Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Magnets for windshield shade.

My wife and I wanted to make a shade for our MH mainly because we are DIYers. We did a little research and came up with following products and information to be able to craft our own Magnetic Shade.

The fabric is called Textilene 90%. The magnets are Neodymium 1 in by 1/4 inch. The upper corner magnets are 1 inch by 1/2 inch. The magnet in the material is 1 1/4 inch in diameter by 1/4 inch. The strength of the magnets we used was N52. The material to keep the magnets on the window is VHB 3M Adhesive Double-sided Foam Tape High Bond Dots Conformable Acrylic Glue Replacement Kit 0.94 inch Circle Small Round. (Amazon) And 1 inch binding. This is my best guess for materials you need to make your own. If you are going to make them yourself, you need to sew some felt between the magnet and the Textilene in a pouch. These magnets are very strong and if you have a metal to glass strike, you can break your window. Be very careful with the magnets because you can lose a finger if you are not careful. You will also need a good sewing machine and some mercerized UV resistant thread.

We started at the fabric store. We purchased some black mercerized thread and some black felt and binding. We also went to a solar screen store and purchased more than enough Textilene to cover the entire window plus some.

We took the felt and cut it into to pieces about 3 inches by 2.5 inches. Then we cut the textilene into 3.5 by 3 inches. We took the big piece of textilene and placed it on the coach and cut out the fabric in the shape of the window using xacto knifes. The hardest thing was to keep the fabric to the window securely so we could cut it.

We brought it back home and sewed it together. We cut triangle pieces for the corners so we could take a pole and put it up on the window. Sewing the magnets into the shade was the hardest and the final end of each pouch had to be hand sewn. We sewed the pouches first then put the magnets in and then sewed the final flap. Make sure you orient the magnets in the right direction so they will pull together instead of pushing apart.

The magnets were the easiest part of the installation. We placed the shade on the window and I went inside and placed the magnets on the inside of the window while my wife held the shade. I did get pinched by the magnets and I drew blood while we were sewing it together. If you are going to do this, be very careful. If I had to do it over again I would get the N42 Magnets instead of the N52. The the ND057-N42 are less expensive and less dangerous.

There were 10 magnet sites. Two were upper corners and had the larger 1/2 inch magnets. There are 4 additional magnets across the top and two more down each side.

Total cost of magnets, Textilene, and other parts was around $180.00. If I would have used the less expensive magnets the cost would have been about $150.00.

My wife also made covers for the windshield wipers.

Magnets4less.com
ND060-N52 2
ND066 10
ND057-N52 8

Now we have a nice DIY shade for the front window that gives us privacy during the day and still lets the all the light in. And no ladder. Aahhhhhhhh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1016161032_HDR.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	149228   Click image for larger version

Name:	1016161032a_HDR.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	149229  

billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Great job!! I still have to use the step ladder, but maybe our shade could be converted to magnets also. Did you ever think about making it so it went on the inside? That would be even handier I'm thinking. Congrats again on a job well done.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:44 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Great job!! I still have to use the step ladder, but maybe our shade could be converted to magnets also. Did you ever think about making it so it went on the inside? That would be even handier I'm thinking. Congrats again on a job well done.
Yes I did, but that would mean that I would have 10 magnets exposed and located on the outside of my coach. Wife wouldn't like that.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It has been said that a shade or cover on the outside of the coach is better because it stops the sun's rays from even hitting the windshield in the first place thus not allowing it to warm up and heat the inside of the MH.
With the shade on the inside you allow that big piece of glass to get hot which radiates it's heat inside the MH.
Just my .000001 worth.
Awesome shade by the way.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
Yes I did, but that would mean that I would have 10 magnets exposed and located on the outside of my coach. Wife wouldn't like that.
Why? Simply leave the magnets where they are and stick the shade to them on the inside. Doing that, N52 and magnets that size are way overkill when not working through the windshield though.

I have N52 5x2mm on the windshield with 4950VHB covered by caps (making them the size of the shirt button), and 20x2mm on foil insulation and it hangs in just fine. You don't need those giant magnets when everything is on the inside protected from the wind

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:42 AM   #6

Nice job I've been thinking of doing this myself, I've got some sewing experience. Save a lot of money doing this.
Poohbear7278 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:50 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
your link Magnets4less.com
goes to something other then a online store
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
your link Magnets4less.com
goes to something other then a online store
It wasn't a link. I don't know what happened.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
- MAGNET4LESS-APPLIED MAGNETS-Neodymium Magnets-Rare Earth Magnets-Ceramic Magnets-Industrial Magnets-Magnets Wholesale To The Public
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #10

Looks great Bill!! May have to borrow that tip ;-)
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #11

did the same thing myself...

Ran into an issue with the compass after putting the magnets on. Monaco located the sensor in the center of the dash, inside the front cap, I had to relocate it to behind the passenger seat inside the RV to get it to read right

2004 Monaco Dynasty
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #12

WOW! Good prices, for the magnets, but shipping for the 10 ea 1" magnets I want is $2.00 / magnet! I think they advertise low prices and make up the "discount" in what they charge for shipping. I did a check on UPS shipping calculator, for the 0.7 lbs shipped from their address to my address it was $7.06, NOT the $19.39 Magnet4less wants to charge!

Good prices on the magnets, but DOUBLE IT when you add the shipping!

On the sunshade, Great Job! It looks just as good as our MagnaShade, for a LOT less money (oh, and don't even THINK about buying replacement magnets from MagnaShade!) The people who replaced our windshield didn't understand these ceramic magnets, and broke a number of them.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very nice. I typically use just the inside curtains when camping, but I want to make an external cover for when I am parked at home, using the silver bubble wrap type material. Not sure if the magnet idea would work for me since we get moderate wind here.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
very nice job thanks for posting