Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #1

Low Miles scare you?

All

Looking at a 2000 year model with a Cat 330hp with 25K miles. Owner died and not sure yet what service records are available. Would that low mileage worry you if you could not verify last time used? I Think neighbor bought it to resell. Said it runs and drives great.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

On a DP, yes, it would give me cause to look very closely at the chassis... or at least have some experts pour over it very well. Maybe an oil analysis if the oil hasn't been recently changed.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Everything Rick stated above, and..... if it has just sat outdoors....hard on anything. Stored inside, climate controlled, "Time stands still"........
Old 05-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would also suggest contacting a Cat authorized service center, ask if there is a computer connector to verify whether the mileage is accurate? Odometers were very easy to alter and I would verify.

That low of mileage on a 2000 would require extra scrutiny, but scrutiny when purchasing any motorhome is needed in my opinion.

I would also inquire what the service center would charge for an engine analysis and what they include, dyno test, etc? Good luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #5

I don't know how much you can test for. The environment is more of an issue than anything else. IF it sat in AZ, it may not be a big deal, but if it sat near the ocean, or in the north, you may be in for a different story.

Working fine right now doesn't tell you much. I think back to a recording console I installed in a studio down in Florida. This console had been in storage in England for 8 years. I spent more than a week going through virtually everything on this console, making sure everything worked. A few minor things needed fixing, but everything else worked. Just as a precaution, they sent me with it to install it. We began to install it, fired it up and everything sounded good. We had other work to do to fully integrate the console into the room. As the week progressed, things started to malfunction. The longer time went on, the bigger the problems got. Relays began to fail, lost electrical connections everywhere. I ended up spending a month down there repairing stuff. All this to point out, electrical connections can deceive you. The first time you bring something back to life, you think you are home free because everything seems to work. After a short time, the gremlins grow and have babies. The drivetrain is going to be what ever it is, but the electrical is impossible to predict.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Everything Rick stated above, and..... if it has just sat outdoors....hard on anything. Stored inside, climate controlled, "Time stands still"........

Lol. Wish that was true, but of course as we all know it's not.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Bought a 1999 Tradewind and it had only 40000 miles I got it for a fairly low price, put in about $7000 complete with a complete go over of the body and interior. Then $1500 to completely go over doing a complete MVI.
Now we are fulltiming in it and every things great after a few shake down cruises and all the little things taken care of.
Don't be afraid of all the fearmongering as to low milage, it may be to your advantage, as it is with me.
By the way I have a 300 hp Cat and a 6 speed tranny in a Frieghtliner frame.

pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #8

seems most rv's around here are low mileage. most people just use them a few times in the summer and sit the rest of the time. after a couple of years many get used less and less...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
laj

low milage wouldn't scare me a bit, actually when i bought mine thats what i was looking for. just check the systems out, look at overall appearance and make your best judgement. haven't had any issues with mine because of low milage or lack of use. it was stored inside a climate controlled shop. jmo
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #10

So, if I find a 63 vette with only 1500 miles on it for $2500 I should walk away?? My coach , an 04 had only 15000 miles on it when I bought it in '12, with 2 previous owners, some coaches just don't get driven!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
It would not bother me in the least.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:24 AM   #12

What I will take with me from this thread:

The lower the miles, the greater the chance that electrical gremlins will jump out your electronics, relays and god help you if you have a mobile recording studio.....
Am I on track?

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:55 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
All
Looking at a 2000 year model with a Cat 330hp with 25K miles. Owner died and not sure yet what service records are available. Would that low mileage worry you if you could not verify last time used? I Think neighbor bought it to resell. Said it runs and drives great.
A little clarification, please. When did the owner die? Makes a difference. If he bought it new, died in '04, and its been sitting ever since, well, you see what I'm getting at. Is the neighbor gaming you? Is he going for the big profit just by flipping the coach?

In any event, it could be wise to go beyond standard due diligence. Have the appropriate chassis shop do a thorough check out, and have an honest RV tech check the coach body and systems. If the neighbor balks at any of this, walk away.

You could have a gem on your hands there. It would be a shame to miss it, if valid.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:52 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Out of the environment.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Lol. Wish that was true, but of course as we all know it's not.
On the contrary my friend, I am serious and it is true,,,,, how do you think old collector cars are stored and kept in such great condition?
The "working" dump truck you see in the background, is a 1966 International, it has never sat outside, always garaged........still standing tall........
My Coach, was 9 years old, 29,000 miles on it, always garaged, still is....unless using it, and not one problem........The photo shows that "time does stand still" if storage conditions are right.......Our Coach is having its 14th birthday this year!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04153.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	62716