Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post

What am I missing here? It doesn't seem to me - IMHO after doing the Stinky Slinky thing for over 26 consecutive years without any notable cantankerous memories - to be any better, easier or less messy.
I think the answer is that there are two strong opinions on dumping tanks and both systems are needed to keep everyone happy. I have both and can't make up my mind.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 10:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
And, why 2 tanks? it all gets dumped in the same place.

If you ever run the shower too long and the tank fills and back up in your shower you will be really glad that use 2 tanks!!
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't stand and watch my tanks drain. Why would you?

As I stated in the first post, some people have some real issues with something they've NEVER tried. How unusual. I'm been RVing for over 35 years and dumped with a 3" hose for 25 years, until I found something better. Please don't provide the OP an opinion unless you've tried a macerator.

I added an electric drain valve to my black tank with a switch inside the coach. I also added a SaniCon switch inside the coach. When I'm ready to break camp, I turn on both switches and my tanks are drained. By the time I'm ready to disconnect my shore connections, I'm all done with my tanks.

For those that say dumping must be simple and others that say the toilets drop straight into the tanks, you might want to do some reading. Many coaches now have two baths....they don't drop straight into the tank. And if your keeping it simple, do your cars still have roll up windows and manual transmissions, if not, you better sell them.....they could break!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:51 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
^^Again the voice of factual information^^. The majority of Class A coach manufacturers today offer two bath floor plans. In most, the second toilet may be a macerator type in conjunction with the master bath. Consequently, the large majority of waste is in a semi liquid state while held in the black tank. Like all users should, I add lots of clean water to flush the black tank to aid in break down of any solids. In addition, the sanicon flushing tank sprayer combined with back flush of the grey tank equalization soapy water, obviously a statement that my black tank is never clean is just not correct! All sensors work in the black tank. Note, these are the inexpensive OEM type NOT exterior Sea Level. Again, if your not familiar with the system to provide information on the OP's question regarding why RV's use macerators is misleading. Not an opinion, just facts.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I have a portable unit that allows back washing too. Mainly because wife requires me to provide her with the bathroom facilities on the road. So I can run 125 ft of 3/4" hose to the septic system at home to clean out. I like that.

But still, while at a full hookup site, I use the standard stinky-slinky. I always flush with the grey water and when I store it, it has caps at both ends. It's then enclosed in a flat plastic case with a snap on top.

Ken
Yep!!! Now this makes sense to me and might even induce me to "add" one to my bag-of-tricks.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Navigator decided this was the year for a kitchen make over for the homestead so I plan to use the former in sink garbage disposal to make my own macerator to use at home. Sewer clean out is a bit far away for the 3" hose so having a low cost portable will make post camping clean up much easier.

DIY RV Macerator Pump
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #35

grey/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
And, why 2 tanks? it all gets dumped in the same place.
That's a very good question. I often wondered why have separate gray and black tanks but was was afraid to ask for looking foolish.

But, now I'm so interested in your question, rather, in an educated answer to your question, that I'm willing to look ignorant.

So, WHY are there separate grey and black tanks?
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
That's a very good question. I often wondered why have separate gray and black tanks but was was afraid to ask for looking foolish.

But, now I'm so interested in your question, rather, in an educated answer to your question, that I'm willing to look ignorant.

Well, I did just read a prior post that mentions a shower backing up if the gray water tank is full. That's a good enough reason for separate gray and black tanks if I ever heard one.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:38 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
When this question comes up, 90% of the responders have NEVER had a macerator, yet they criticize it's use. They always fall back on the loss of the whoosh effect.....Does that mean they don't rinse their tank and the whoosh is sooo powerful that it sweeps the tank clean??? Old wives tale!

Then they say it takes to long to dump with a macerator. To that I will agree, but once again, they've never owned one, so they don't understand that the time involved is about the same. When you use a 3" hose, you have to go to your hose storage, remove the hose, drag it to your bay, connect the hose....get the magical whoosh. Then you have to disconnect the 3" hose, drag it to the drain, flush it with another hose that you may have had to pull from your storage if one isn't available, and then try not to drip fluid on your feet as you put the sewer hose away and the other hose.

Here's how the SaniCon or similar macerator works. The hose is ALWAYS connected and stored right in your water bay. You grab the end of the hose, unscrew the 1" cap and connect to the park sewer. You open your valve, turn on the macerator and let the tank drain. Here is where you can do a simple tank flush....after the black tank drains, open the grey valve. The water from the grey will flood the black within a minute or so until the tanks are even. Close the grey and drain the black. You've just flushed it, without additional water, with soapy grey water.

You NEVER need to flush or rinse the SaniCon hose. Remove the connection from the campground sewer drain, screw the 1" cap back on and store the hose in the water bay.

Now here's the best part.....you never touch or deal with a 3" hose, flushing of the hose or storing one after use when it's still dripping. The SaniCon hose is very compact and stretches to 20', yet coils up to fit on the floor of your water bay.

Before they even say it....someone will claim that they clog. I've owned one for over 11 years without an issue. I replace the impeller about every 5-6 years....a 30 minute job.
x2!! Absolutely agree. Easy, sanitary, no problems...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #38
Yaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post

X2 on post #30!
Also if your air admittance valve is leaking it could be a worse problem, black tanks are usually only vented through the roof.

Fort Myers, FL
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #39

Have been Rving since the early 60's, had my share of stinky slinkies, with a few mishaps, have used a macerator for about 10 years - first with a portable unit and now with a fixed unit. Will never buy another coach without a macerator option. Just like the clean and easy way they work without any mess. Carry a complete spare just in case and do annual maintenance. I am not certain about the overall time to dump, it might take an extra few minutes but I can dump over 100' uphill, into toikets etc. So many more options with a macerator.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:32 PM   #40

If you are tired of waiting for your Sanicon to dump the tank check out their new model, the Sanicon Turbo. The specs say it will empty a 40 gallon tank in 50 seconds. I have one of these on my '16 Entegra. I've never timed it but it is pretty darn fast. Kinda scary fast. No accidents or near disasters yet. 😱😱😱

M. Willis
2016 Entegra Anthem
Mwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:24 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwillis View Post
If you are tired of waiting for your Sanicon to dump the tank check out their new model, the Sanicon Turbo. The specs say it will empty a 40 gallon tank in 50 seconds. I have one of these on my '16 Entegra. I've never timed it but it is pretty darn fast. Kinda scary fast. No accidents or near disasters yet. 😱😱😱

M. Willis
2016 Entegra Anthem
Rocket speed evac for the pooper tank!! thanks for the enlightenment. Let's hope there's never a blockage while the jet pump is in evac mode!!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #42

2 tank system;

I had a 23ft Midas TT back in the 70's with a single holding tank which everything drained into. I believe that EPA might have mandated the dual tank system. Back then it was not unusual for folks to drain gray water into a bucket or on the ground. Consequently many campgrounds now say on there "rules and restrictions" sheets that no gray water is to be dumped on the ground because of sanitary things.

Once pulled up to a dump site at a state park in pa where someone opted to dump without a stinky slinky or macerator and didn't clean up after. Think about that one for a minute.
denverh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace