Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #1

Question Low radiator water level

I have a 2004 HR Imperial the other day I took it to get the windshield replaced and the low radiator water level light came on i pulled over to check the water was ok the temperature only came up to 180 in the 18 miles I drove. My guestion is dose any body now what might be going on?
John Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 06:43 PM   #2

Coolant sensor in the reservoir perhaps? Did it stay on or just when going up or down a steep grade?
Old 10-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I don't have an answer. Just noticed that you are kinda new on here and wanted to say hello.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #4

Buy a Stant Cooling System and Pressure Cap Tester (can be rented for free at some auto parts stores) and pressure test your cooling system. Be careful as the current generation of tester can over pressurize your system and damage it ! You may have to buy an additional adapter to fit your radiator.

With the engine "stone cold", install the pressure tester and pump it up. The old standard was 15 psi, but now a days, many are 20 psi - 25 psi. Your system should hold that pressure for at least 1 hour. If not start looking for water on the ground. If you can not find any water, you probably have a blown head gasket and water is leaking into the inside of the engine.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #5

You didn't say how much antifreeze you were down. Like someone said if on grade may only be down a little. The sensors are not inflable usually on the tank. The pins on it may be dirty and slimmed up. I've never had a vehicle for years at a time that I did add a little antifreeze to. If it lower than normal. Pull dip stick make sure none went in oil.There is a lot to shared problems with plastic overflow tanks cracking and issues where the cap neck fastens to top of the tank. I can't keep track of every model and year that are reported My DP tank is plastic with huge plastic cap. I think its only 7psi . One of the expandable plugs in radiator test may fit in neck. Don't overpressurize . Look around the best you can for a leak.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On some coaches over the years, there has been an issue, where a film/crust builds up on the sensor and then it doesn't read properly. Some of this had to do with changing to a different coolant. Many have removed the sensor from the overflow tank, sanded the end of the sensor and reinstalled. It's doesn't cost you anything to do the above. If it doesn't help, keep looking.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #7

There didn't look like the water level in the reservoir had gone down any it was on level road not going up or down. The light stayed on all the time when moving.
John Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #8

Right I understood you as no coolant loss. As I and others have stated look at the sensor.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:19 AM   #9

I've noticed on our coach when it gets cold outside, the coolant level in the reservoir drops about 3/4" - 1" below the normal "Cold" line on the outside. As soon as it warms up again the level rises up to the normal "Cold" level line.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator, water