RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #1

LVT plank floor for Monaco Knight

We are installing LVT plank flooring in our '05 Monaco Knight 38PDQ. We like the durability and water resistance.

We were going to use Lowes Matrix flooring to save a lot of weight, but I think it's too thin (3mm) and can possibly pop apart where direct sunlight tracks across it.

1) What product did you use and has it been stable in the big temperature swings in an RV?

2) And, even though it says "free floating", did you glue it down to keep it in place with all the bouncing around? If you did, what glue did you use?

Thanks as always!

Mike and Deb Fry
2005 Monaco Knight 38PDQ and American Car Dolly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	304092  
fry5family is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 09:38 PM   #2

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/glu...rs-317775.html
Do a search for wood floor, or floating floor in the Google search at the top of the forum page, lots of info there. I've attached 1 search result for your viewing pleasure.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Don't use cheap vinyl plank - the environment is tough and there aren't enough sq ft to make the good stuff too expensive. Use a plank that is thick enough to have solid interlocking joints and will be more resistant to temperature and humidity changes. Laying a floor is an RV is lot of effort and you don't want to risk it buckling up as the whether changes. I doubt if weight is going to be an issue anyway.

I helped a buddy install Allure Ultra (not the lower grade Allure) and he chose to glue it down while still maintaining the edge spacing for a floating floor. It worked well. For my own coach I only used LVP (also Allure Ultra) in the bedroom so it wasn't a large area. I floated that and it too worked fine. Both of these coaches were mid or high range DPs, so maybe less prone to flexing than a gas chassis or low-end DP.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Replacing the floor in my 97 Southwind went with 14mm made in Germany interlocking with a foam bottom Found it at Sam's Club bought 15 boxes for $20 a box.
Great Quality and will hold up well and is water resistant for 24 hrs.
Digger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger01 View Post
is water resistant for 24 hrs.
How does the flooring know when the 24 hours is up?
Old 10-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Built in timer. Lol.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #7

I used LVT from Home Depot, their "Lifeproof" line. 100% waterproof, click-lock, 6.5mm thick. It was glued down using a permanently flexible flooring adhesive that allows for expansion and also removal of damaged pieces.

Note, all planking warranties are void if used in a RV, as far as I've researched, so don't let that be a factor. Still, a product like Lifeproof that provides a lifetime warranty under standard conditions, is probably more durable than one which does not.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have used the LVT in my home it works great. Thank You for the advice.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #9

I also used life proof from Home Depot the mistake I made was to put new carpet in the bedroom area. The coach was easy to sweep out but the bedroom carpet was nasty in short order , having a dog didn’t help. My current project is to remove the bedroom carpet and replace it with lifeproof. So my advise is do the whole coach and use area rugs if you need a carpet any ware .

Tags
floor, monaco