Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #1

Lubrication of steering column Monaco

Would like to know if important to grease the u-joints on the steering column. I can access one of them but not the other or the spline
Gary Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
If it has a grease fitting then is should be greased. If is does not then no grease is necessary. Actually grease on some rubber parts can cause them to breakdown.

I've seen a lot of vehicles from underneath and actually have not seen a greasable SC fitting. But then again I've not seen a lot of heavy trucks either. Like I said if it has a grease fitting then grease it.

TeJay
Old 06-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I usually have to turn the wheel to get the u-joint in a specific location in order to get the grease gun on it. Considering how many times the wheel is turned it it important to grease the steering column.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Gary...one is down low and easily done, the second one is done by sliding the generator out and reaching in to get the middle one. The third one requires that you take the boot off from around the steering column on the inside, 4 screws.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Gary...one is down low and easily done, the second one is done by sliding the generator out and reaching in to get the middle one. The third one requires that you take the boot off from around the steering column on the inside, 4 screws.

Don, I have heard about a grease fitting on the inside, but I recently took off the plastic shroud to replace the carpet and could not find any grease fittings!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
If it has a grease fitting then is should be greased. If is does not then no grease is necessary. Actually grease on some rubber parts can cause them to breakdown.
I've seen a lot of vehicles from underneath and actually have not seen a greasable SC fitting. But then again I've not seen a lot of heavy trucks either. Like I said if it has a grease fitting then grease it.
TeJay
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
There is usually a boot inside the coach at the base of the steering column to allow access to the upper zert fitting. It's not critical, but a good idea to lube it.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe...I don't know if your year model is different, but my 05 had it. I only lubed the interior fitting about every third service. I looks like a small u joint.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #9

thanks for the reply Don and Mary. I can get to the lower u-joint and it did have a fitting but a non split cover circles the upper u-joint. I can feel around the u-joint but don't feel a fitting and it looks a bit different than the lower so thinking maybe it is greased for life? Can not see a third fitting. I think I will pull into an RV shop and ask. My owners manual says 3 fittings are there but no one has come inside my coach during the 4 services I have had done since buying the rig and I am curious. Like Tejay mentioned if there is a fitting there I would like it to get attention.
Gary Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #10

While lubing the steering is a pain in the back side, it still is something that needs to be done. I lube ours, when I take the MH out of winter storage and getting it ready for the summer.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Joe...I don't know if your year model is different, but my 05 had it. I only lubed the interior fitting about every third service. I looks like a small u joint.

I saw the u-joint but didn't see a grease fitting. I'll take another look at it. Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Miner View Post
thanks for the reply Don and Mary. I can get to the lower u-joint and it did have a fitting but a non split cover circles the upper u-joint. I can feel around the u-joint but don't feel a fitting and it looks a bit different than the lower so thinking maybe it is greased for life? Can not see a third fitting. I think I will pull into an RV shop and ask. My owners manual says 3 fittings are there but no one has come inside my coach during the 4 services I have had done since buying the rig and I am curious. Like Tejay mentioned if there is a fitting there I would like it to get attention.
Gary

There should be a ujoint down below where it meets the steering box, and another ujoint under the steering wheel surround. Immediately below the floor under the coach will be a slip joint, and it does look completely different than the ujoint. That slip joint should have a grease fitting and it rotates with the steering shaft. If you search hard enough you should find it.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I saw the u-joint but didn't see a grease fitting. I'll take another look at it. Thanks!
Joe,
I can't imagine that ujoint not having a grease zerk. You may have to rotate the steering wheel to see it.

Tags
monaco, cat, steering