to use. I also asked them if had to worry about comfort drive centering. They said Comfort Drive would be ok. Turns out Comfort Drive didn't work until the next day when it thought "center" was a full turn to the left. I tried some the tips from this forum, but ended up disconnecting steering and turning the wheel a full turn. Now it is working...
Old 05-30-2022, 10:26 PM   #10

Glad you're safe .

When you installed the bolt did you use Loc-Tight on the threads or was there a special nut to be used or a cotter pin.

All steering components should be doubly secured .
In automotive , bolts securing steering components together have thread locker inserts and are single use only ; once removed they are replaced with new.

Could you post a picture of the U joint .
Old 05-31-2022, 07:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Glad you're safe .When you installed the bolt did you use Loc-Tight on the threads or was there a special nut to be used or a cotter pin.
Yes use loc-tite but use Blue not Red, then torque accordingly.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Glad you're safe .

When you installed the bolt did you use Loc-Tight on the threads or was there a special nut to be used or a cotter pin.

All steering components should be doubly secured .

In automotive , bolts securing steering components together have thread locker inserts and are single use only ; once removed they are replaced with new.

Could you post a picture of the U joint .

Looks like the other bolts used LockTight. Tried to post picture. Internet very slow here, so not sure if it worked.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul70 View Post
Looks like the other bolts used LockTight. Tried to post picture. Internet very slow here, so not sure if it worked.
Photo didn't post .
Did you re-size before uploading to the site ?
640 pixels works best for me ; to large a format gets rejected .
I'll monitor your post , maybe try again when you have better internet.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:30 AM   #14

About 10 years ago, I was asked by another limo owner to pick up his driver from a broken down H3 Hummer limousine. The driver had just dropped a film crew of 14 after a gig on Grandfather Mtn, NC and an hour plus drive to their drop point down mountainous NC-181.

The driver dropped his passengers at a distribution type whse about 9 PM, pulling away he was unable to complete a U-turn. Popped the hood to find a 2 piece pitman arm. Pitman arm was a 1-piece casting, machined ball which attaches to the drag link & serrated hole where it attaches to the steering box. The ball portion of the pitman arm had sheared/detached itself from the flat portion of the arm & was still in the drag link. There was no longer a connection to the steering box.

After showing the driver the problem, he immediately thought of what could have occurred had the failure occurred while he was coming down the curvy highway.

The limo was a 200" stretch & probably had a lot of full-lock to full-lock power steering pressure applied over the 40K miles of its existence. I suggested the owner might need to rethink his fleet. The fix was simple & the Hummer was replaced a few weeks later.
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering