Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Low flow at shower

I have 45 psi at my water hook-up but get a low flow at the inside shower hose. I removed the hose to check if there were any 'restrictors' in place but none are there.

I did notice that the hole on the wall mounted faucet at the hose connection has a small orifice that is much smaller than the actual hose inner diameter.

Is this normal?
denk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes. They are water conserving.
Do you not have sufficient flow?
Has it changed recently?
It's not going to be like home, right?

Sometimes if city water connection is really low pressure you can flip on your 12v waterpump as well. 45psi is pretty low - I have 120 at home, most places are 60-80. The home one is really too high, but it's been like that for 25 years and I'm too cheap to invest in a whole-house pressure restrictor.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

Your system no doubt has a restrictor somewhere. The piece you found may be it, but there may be others too. Welcome to BIG BROTHER. The Federal government knows how you need to shower. If it were mine, I'd start drilling and keep at it until I found the right spot. Good Luck!
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I drilled mine out, just be careful not to bust through the side wall of the mixing valve/faucet. Big improve the in pressure.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Your system no doubt has a restrictor somewhere. The piece you found may be it, but there may be others too. Welcome to BIG BROTHER. The Federal government knows how you need to shower. If it were mine, I'd start drilling and keep at it until I found the right spot. Good Luck!
Not sure it has a lot to do with big brother. My kitchen sink had very low pressure on normal flow. If the rinse/spray button were pushed that worked fine. The rv dealer swore that is how it was supposed to work. Bunch of bs. Rather than try to drill or fix, I replaced the faucet aereator where it screws on to the end of the faucet with an extra one I got (one of my clients is a plumbing contractor). Now works fine to use in rinse/spray and normal aereator flow.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #6

low flow faucets, toilets that still don't flush well and loss of incandescent lightbulbs in the market place are the result of government edicts. Also, have you seen what you need to get if you want a hot water heater of above 55 gal capacity? Do a Google search but be prepared for a bit of sticker shock. Hint---$1000 up for a water heater.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Some one must be using the script of George Orwell's 1984 classic in our lives.
denk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #8

Come off it, government has nothing to do with your hose size (take that as you will.) RV manuf. want to get two showers out of a tank of hot water. Restrict flow is the only way to do it given hot water tank size, tubing size in the RV, waste pressure at 30 to 50 psi in parks, etc.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ya, church state and money is way off topic.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Low flow at shower

<deleted>
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Well, it is a fact that federal regs set max flow limits on new shower heads (2.5 gpm) and toilets (1.6 gpf), all in the name of water conservation. A majority of our elected representatives agreed to and voted for these constraints, so we got what we got.

45 psi is neither low or uncommon, whether residential or RV. Plenty of areas have 40-50 psi water systems and that is adequate pressure and not the cause of low flow. My guess is that your low volume problem is either inherent in the RV system (a constriction somewhere) or in the faucets. If you have 1/2" water lines (most RVs do these days) and 45 psi at the pump or inlet, you should have no problem getting 2.5 gpm at the shower. Try measuring the flow rate with the shower head removed, to verify whether the flow is getting through the faucet valve or not.

Faucets, especially the hot/cold mixing types, typically have much lower flow rates than a 1/2" water line can deliver. Even at low pressures (say 20 psi), a 1/2 pipe can deliver around 7 gpm. But many RV city inlets cannot deliver anywhere near that much, maybe only 2-4 gpm. Especially if you use an inexpensive regulator on your hose.

Whether the RV is lower flow than your home water system probably depends on when the home was built or the plumbing was installed. The 2.5 gpm shower head limit has been around for quite awhile now, but many people have bypassed it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #12

If you are using a hose end pressure reducer could be a problem, I use a watts residential pressure reducer which lets a lot of volume go through.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:21 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Back to the topic at hand(pun intended). Does your shower have a single control valve? If so take it apart and see if it is clogged with dirt or filth. The innards may need replacing. If you have had good pressure before and now it is not then this is most likely the case.
Another question, how about the rest of the MH, how's the pressure there? If it is also low then you may have a clogged strainer on the pump or if yo have a whole house water filter it needs changing.
Hope this helps.

Tags
shower