Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #1

Magnadyne 9900 - Mode Button Not Working

The OEM Magnadyne 9900 has worked fine in our '07 Southwind....up until now. It was fine when we returned from our last trip in May and now I've started to get ready to go again I noticed that the Sirius Radio come on.

This unit has the usual AM/FM, CD, AUX & Sirius Radio features all toggled through by using the Mode button. So when I turned it on today it was just on the AM. I tried to use the Mode button however it just goes from AM to FM1 and then back.

I tried pressing the Reset button however that had no effect. I manually inserted a CD and the associated icons do show up on the LCD that it is spinning etc and it will play and go from track to track however that didn't appear to 'kick start' the Mode button back into gear. I tried plugging in an iDevice through the auxiliary port but that did recognize or play.

Any thoughts? There are, of course, many posts where people have had problems with these units as with anything else on the planet.

Now if I have to replace it there in lies another problem as this one is a 1.5 Din opening which has almost gone the way of the BetaMax.

Last but not least, I've been enjoying the life time Sirius subscription that stayed current from the original owner. If I get a new radio with the Sirius feature I'll not be able to use the current ESN so I'll have to deal with them. That is unless the ESN is tied to the Sirius Tuner module that's under the dash and just plugged into the radio....

Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2015, 06:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I went through the same thing last year. I couldn't find a radio to fit the 1.5 din opening so I went to Best Buy and bought an adapter plate, then installed a single din Sony radio. Earlier Fords used the 1.5 din factory radio so the 1.5 to 1 din installation kit is readily available. Mine cost around 20 dollars if memory serves me correct.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #3

Thanks, now off to find a single din that has the Sirius radio feature. On a positive note, I chatted briefly with a Sirius rep and he said the ESN is married to the base module which is under the driver's dash so 'in theory' I should be able to just plug that connecting wire into the new radio and away I go.

When you installed a new radio did the Magnadyne plastic wiring harness connector work in it or did you have to splice into the new radio harness?

Thanks...

Ron
Old 06-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I had to splice the wires but they were easy to identify. The hard part was taking the dash apart to get to the wiring. Now that mine is changed. I can easily replace it with any Sony as all their plugs are the same. My new radio need a new XM module if I choose to use satilite as the plug for the Magnadyne won't fit. Just don't need XM at this time.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:58 PM   #5

...darn, now I do recall something about the Sirius cable that comes from the base module to the back of the OEM Magnadyne would not be compatible with a newer radio. I wonder if Sirius has a different cable that would fit our existing base modules but have a newer connector on the radio end that would fit.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That I wouldn't know, you may have to spend the extra on a new module but the antenna you have will work with a replacement module so at least you won't have to deal with getting a new wire to the roof. The Magnadyne was a good radio but the just don't last. Your's lasted longer than most.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:27 PM   #7

Conclusion

For the benefit of those searching in the future for Magnadyne 99xx information I'll sum up my story.

I talked to several local radio people and two Sirius customer service agents and consistently received conflicting information on the compatibility of some of the older Sirius components with a newer radio.

I finally talked to a Magnadyne rep who was both informative and candid.

The issues of the older 99xx series Magnadynes that were installed regularly in motorhomes may involve broken cold solder points, CPU gone bad or one of the printed circuit boards cracked. They no longer repair these units and do not recommend going else where as they're just too old, brittle and you're better off to buy a new radio regardless of the make.

In my case, the Sirius tuner (M9SIR), functions fine however despite the newer radio heads still having the same Sirius connection at the back the Sirius tuner will NOT work with it. It is not backwards compatible. When Sirius merged with XM the new equipment changed.

So what have I done?

I bought the 1.5 to Single DIN adapter plate from Magnadyne, which is plug and play, and then bought a Single DIN Sony SiriusXM Ready radio head for $100 CDN (probably around $30.25 US today )

Now that left me without a tuner. I then bought a new SiriusSM SXV300 vehicle tuner on Amazon for $37 free shipping. The new radio will connect to this new tuner which I will install where the older one is under the dash on the driver's side of the coach. The connector is a mini DIN. I can then use my existing Sirius antenna which terminates where the new tuner will be mounted (in place of the old one).

The Magnadyne wiring harness uses the same color coding as the new Sony so the connections will be straight forward.

So there ya have it.....needless to say the new quick and dirty replacement radio has more features than I'll ever need....BT, USB, Pandora Music ad nauseum.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like it worked out just fine for you. The new Sony radios are way better than the old 9900's. Thanks for the post.