Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2021, 01:45 PM   #1

Low Def warning & check engine

Looking for solution,
Had truck mechanic? Pulled acc fuse with engine running. Noe check engine and low def warning lights lit up. 2018 Fleetwood Discovery with freightliner XC chassis. How do I reset?
Collapse55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2021, 02:25 PM   #2

not quite sure what you are saying .... but if the mechanic did something, then put the fuses back, and you are no longer getting any warnings on the dash .... then just let it go, it will reset itself and eventually the warning codes will delete from the electronic control.

IF however you continue to get the warnings, the be cautious about driving until you can get into a freightliner shop - the engine could de-rate or even force a shutdown, which will force you to get the rig towed.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:33 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your post is very unclear.....if the mechanic pulled the fuse to shut off DEF warning and check engine lights, you most likely have a failing DEF header.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:56 AM   #4

Mechanic was questionable in ability and knowledge. He was pulling fuses with the engine running. He pulled one (not sure which one) and the engine shut down. He had me restart and the screen showed low DEF and check engine. DEF tank is full. what I'm trying to do now is locate the fuse for DEF system on this freightliner chassis.
Collapse55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collapse55 View Post
Mechanic was questionable in ability and knowledge. He was pulling fuses with the engine running. He pulled one (not sure which one) and the engine shut down. He had me restart and the screen showed low DEF and check engine. DEF tank is full. what I'm trying to do now is locate the fuse for DEF system on this freightliner chassis.
If this is the case, then you dont need to locate the fuse, you need to get the rig into the nearest freightliner service location and have them diagnose and fix the DEF head. Preferably with absolute minimal driving.

If Don is right (and he probably is), and this is a failing DEF head, then you could at any time get a total failure and a STOP ENGINE error - with minimal time warning, the ECM will force shut down of the engine, and you can NOT reset the error. You will be stranded and forced to tow the rig. Dont play with it - have a certified freightliner service shop diagnose and fix it....
Old 11-30-2021, 02:56 PM   #6

Multiple threads here on iRV2 about DEF head sensor/data failures, so this is the "Reader's Digest version"...

You are likely in de-rate now, and at 75% power. You probably won't notice unless you're towing heavy and going up hill... but the taxi meter is running.

You only have a few (unknown how many) starting cycles; you have a limited amount of time/miles before the ECM de-rates you to 50%, then 25%, then limp mode; if you add more fuel (more than about 20 gallons) you may de-rate sooner to 5 MPH limp mode. But 5 MPH limp is where you're headed until the "STOP ENGINE" light comes on and the ECM shuts it down.

Don't waste more time with a mobile mechanic - you need a Freightliner shop and likely a new DEF head.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
How did any of you figure out enough of what the OP’s issue was to even hazard a guess? I can’t tell whether there were any codes or CEL/MIL lights before he took it to a mechanic or whether the mechanic caused the problem. I can’t tell whether the mechanic pulled a fuse and caused the Low DEF fault or pulled a fuse to try to clear the Low DEF fault. I can’t even figure out whether there are still fault codes and if so what they are. If you figured out enough from the original post to offer a diagnosis then you must be psychic.
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:32 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collapse55 View Post
You need to start over.....why was he pulling fuses??? Tell us the reason for that and maybe we can help you. If he created a problem by pulling the fuses, the codes will appear, but won't go out until the coach has been started five times and run for more than five minutes each time. If there is no issue with the coach, the codes will clear on their own.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
How did any of you figure out enough of what the OPís issue was to even hazard a guess? I canít tell whether there were any codes or CEL/MIL lights before he took it to a mechanic or whether the mechanic caused the problem. I canít tell whether the mechanic pulled a fuse and caused the Low DEF fault or pulled a fuse to try to clear the Low DEF fault. I canít even figure out whether there are still fault codes and if so what they are. If you figured out enough from the original post to offer a diagnosis then you must be psychic.
Well, I don't stay at Holiday Inn Express... but I *did* get a new digital crystal ball! Kinda still like the old analog crystal better, though.

The point of my post was to get the OP away from someone randomly pulling fuses at roadside and to a shop that can offer a real diagnosis, and to offer some insight into the consequences of having a DEF data error, and low DEF warning that he got *could* be indication of sensor data failure.

You know what antenna to use with a digital crystal ball? Stuff pixelates...

Tags
engine, warning