Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2020, 04:23 AM   #15

Perhaps more on point, I talked with our county DOT and NY DOT about clearances before driving our new-to-us rig home, because it's a foot taller than the old one.

NY has a standard that the counties are also supposed to follow, I'm told. If I understand this right, any bridge without clearance markings should always have at least 14' of clearance.

Bridge clearance is apparently measured on a schedule. When the measurement is found to differ from the prior measurement, a bridge is re-marked. On state roads, they are supposed to be marked with 12" *less* clearance than what was measured. This is so they do not need to be remeasured immediately after construction or paving events (or even snow and ice accumulation) that can diminish the clearance.

I was also told bridge clearance is marked using the lowest point between the outer edges of the white lines. As few bridges are dead level, you can often find a bit more clearance if you move to one side or the other as far as possible.

What the rules might be in other states, I have no clue!
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2020, 04:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Anything in NY that says "Parkway" is very likely to be unsuitable for RVs for a variety of reasons. They were Depression-era projects designed for cars. Years ago, people used to drive partway up, drive off the parkway, and picnic on the grass. Low clearance, narrow lanes, sharper than normal corners, no shoulders, poor sight lines, at-grade crossings, no exit ramps, and heavy congestion are not unusual. It's been a long time since I paid attention to what the signs say these days. I'll have to check! But I certainly agree that "No Commercial Vehicles" is inadequate warning for a Class A or other large RV.

For some people, even that warning is not enough! I have seen a few truckers stopped on the Taconic in the past few months. Happily, none of them "found" low bridges first.

I once stopped a semi just North of the low Route 301 bridge on the Taconic Parkway by getting in front of him, staying in front of him despite his efforts to get around me, and stopping before the bridge about 20' from where it could be seen around the curve. He came out of his cab with a tire iron. I suggested he look ahead before beating me up with it, which he did. Then, with no thanks, he wanted directions! (I "directed" him to the off-ramp and told him he was on his own.)

Thanks for the info, have learned more about the "Parkway" named highways since my incident. Also purchased an OverDryve 7 RV since then.

Maybe the trucker didn't appreciate your efforts but feel good in knowing you did the right thing.

As to your following post, NC marks heigth on any bridge under 13' 6", (I think).