Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #15

FWIW, a recent thread here on IRV2 about alternator failures mentioned that some poorly designed RVs have poor cooling of the alternator, and failures happen when the alternator rather than the covverter/charger is used to charge the house batteries when they are low. YMMV.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said:"The Generator is running" and ask if there is something you should do.

YES: check the circuit breakers on the generator and all the breakers in your MAIN circuit breaker box. If you have a regular Converter (makes battery power out of 120vac) double check it's breaker, if you have an in-line inverter (both makes battery power and uses it depending on presence of alternative power (Shore/generator) check it, as well.

Depending on the make/model of your converter/power center there may be some 30 amp fuses on the power center,, WITH THE GENERATOR OFF check them, replce them if needed. (Or turn off the circuit breakers on the generator if you are worried about the ability to restart, and you should be worried).

If the converter is seperate from the power center.. It will have fuses.

If you have an Inetelletech battery Control center check the bottom of the box for a pair of circuit breakers, again, Gen off (or gen breakers off) PUSH HARD to reset.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #17

May not be a relavent fact, but the LP detector should be replaced every five years. I just bought a 2005 Southwind with a disconnected LP detector. When I plugged it in, it started beeping. Turned out it had a 2004 date on it. New one on order.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #18

The generator may or may not have the ability to directly charge any battery.

If it does, it is only designed to restore the charge used from the starting of the generator, read small dischsrge from small battery.

The generator ( alternator really) can produce enough line power to operate everything in the coach directly on the 120 VAC output, and the 12 VDC systems indirectly via the converter.

Ours is 75 amps, so it can provide plenty of bulk charge to bring the batteries up fast.

Yours may be about 30 amps or so.

Subtract your active loads from that and then divide your battery capacity by that, then that will be a rough estimate of the minimum time to bulk charge the batteries, not full charge, but enough to use.

Minimum safe discharge voltage varies by battery.

Standard is 1.75 volts per cell.

Some deep cycle a little less.

Discharge bellow that point can cause damage.

Any discharge event past the crack of the whip wears the battery, different batteries are designed for different services, float and cycle are
for non-starting batteries, marine, starting and deep cycle are common to what looks like standard batteries.

In your case the converter may be bad or bad connection or fuse
Old 09-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #19

I'm still learning about RV electrical systems, as I study up for my move from nautical rv (recreational vessel) to land rv, but have a question. Every marine gen I've had (many) has its own dedicated batt and charging system (alt). Why doesn't the motorhome world work the same way??
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
The generator may or may not have the ability to directly charge any battery.
If it does, it is only designed to restore the charge used from the starting of the generator, read small dischsrge from small battery.
TQ60
I disagree.

Most coaches have an Inverter/Charger with high amp, 3 stage automatic, (Bulk/Acceptance/Float), battery charger built in, (which is powered by the generator and/or shore power).

My coach, for example, has a Freedom 20 inverter/charger with a 100 amp 3 stage charger.

That built in charger is capable of recharging my depleted/discharged house batteries much faster and more efficiently than the engine driven alternator, (using less fuel, and with less alternator wear and tear, than running the engine).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
I'm still learning about RV electrical systems, as I study up for my move from nautical rv (recreational vessel) to land rv, but have a question. Every marine gen I've had (many) has its own dedicated batt and charging system (alt). Why doesn't the motorhome world work the same way??
Most RV systems have a bank of "Chassis" batteries for engine starting (both drive engine and generator engine), slide operation, and leveler operation. In addition, there is another bank of "House" batteries for inverter, interior lighting, entertainment systems, etc. These two banks can usually be bridged (parallel circuit) by the "emergency start switch" to supply extra power when one bank gets too low. With this design there is really no need for a third battery circuit just for the genny.

Hope this makes sense.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If the batteries are wet cells, check the fluid level. If the plates aren't covered then the batteries can't hold a charge and could be cooked by trying to charge them.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Mike_Harriet
IMO motor home systems do operate as effectively as "recreational vessel" systems do!
Far to often, unfortunately, erroneous/untrue/bad information is posted on RV forums.
That's because many owners simply do not understand how the various systems of their coaches actually work, (or are supposed to work).

Most motor homes have a 3 stage battery charger built into the inverter/charger.
When/if on generator or shore power, that battery charger will/does work automatically.... (but only if the charger settings are correct and the batteries are good).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Triker56
What kind of coach do you have?........(it sounds like your coach builder cut some corners)!
Any GOOD inverter/converter/charger will have a 3 stage charger built in, (which is much better than most portable chargers).
It sounds like your coach builder cut some corners!
If/when you have shore power a 3 stage charger will automatically charge badly discharged house batteries.
Mel '96 Safari
Mel...My Fleetwood coach builder didn't cut any corner with a Inverter/Charger and they also put in a BIRD that many other builders don't, so the chassis batteries get charged from shore power.

They put a Freedom Inverter with 3 stage charger in it.
That has Low and High Battery Protection
When the battery voltage drops to 10 Volts, the Freedom Inverter/Charger will automatically shut off.

Recharge the batteries to 13.5 Volts (12 V model).
Freedom units will automatically reset when shore power is disconnected or reset manually by cycling the power switch OFF/ON

Shut down also occurs for a high battery condition at 15.5 Volts.
To restore inverter operation, battery voltage must be below 15.0 Volts. Check all DC sources on the system for excessive voltage.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
May not be a relavent fact, but the LP detector should be replaced every five years. I just bought a 2005 Southwind with a disconnected LP detector. When I plugged it in, it started beeping. Turned out it had a 2004 date on it. New one on order.
Did that on our '02 a couple years ago for the same reason. Didn't realize till then that they expired.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #26

What i was describing about the generator charging the battery may not have been clear to some.

What I meant by direct charging eas via a charging coil behind the flywjeel in some, or a seperate winding in the alternator, these devices if present are only designed to maintain the small support battery for the unit.

The converter or inverter with charger is limited to its design, but the charge function is indirect from the genny, it outputs say 7.5 KW@ 120 VAC, the charging device converts this to the lower DC voltage to service the coach and maintain the battery.

The output of the generator does not directly contribute to the 12 volt system.

Ours does charge the generator battery.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #27

All that did was confim the wisdom of buying lfp batteries. No mess no overheating no three stage chargers no acid no lead no hydrogen gas no venting and at $278 for 200 ah 12v on Amazon is affordable. All the benefits of lfp and none of the lead acid headaches.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #28

There's also the 12v 12 cell evo2 lfp with
410mps for only $165 and 9 lbs
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote