Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #1

LP Furnace not working - Winnebago Journey 2006

Hi all!

I have a Winnebago Journey 2006 with a Suburban LP furnace. Last night it dropped down below 35 degrees and I discovered my heat pump wasn't working at that temperature. I also discovered this is pretty normal because it's just a heat pump. The problem I'm having is when I select "Gas Heat" on my thermostat, wait 30 seconds, nothing happens. The blower doesn't even turn on. I hear the thermostat click, but nothing happens. Is there a longer time delay? The manual says the blower should come on immediately and then the furnace should kick in about 30 seconds later.

I would light the pilot myself, but I don't know where it is. I know my propane tank valve is on because my oven and stove work well.

Any help is much appreciated!

Erica
EJMsWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Erica! I would suspect that the 12VDC fuse to the furnace blower is blown.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Erica, Joe is right on with looking for a blown fuse. To help you find the fuse call Winnebago Tech Services at 800.537-1885. If possible have the coach serial number (located on plate normally right next to drivers seat).
Also, if the fuse is OK, or keeps blowing, it's possible there's a bug nest stopping the blower from operating. The blower must be running for the propane valve at the furnace to open.

Annnddd, ask the Winnebago tech to help you with troubleshooting the thermostat.

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
WIT 47083, FMCA 263635
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #4

Thanks for replying Joe and Skip! I found the 12VDC panel. Can you "see" if the fuse is blown? They all look fine. I reset the ones that related to the furnace. I tried the gas heat again and nothing happened. I'll call the tech line and see if they can help me.

Erica
Old 02-23-2020, 11:24 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
If you look closely you may be able to see if the wire inside the glass is intact or if it's broken. Even if it looks intact it may still have failed. The only way to assure it's integrity is to remove the fuse and test it with a continuity tester (electrical tester)

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
WIT 47083, FMCA 263635
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:59 PM   #6

You may download the service manual at: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/79...-Dd-17dsi.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #7

I found the 12VDC breaker/fuse panel...I think. I've included a picture because I have no idea how to change this type of fuse. The breaker panel is under the fridge. I took the drawer out that is above the panel to get a look at the back side of the panel. I've never seen fuses like them before. I think they are the type you can reset? I've attached pictures to clarify.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12VDC House Circuit Breakers.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	276078   Click image for larger version

Name:	12VDC House Circuit Breakers back panel.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	276080  

Old 02-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #8

Have you checked to see if the gas/propane valve at the rear of heater/blower unit is turned on. Not sure if it would stop motor from working.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJMsWinnie View Post
I found the 12VDC breaker/fuse panel...I think. I've included a picture because I have no idea how to change this type of fuse. The breaker panel is under the fridge. I took the drawer out that is above the panel to get a look at the back side of the panel. I've never seen fuses like them before. I think they are the type you can reset? I've attached pictures to clarify.
That type you just push in on them. If tripped, you will feel a click as the breaker resets.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:24 PM   #10

You need to get a volt meter and check to see if you have 12vdc at the furnace. If the sail switch is stuck closed the blower won't even spin-up. Some furnaces have a led on the control board that will flash a code to alert you of an issue.
RV furnaces don't have any filters to keep the dust and debris out. They can get quite dirty if not cleaned on a regular basis. We use our Atwood all winter long. I clean it out every fall up here in New England. Even furnaces that are not used much can end up getting a rusty/crusty burner.
When was the furnace last serviced?
Keep us posted on your issue.
Thanks
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
You need to get a volt meter and check to see if you have 12vdc at the furnace. If the sail switch is stuck closed the blower won't even spin-up. Some furnaces have a led on the control board that will flash a code to alert you of an issue.
RV furnaces don't have any filters to keep the dust and debris out. They can get quite dirty if not cleaned on a regular basis. We use our Atwood all winter long. I clean it out every fall up here in New England. Even furnaces that are not used much can end up getting a rusty/crusty burner.
When was the furnace last serviced?
Keep us posted on your issue.
Thanks

This ^^ (bold.)

Voltage to furnace needs to be confirmed, then follow up with sail switch and control board. Control board failure is not uncommon.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #12

Thanks for all of your replies! This is very helpful!

I don't see how to 'get' to the furnace. I see the furnace exhaust, but when I open that external door, all I see is the quick access panel for the water heater and a panel that has about a dozen screws surrounding the furnace exhaust. Is that how I access the furnace?

Once I gain access, where do I check for 12VDC? Will it be obvious?

Also, what is the location of the gas valve to the furnace? Is it always on if my propane tank valve is open?
Old 02-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #13

Erica
Can you get an exact model of your furnace? The reason i'm asking is that some of the Suburban furnaces are a real P.I.T.A. to get to.
Some are installed thru a cabinet or drawer. All you see on the outside of the RV is the intake/exhaust ports. You have to get to the furnace thru a panel from the inside. Most often, these types of furnaces are removed for easy servicing.
My Atwood can be accessed from the outside of the RV.

Above example of a furnace that has to be accesses from the INSIDE of the RV. All that's on the outside is just the intake/exhaust ports.

The above is similar to my furnace. Remove the 4 screws and the cover then your looking at the guts of the furnace, easy to work on.

If your furnace exhaust ports look like the top picture then you need to go inside your rig and try & find the access to your furnace.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Erica
Can you get an exact model of your furnace? The reason i'm asking is that some of the Suburban furnaces are a real P.I.T.A. to get to.
Some are installed thru a cabinet or drawer. All you see on the outside of the RV is the intake/exhaust ports. You have to get to the furnace thru a panel from the inside. Most often, these types of furnaces are removed for easy servicing.
My Atwood can be accessed from the outside of the RV.

Agree^^.

See if you can find the return air intake for the furnace, inside the coach. You may be able to remove the grille and access the furnace that way. You may, at least, be able to see a label with the identifying information.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace, journey, winnebago