Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasright View Post
There's also the 12v 12 cell evo2 lfp with
410mps for only $165 and 9 lbs
I'm confused. Why are you touting motorcycle starting batteries in this thread?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
What i was describing about the generator charging the battery may not have been clear to some.

What I meant by direct charging eas via a charging coil behind the flywjeel in some, or a seperate winding in the alternator, these devices if present are only designed to maintain the small support battery for the unit.

The converter or inverter with charger is limited to its design, but the charge function is indirect from the genny, it outputs say 7.5 KW@ 120 VAC, the charging device converts this to the lower DC voltage to service the coach and maintain the battery.

The output of the generator does not directly contribute to the 12 volt system.

Ours does charge the generator battery.
I'm still confused and not clear on your post.
On my MH the generator powers the Inverter/Charger. Which then charges both the House & Chassis(Generator battery) batteries through a B.I.R.D.

Isn't that a direct contribution to the 12V system?

If the engine alternator quits putting voltage out(failure). I can start the generator and keep driving the MH.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Triker, I think he is referring that some gennys have a small 12v generator incorporated in them to charge a support/starting battery directly, as well as the 120vac. Although I've never seen a generator with this in an RV, they certainly exist in other applications.

Therefore, your genny does not directly charge your batteries, it must go though a 120vac/12vdc conversion process. However, he'll have to explain how this is relevent to anything here.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #32

Now it is clear what i meant, now i explain the connection.

From what i understood of earlier posts, the op may have been running the genny in combination with a non-working coach charging system and wondering why the genny was not restoring the charge in the coach batteries.

Most portable power systems that include electric start have the ability to charge their support battery.

When installed into a MH this may not be used.

so the reason for my posts were to advise the genetator only should be expected to provide the 120VAC to the charging system and to troubleshoot from there
Old 09-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
What i was describing about the generator charging the battery may not have been clear to some.

Ours does charge the generator battery.

X2. Three battery banks. Generator (which is charged by the generator DC voltage rectifier and/or through the inverter-charger), Chassis, and House.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #34

Send a message via ICQ to Waterview202
on a beaver if the dash notes a low battery, it will be the chassis batteries.my guess is your alternator is not putting out the correct watts or your batteries are going bad. have the output watts checked on the alt' an also have batteries checked. could be belt slipping or bad alt bearings
Waterview202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Triker, I think he is referring that some gennys have a small 12v generator incorporated in them to charge a support/starting battery directly, as well as the 120vac. Although I've never seen a generator with this in an RV, they certainly exist in other applications.

Therefore, your genny does not directly charge your batteries, it must go though a 120vac/12vdc conversion process. However, he'll have to explain how this is relevent to anything here.
clyon51
I agree!

However, I believe that most/(all?) RV generators will slowly directly recharge a battery......(if there is no inverter with a built in charger to do it indirectly).

I may be wrong, (and since my Freedom 20 inverter has a 3 stage 120VAC powered automatic charger built in), I hope I never have to find out.

Mel
'96 Safari, 6.3kw Onan
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #36

Ours is capable (generator only), but it cannot as installed due to isolator between genny battery and house battery.

Back to OP, if battery does not seem to be charging with genny the charging device is not working, need to get a voltmeter and start at the charging device, check voltages and follow the path directed by the easurements to the faults, there may be many...