Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #1

Lukewarm Water

We recently returned from a trip to Georgia and to Smoky Mountain National Park. Everything worked great on my coach except for one issue. While taking a shower, every shower was lukewarm, at best. I had both the electrical and propane water heating systems turned on. I looked at the on-line manual for my Thor Hurricane, but I see nothing about water temperature adjustments like I have on my home water heater. I know that coach water heaters are small. However, even the first hot water coming out of the shower is lukewarm. Is this normal? Thanks.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Do you have an outside faucet? If so, make sure the handles are completely shut off, not just the sprayer turned off. Having those handles on will dilute your hot water....ask me how I know.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #3

Do you have hotter water to other faucets?
319DSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the same problem with my Thor (Damon) Outlaw. If it doesn't happen to be the problem mentioned above I would bet it is the center valve in the hot water bypass loop. Under the kitchen sink there is a panel I had to remove and the valve was turned the wrong way.
Here is a link to a photo of what to look for: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...ml#post1374958
Old 05-21-2014, 06:02 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The ideas above will Probably correct your problem, You might also flush out the tank. Camping World has a hose attachment "swizzle Stick" to flush out the bottom of the tank.. some water stays in their when you drain it.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #6

Thanks for all your replies. The water is the same temperature at all faucets. I will take a look at the things you mentioned above. Thanks again.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #7

Your water heater heating element could be the problem. How long has it been since you flushed your water heater? The heater element could be coated with mineral deposits and be less effective. Worth a look. Unless its a brand new rv I doubt the mxiing circuits are the issue.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Were you able to solve this?
Old 05-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
Your water heater heating element could be the problem. How long has it been since you flushed your water heater? The heater element could be coated with mineral deposits and be less effective. Worth a look. Unless its a brand new rv I doubt the mxiing circuits are the issue.
If the heating element was coated and not functioning well, that would not explain why it won't heat on propane. IMO it is a mixing prob.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #10

It sounds like your thermostat on your hot water heater is going bad.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
I had the same problem with my Thor (Damon) Outlaw. If it doesn't happen to be the problem mentioned above I would bet it is the center valve in the hot water bypass loop. Under the kitchen sink there is a panel I had to remove and the valve was turned the wrong way.
Here is a link to a photo of what to look for: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...ml#post1374958
This was the problem with mine, the automatic valve went bad so replaced it with a manual valve, now I have hot water at all places.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
If the heating element was coated and not functioning well, that would not explain why it won't heat on propane. IMO it is a mixing prob.
True that...the element what was I thinking?

How about carefully pressing the relieve valve and testing the heat of the water comming out? If you get water out then it should be hot, if not, time to check something dealing with the water heater. IF hot the only thing left is the mixing circuit.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
It sounds like your thermostat on your hot water heater is going bad.
Seems like there are two, one for propane and one for 110v.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two common issues with RV water heaters.. (Well 3 but one is a "B")

1A: Showers often have cut off valves in them so you can wet down, turn off without loosing your "Settings" soap up, then hose down again.. Leaving the mixing valves open with the cut off vavle closed gets you warm water all through the coach

1B: If you have a 3-valve bypass system, leaving the bypass open

2: the tank is small and the recovery not as fast as I'd like.

So. if you do NOT use that cut off vavle, it gets cool very fast, and what you are seeing is all the hotter it can make it, come back in 30 mnutes to an hour and it's hot again.

Tags
water