Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #1

Made in China Tires for Motor home

Okay, I have read a lot on this forum about not buying tires made in China. Has anyone put tires made in China on there RV (Motor Home) and actually had problems? I had a 5th wheel that came with Chinese tires from the factory and 2 of the four separated at some point and I replaced them all with tires made in USA. I was very fortunate that none of the tires blew out, and I was able to catch the problem in time as not to cause any damage. I was wondering about any problems that someone has first hand experience with Chinese tires on there Motor Home.
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What brand/brands are you talking about?
Rich
Old 07-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #3

Put Hercules on my last 3 motorhomes and not a problem one. Wouldn't buy any other tire.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #4

No particular brand, just wanted to know if anyone had problems with Chinese tires on there motor home.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #5

Thanks 89Sandman, I have a local dealer who sells a lot of Samson tires in the 22.5 wheel size and are very reasonable in price.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

A friend got some "square" Samsons - 4 of 6 rode so rough, even after balancing, that he returned them to Les Schwab and paid extra out-of-pocket to get another brand. Your mileage may vary, though.

Get this: Samson wouldn't replace the tires without having them returned to China for inspection by their engineers. He eventually negotiated a deal with Schwab to get different tires and let them deal with Samson. Or sell the used square tires to somebody else.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Samson's are not made in china, made in sir lanka.
johnboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #8

I have no personal experience with the "china bombs" but I too have heard about the squareness of the chinese tires. The Japanese on the other hand make nice smooth round tires.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
I have no personal experience with the "china bombs" but I too have heard about the squareness of the chinese tires. The Japanese on the other hand make nice smooth round tires.
maybe chinese got used to square ones as their ancient coins had a square hole in the middle :d seriously, they sold 20 + million cars in 2013, that's just one year, how many vehicles on road now? are they all running on square tires? lol.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Japan in the 50s sent us all that cheap electronic junk sony toshiba etc whatever happened to them anyhow ? Or those cheap crummy little cars ..then wow the Korean junk car , what was it Hyundai ? Every body said no way were they ever buying that junk period! Really ? China no matter what you think of the iPhone as a iOS etc makes almost all of them and they are a premium high quality build, they have more cars and trucks on the road, I believe I read, than the US .. My point is watch out and never say never! They'll get it right soon you can bet !
Old 07-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Truckers must use a lot of Double Coin tires. I see a ton of them at the truck tire shops locally. They are all in the scrap pile and most have no tread.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #12

I believe there are some import tires better than others. The big problem with tires I see is the tires dry rot from none use. I keep mine turning, not letting them sit for months like many others. The tires on our old trailer were so called "China Bombs" and I wore out 2 complete sets of them without problems. My present tires are China made Sailun 275/70R22.5 dated 3409. They had 26000+ miles on them when we purchased from the previous owner. We have put an additional 9,000 on them since April 2013. I plan to change them out next January.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I bought 4 Sailun tires and a couple of them were out of round. Ended up trading them for Goodyears. Later got 2 Cooper tires, made in China, and they were fine.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #14

I have six 19.5 Samsons that ride so smooth that it feels like I am riding in a car. They were replacements for six 7-1/2 year old tires that were also made in China. These are truck tires and not RV tires. You see them on many over-the-road truck and trailer combos.

Tags
tires