Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #1

Low, low miles on 08 DP

Looking at an 08 dp coming out of an estate sale. Bought new by deceased but illness restricted use. Short weekend family use - 8,400 miles on the odometer and 10 hours on the generator. Stored inside year round - coach looks new and everything runs fine. But, I've seen many comments about low mileage perhaps being a precursor to problems. Any advice on what to look for?
Yakimaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
got service records?? that's the biggie. has it sat for long period of time, or used regularly but primarily for nearby short trips?

I looked at a 08' last year, with just 5k miles on it - the owner was commenting as a positive that it had not even had it's first oil change yet...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
genny is suppose to be run 2 hrs a month loaded to keep in shape, 10 hrs I would be worried it was not stored correctly. Cummins would be able to tell you better. Secondly, I'd worry about estate sale, who are the deciders, siblings, laywer, are all parties in agreement? could be smooth, or messy.

as in cars sitting for a long time is not good, all lube points & oil drenched surfaces have been sitting dry. Grease can harden, rubber seals stiffen, definitely a chassis inspection and fluid analysis. Did water condense into the oils, diesel, tranny??? The heat of using the rig burns this off, sitting allows it to collect.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I would not be afraid of that coach if it was indeed stored inside. Change all the fluids and drive away. But you can bet someone will repeat the very common montra that low miles on a dp is bad. That is a half truth at best. If it was driven on a regular basis, for say 100 miles, throughout the 8 yrs since new, then that would be enough to keep everything lubed up. If records show that the oil was changed a few times, even better. Let the flames begin :0
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:16 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lots of issues to consider regarding lack of use. Some things just don't do well not being used. Some things like fluids might be "ok" if there was an annual program to change them regardless of miles driven. Certainly some storage environments are better than other so that plays into this.

1. Tires...replace
2. Belts and hoses need close inspection and maybe replace preemptively.
3. Engine and tranny seals along with any other rubber parts are suspect.
4. All fluids (engine and generator) are suspect depending on service done.
5. Fuel tank and system are suspect. Could be a lot of water in the tank if not properly stored. Also treating to prevent algae growth is worth checking on.
6. Side seals, awing materials and such need to be looked at as possibly needing some attention/replacement.

Fluid analysis could be a great tool but I'd be a bit cautious on interpreting them. I'd be a bit concerned about internal corrosion so it might be wise to get fluid samples "as is" before doing anything.

As long as you can validate that the coach is fundamentally sound and you can get the right price to factor in the cost to get it ship shape, it could be a buying opportunity.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Lots of issues to consider regarding lack of use. Some things just don't do well not being used. Some things like fluids might be "ok" if there was an annual program to change them regardless of miles driven. Certainly some storage environments are better than other so that plays into this.

1. Tires...replace
2. Belts and hoses need close inspection and maybe replace preemptively.
3. Engine and tranny seals along with any other rubber parts are suspect.
4. All fluids (engine and generator) are suspect depending on service done.
5. Fuel tank and system are suspect. Could be a lot of water in the tank if not properly stored. Also treating to prevent algae growth is worth checking on.
6. Side seals, awing materials and such need to be looked at as possibly needing some attention/replacement.

Fluid analysis could be a great tool but I'd be a bit cautious on interpreting them. I'd be a bit concerned about internal corrosion so it might be wise to get fluid samples "as is" before doing anything.

As long as you can validate that the coach is fundamentally sound and you can get the right price to factor in the cost to get it ship shape, it could be a buying opportunity.
Dittos!!!!! Go for it if the price is right and the DW likes the floorplan. Stored inside?? That's a huge plus++++++
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:17 AM   #7

If it checks out, and it's priced right, buy it!

Do check it out thoroughly though.....
Old 08-27-2016, 08:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
If it checks out, and it's priced right, buy it!

Do check it out thoroughly though.....
EXACTLY!
There are low mile coaches all over the U.S. tucked away in garages, storage and more. There's a zillion reasons why they're not being used. So, there are really good deals out there quite often. Being in the right place at the right time, is the luck of the draw. Now, of course you'll need to do a pretty good check-out on it. You'd do that for any coach you're thinking of buying anyway. You take it out for a good test run. Maybe some hills/grades etc. so that you can thoroughly test the transmission shifting point under load, the exhaust brake vs trans shift-down operation and more. Get it up to operating temperature so you can observe for potential leaks and listen to the motor for sound differences in a cold vs a hot motor.

I've purchased many low miles, aged vehicles and have always been happy. Your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
I would not be afraid to buy that coach if it was what I wanted. Sure you might have to put new tires on but so what? Batteries might need replacing but so what? All the lube stuff can be taken care of when you have it serviced, Probably no problems with the fuel system if it is diesel which you say it is. The newer generators can get by without having to run them every month because of the way they are constructed now (new armature construction). Fluid analysis doesn't tell you anything because I could change the engine oil now and when you test it, the oil hasn't accumilated enough miles to register anything.

If the price is right, the DW likes it, you like it, go for it.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:01 AM   #10

Sounds like what we are looking for. I agree if it is the MH you want, buy it at a good price and fix whatever might be wrong.
LisanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The low hours and low miles could be a problem. I would want to see the maintenance records and take ot to a diesel shop for a through check out.

The generator is a big concern. You have to run them loaded to keep the windings dried out. Moisture will penetrate the winding insulation and you maybe in for a bog expense early on. A generator shop can run a Megar or Hi-Pot test on the windings to see if they are compromised.

First thing will be to get a full service with ALL fluids changed and filters changed. Also check the tire dates and replace if over 5 years old. Replace belts and hoses.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:58 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Also plan on resealing all roof openings. After 8 years the original sealant has likely dried up and will leak.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The low hours and low miles could be a problem. I would want to see the maintenance records and take ot to a diesel shop for a through check out.

The generator is a big concern. You have to run them loaded to keep the windings dried out. Moisture will penetrate the winding insulation and you maybe in for a bog expense early on. A generator shop can run a Megar or Hi-Pot test on the windings to see if they are compromised.

First thing will be to get a full service with ALL fluids changed and filters changed. Also check the tire dates and replace if over 5 years old. Replace belts and hoses.

Ken

Good advice!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #14

We bought the MH in my signature in 2012. It had 23,xxx miles and 1,8xx hrs on the Onan diesel genset.
It had been stored in a barn for 8 years, ever since the owner developed health problems.
We purchased an extended service contract from Camping World at signing, just in case. That contract more than paid for itself during the 3-year period. All claims were for the house part, none for the chassis
We had Camping World change all fluids, filters, and oils, before we drove it home.
We have never regretted buying this MH, or with the amount of repairs required.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote