Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
If I may ask, what kind of grill is it, and how did you connect the hose to the grill once the regulator was removed? That's the problem we have with the Coleman Road Trip LXE.
I have a Weber Baby Q. Can't remember exactly what fitting(s) I needed, but I'm pretty sure standard brass fittings from Home Depot or similar did the trick. I'll check next time I'm out at the MH.
RetiredBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Can't you move the hook-up tee to the high side of the coach regulator? It's just pipe fittings.

Personally, I abandoned our tank tee when we sold the last coach and now I carry a 10# LP bottle. It's small/light enough to be easily portable and it fits in the bay where my coach LP tank resides when we travel. I can set up my grill wherever I want and don't have a long hose from the coach to trip over. I find it a much better solution and 10 lbs of LP does a lot of cooking before I need a refill. And I can use a 1 lb bottle for back-up if I run out.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #17

iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been known to cut off the attached fitting and flare the end and attach a gas quick disconnect. I have a Bullfinch gas port attached on the side of our teardrop trailer and a hose that has a quick disconnect that attaches to the grill.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I apologize in advance if this description is unclear. I am transcribing for the DH. We had a 12 ft hose made up with male and female fittings where the male would match the motorhome’s quickconnect. We wanted to have a long enough hose to grill out from under the awning. Then we had to make up a short hose (about a foot long). Took the regulator assembly and unscrewed it from the grill and used that to connect to a brass fitting with a barb that the short hose can be slid onto and clamped that I purchased that would fit the thread. We purchased one additional male fitting with a barb (all the fittings have barbs) that goes on the other end of the short hose so it can be screwed into the regulator. You connect the long and short hose with the female. So, technically we have a low pressure hookup but the temperature gets up to 350-400 degrees which works great for most recipes. If you need really high heat, we use the disposable bottles. This has been a rare occurrence and, if doing that, need to be careful that the lid to the Coleman doesn’t warp. I purchased all the pieces and had the assembly made up at a local LP supply store. I just called in advance to ask if they could help me out. The whole thing cost about $70. I will be going out to our coach in a couple of days and will try to take some pictures to show what it looks like. A lot of people said it wouldn’t work but it has doing great for two years so far.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Excellent idea - but you have to have an adapter that goes from the shiny tube threads (probably a standard thread) to a standard LP quick disconnect. THAT is the part we'd all like to find.
The one I did is not exactly like this one, so I can't give you anything too specific, but I used standard quick connect fittings - like those found on air tools? Cheap, and in my experience, extemely reliable. Not sure what size that tube is, but if there is no quick connect fitting available to fit the tube directly, it should be a simple matter to convert the tube using a bushing (or whatever) to adapt?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two types of grills used for Camping, High and Low pressure.

High pressure grills are designed to work off a "Tank" either a "Throw-a-way which usually screws directly into the regulator (Coleman Road Trip are this kind) or a luggable tank with a hose. and usually an ACME fitting now days (POL in the old days) on the end of the hose.

The other kind is a LOW PRESSURE grill, usually these do not have a regulator.

If your quick connect is on the TANK side of your rv's regulator, then you use high pressure hoses, and the regulator on your grill.. Like I do (Extend-a-stay)

IF it is on the LOW pressure side (Not on the tank side) of the regulator you must use a low pressure grill.

Now. the coleman road trip.

There is a fitting on the back of the grill, And a matching fitting on the "low pressure side" fo the regulator.. I SUSPECT, if you could find the "matching fittin" you could use the low pressure port on a RV so equipped with the Road Trip.

HOWEVER.. I have no idea where to find that unless you find someone with a bad regulator and can CAREFULLY seperate it from the fitting.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to all of you for the suggestions!

The bottom line is, Coleman Road Trip owners could:

1) switch to high pressure, but still need an adapter for the Coleman Road Trip;

2) use low pressure, but still need an adapter for the Coleman Road Trip.

That's the problem we've faced, and why we decided to stick with the 1# canisters....

Still...if anyone can find an adapter (or make one from commercially available parts) I'm game!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hmmm, I don't have a Coleman RoadTrip, do have a Weber BabyQ. The fitting on the Weber is for a 1# can. I have Extend-a-stay/Extend-a-Grill on my coach on the high pressure side of the regulator (between the tank and the regulator). I have a hose that has standard tank connection to take propane out of the T. The other end has a fitting equivalent to 1# can. This is a standard Marshall hose. It comes in several lengths and is generally available in every RV supply store I have been in. Problem: I do find that after several years of use the fitting at the propane tank end becomes worn and develops a leak, time to replace.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xctraveler View Post
Hmmm, I don't have a Coleman RoadTrip, do have a Weber BabyQ. The fitting on the Weber is for a 1# can. I have Extend-a-stay/Extend-a-Grill on my coach on the high pressure side of the regulator (between the tank and the regulator). I have a hose that has standard tank connection to take propane out of the T. The other end has a fitting equivalent to 1# can. This is a standard Marshall hose. It comes in several lengths and is generally available in every RV supply store I have been in. Problem: I do find that after several years of use the fitting at the propane tank end becomes worn and develops a leak, time to replace.
That might work on the Coleman Road Trip IF we converted from the low pressure outlet on the coach to a high pressure outlet by installing the Extend-A-Stay system. Fleetwood handed Discovery owners a "low pressure problem" that's been frustrating...or, Coleman did the same thing with the Road Trip...depends on your perspective. So far, we've stayed with the 1# canister "solution".
Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Can't you move the hook-up tee to the high side of the coach regulator? It's just pipe fittings.

Personally, I abandoned our tank tee when we sold the last coach and now I carry a 10# LP bottle. It's small/light enough to be easily portable and it fits in the bay where my coach LP tank resides when we travel. I can set up my grill wherever I want and don't have a long hose from the coach to trip over. I find it a much better solution and 10 lbs of LP does a lot of cooking before I need a refill. And I can use a 1 lb bottle for back-up if I run out.
Exactly what I did, I had the 20# and found it too big to store and lug around. Got a 10# from CW and have some 1# for backup that I got from Costco for $11 for 4. I had a Road Trip, it was fine but too bulky and was hard to level. Now I have a Weber Baby Q and a Camp Chef 3 burner stove and set them up on a picnic table or a aluminum table with leg adjustments. The Weber and the Camp Chef combined seem to fit better in the storage compartment too.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgill View Post
Exactly what I did, I had the 20# and found it too big to store and lug around. Got a 10# from CW and have some 1# for backup that I got from Costco for $11 for 4. I had a Road Trip, it was fine but too bulky and was hard to level. Now I have a Weber Baby Q and a Camp Chef 3 burner stove and set them up on a picnic table or a aluminum table with leg adjustments. The Weber and the Camp Chef combined seem to fit better in the storage compartment too.
Sigh...if only DW didn't love anything RED so much we wouldn't have bought the Coleman Road Trip in the first place.......and wouldn't have all these issues.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I would much prefer to have a low pressure grille....

Buy those are pretty much always made for use on the deck of a s&b house.... They are not portable, don't collapse to fit into the moho's basement.

We have a roadtrip, and a q200. Both hi pressure grilles....

So i got an extandastay with hose, a t fitting from the same company, and 2 more of thier hoses. Tapped into the rig's propane in front of the regulator (high pressure) and ran it across to the curb side of the rv....
The extra hoses and tee let me connect both grilles at the same time, and get fairly far away from the moho with them.

i also had to drill out the orifice on my q200 to get any kind of fire....

I'd much prefer to be dealing with low pressure propane, but "they" just don't build thier stuff that way....
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote