Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
JZS

Low Voltage warning 2021 Newmar Canyon Star

Every time we start the MH after it has been off for a day or so, we get a "low Voltage" warning and gas pedal doesn't respond. If we shut off and then restart within a minute'ish the code does not appear again and the accelerator works fine. Freightliner was of NO use when I called them, they just said take to a repair facility. Vehicle is BRAND new, just took delivery a few weeks ago.

Batteries are always at ~13.5 volts, MH is on charger any time the vehicle is not in use.

Thoughts?
JZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 04:04 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

At 13.5 volts , your checking with the coach hooked up to shore power or looking at the volts immediately after disconnecting ; this can be a false reading . Called a surface charge that can drop quickly.
A fully charged 12 volt battery at rest ( no charging for 3/4 hours )should show 12.6/12.7 volts. In good condition
Just because batteries are new doesn't mean they're good , they need to be tested.

First thing to do is to load test the batteries , which is what the service facility would do.
I'm thinking the starter load is dropping the battery volts past the Cummins ECM limit momentarily and creating the throttle issue . Second start being quicker than the first doesn't drop the voltage as much , so no issue.
Because you are mobile , Freightliner help line, directs you to a service center for the warranty repair .
Old 05-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #3

Remember, if the ENGINE INTAKE MANIFOLD HEATER is running, it can easily outstrip the output of the alternator, particularly at lower engine RPM.

If this happens only on cold start, but not on hot restart, you are just fine-- all is normal.

If under other condition, please give us specifics.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #4

As mentioned above, normal.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:55 PM   #5

I find it very hard to believe that anyone at FCCC help line told you to "take it to a dealer" since what you are seeing is completely normal. Hearing that advice from a dealers service writer might be a completely different issue.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:21 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Likey this...

Its normal and expected behavior to sometimes get a low chassis battery warning upon starting the propulsion engine. There is a intake air heater that kicks in when starting the engine (takes the place of glow plugs). It pulls a lot of current and sags the chassis batteries. Soonest the engine starts the engine alternator charging recovers the batteries in a short while.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The coach is only a few weeks old and its not exactly cold weather. I don't think this should be considered normal, and I expect the Freightliner tech felt the same. It's not something he can fix over the phone, so "take it in for repairs" seems an appropriate response. This could be as simple as a weak pair of chassis batteries.

Further, we don't know if JZS called FCCC Customer Service or a local Freightliner dealer, so maybe ought to reserve judgment on the skill level.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM   #8
JZS

Hi all-

Thank you for the input!!!

Being disappointed with the phone call with FCCC, I sent an e-mail to the official FCCC email address, I received a MUCH better and more believable response and it's right in line with what a couple of you have suggested.

Here is the official answer that I am willing to accept unless something changes:

"The Cummins engine has an intake heater and will draw a large amperage when the key is turned on and the engine is not at operating temp and can cause the battery voltage to drop giving this message which is completely normal."

Thanks to all for your feedback ...and congrats to those that came back with the same (Right) answer!!!
JZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #9

I'm glad you happy with the current response from FCCC.

Two items to note .
1. Operation of the intake air heater grid is controlled with an " ambient air temp sensor " as well as a coolant temp sensor . Above 50f , the heaters shouldn't cycle as they wouldn't be required for start up. The length of time the " Wait to Start " light stays on will indicate the heaters are cycling .

I should have asked about outside temp in my original post. My bad.

2 . You should still have throttle response , when the low voltage light is on . Even if limited to a high idle (1,000 RPM ) till the end of the heater cycle.

Some members even report , their engine goes to high idle when the low voltage light is on.

Safe travels .

Tags
canyon star, low voltage, newmar