Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #1

Lovebug alert

Lovebugs are out pretty heavy when there on my parked car here in Ocala fl.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
WOW! I thought Lovebugs were at their worst in May. Are they late this year?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lovebugs are a May and September problem. Get them off quick. Their body fluids will eat into your paint. When I lived if Florida I used to spray pam non stick cooking spray on the front end of my car. Made a mess but did make love bug removal easier!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Use Rejex, it will solve the love bug or any bug problem. Many positive remarks on this forum. It takes the work out of removal and last a couple of months plus seals like wax, even better!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #5

I grew up here in Florida and have battled those flipping love bugs all my life. I have tried every trick in the book to get them off and every new product that came out. Over the years I have learned the easiest way to remove bug is just patience and water. Get a chair and a water hose. Sit there spraying the bugs for 5 to 10 minutes to re-hydrate them and you will see them dissolve and start falling off. What's left, will wipe right off with almost no effort. Be patient and its really easy, I know because I am too lazy to try and scrub em off. Sometimes if I don't have a hose, ( while traveling) a really wet rag wiping over the bugs and patience will do the same thing. But as was previously stated, don't let them sit on there too long or the acid will eat into the paint, diamond shield or whatever else they stick to. I clean bugs everyday for the two-three week period they are here. No bug damage on any of my vehicles..

Randy W
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #6

THanks for the notification. I will be parked until someone says they are gone again.

We had a discussion about them at the National Rally in Amana, one person suggested "dryer sheets" and water. Swears by them for the removal and makes it easier for the second round removal too.

rod
lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the report. Those things are a pain and really make a mess on the front of the coach.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #8

Lots of water and, for me, a used dryer sheet to get them off.

We got some on our way back home from Rainbow Springs August 29th. They don't seem to be as heavy here in NE Florida but I saw many cars today on I-95 with black out conditions coming from the south. There fall run should end by the first week in October, I hope.

If left on the car for over a day, they are a pain to remove, any longer and they will start to destroy the paint.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #9

Ammonia works well to dissolve them if they are on to long will strip wax too best bet is to rejex the coach before you hit the bugs
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have some love bugs but for me mainly it is the stinking grasshoppers around here. And talk about eating your paint. Been real bad since the drought. Makes the rural roads look polka dotted. So I have a small pressure washer to blast them off. If I wait too long some will leave stuff behind so I have to use the LoveBug eraser. That makes it easier. Been using McGuire's but just got some Rejex in so going to put that on to help protect.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #11

greezykid
It's part of the price you pay to live in the South but worth it.Is your car white. They seem to like light colors. Ran into a pocket of them in a wooded section last Sunday AM for about 2 miles. Covered the front of the coach but mainly on the white parts. Then very few the rest of the way home. The comment about wetting them down works. Best time to remove them is in the early AM while dew is covering everything. Areas that don't have AM dew generally don't have LoveBugs either.

Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post
I grew up here in Florida and have battled those flipping love bugs all my life. I have tried every trick in the book to get them off and every new product that came out. Over the years I have learned the easiest way to remove bug is just patience and water. Get a chair and a water hose. Sit there spraying the bugs for 5 to 10 minutes to re-hydrate them and you will see them dissolve and start falling off. What's left, will wipe right off with almost no effort. Be patient and its really easy, I know because I am too lazy to try and scrub em off. Sometimes if I don't have a hose, ( while traveling) a really wet rag wiping over the bugs and patience will do the same thing. But as was previously stated, don't let them sit on there too long or the acid will eat into the paint, diamond shield or whatever else they stick to. I clean bugs everyday for the two-three week period they are here. No bug damage on any of my vehicles..

Randy W
Left off the most important ingredient...a cold beer to help with the patience
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Left off the most important ingredient...a cold beer to help with the patience
I like your style!
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #14

Ya think!

Attached Thumbnails