Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #1

Question LP Alarm Madness!!

Hello everyone!

We've been camp hosting at Camano Island for over a month now. Thankfully the weather has been gorgeous and we have not had to really use any propane to stay warm. We have a hot plate for cooking, so we don't even use propane for cooking either! Hosting has been a great way to save money.

However, we're cooking on the hot plate and the humidity in the RV gets up to about 60%ish and our LP alarm goes off. What the...

So we're not even using propane and the alarm is going off when the RV gets humid. Is there a connection to humidity and when the LP Alarm activates? Should we be alarmed about our alarm??

Would love to have your help figuring this out before we make an RV technician's day with a repair bill!

- W
wanderlusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #2

I live in Florida where relative humidity in excess of 90% is a common summertime occurence and have never had a fresh Propane detector false alarm on me. If your coach is more than five years old it would not surprise me that the detector is false alarming as they do not last forever. My old one started randomly alarming when it was six years old. I replaced it with a Propane/CO detector that I bought on Amazon that fits the same opening size. There should be a label on the back of the unit that indicates its life expectancy. If it has "expired" then it should be replaced.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 AM   #3

Yes, LP detectors do age out. I just installed a new one and it was labeled as 7 year life. RV fire safety expert Mac McCoy does not recommend LP/CO one unit detectors. Propane is heavier than air and the detectors should be mounted near the floor. CO is lighter than air and the detector should be mounted on or near the ceiling.

Sidenote........ smoke alarms with photoelectric and ionization detection combined give you the best window of safety to save your life. I just replaced both of mine for this reason.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:31 AM   #4

I just had this thread in the last few weeks. Mine was being set off by dust. Remove it and gently use air pressure to blow it out, fixed ours.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Get a separate LP gas detector. Also if you have a paid fire department in the area they probably have a flammable gas detector and can come by and check and see if there is a problem that your nose maybe missing. As far as a CO detector you can get a combination CO/Smoke detector.
Good Luck get it fixed. You don't want your coach featured in a fold out of a fire service periodical.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: The proper name of the alarm, even though it says "Propane" on it's name plate, is "Explosive gas" it detects many explosive gasses, Of which Propane is but one, another is the favorite gas of Project Blue Book,, Methane (Swamp gas, also fart gas) propellent in hair spray or cooking oil sprays, alcohol vapor, gasoline vapor, and more.

Second.. It is moisture senistive as well, water will set it off. (Please do not ask how I know) Drying it out helps here.

And as I pointed out to someone else, What your nose knows and what it sinffs for are not the same thing.. Propane is odorless and colorless, you can neither see nor smell the gas.. So they add stuff to it to make it STINK... Your nose knows the additive, the detector knows the gas. Which being heavier than air hangs near the floor.

IF you are not using propane, turn it off at the tank.. If the alarm still drives you crazy, then how old is it, 5 years is iffy, 10 is over due for replacement.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
we had a bad/expired/old unit in our previous coach (less than a few months old). i was told by the manufacturer that even "new" detectors sometimes have old sensors in them because they sit on the shelf for X months or years before being installed. once we replaced it, problem solved. lesson for us--these things do go bad.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #8

If detector is more than 5 years old it may be signalling replacement needed. I had problem with low voltage to unit and that would set it off as well. Replaced 2 brand new ones due to voltage being below 12 volts even though specs say they should work well below the min voltage mine was seeing.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Our Dogs would set ours off occasionally. Best we could do was keep them away from it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ollie and Emma.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	60603  
Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #10

Do these Explosive Gas (LP) detectors detect ammonia? Would mounting one in the refrigerator boiler area provide an early warning to an amonia leak that precedes the notorious refer fire?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I found when my battery charger peaks out at about 14 volta, my propane alarm activates and keeps alarming until voltage drops to 13.4.
floteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #12

Low battery's can cause false alarms and will start chirping when they get very low. I recently replaced the batteries on mine, it was chirping even after I replaced the batteries. They only last for about 10 years. I bought a new one at Target for $15.00 and no more false alarms or chirping.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote