Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #1

Magnum Charger/Inverter MS2812 issues

I have a 3 year old Coach with the above system. It’s monitored/controlled by a Firefly system, thus, no Magnum Energy Remote Controller which I hate.

Inverter works going down the road, and Charger works if I happen to run the Generator. When I arrive at my destination, and plug into shore power, the system goes into Passthru mode, as it should, thus enabling charging/passthru power. Unfortunately it only stays on for 2 minutes before disabling all passthru power and charging. I can get it back on, if I shut off the pedestal, battery disconnects and then bring it back online. It will stay up and running if I disable the charge side, or the passthru side, but not both. When it does shut itself off, it goes from its standard 117-122 volts coming in, to showing 181 volts coming in. I’m sure this is a fantom reading, but what’s causing it. I have been at multiple parks, so different pedestals. I also use a Hughes Bulldog surge protector on Bluetooth so incoming power is not the issue.

I have spoken with Firefly and Magnum and we’ve tried different things with little change. Connections are all good, I’ve tested the battery bank (individual batteries) and all good. We have also unplugged the bridge between the Firefly and Magnum, thus taking the Firefly out of play, and no change.

Anybody else run across this type of problem.

TIA
Scott
Scott98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 06:05 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It almost sounds like a loose neutral somewhere.
Does it do this with the generator?
Old 10-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
It almost sounds like a loose neutral somewhere.
Does it do this with the generator?

Actually everything works normal on the generator. If on shore-power, I disable the charger and disable the passthru, I can power all my circuits but eventually the batteries will go dead unless I’m driving down the road and using the alternator to do the charging.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #4

The Magnum should be wired to source from your existing circuit panel, NOT directly from the transfer switch.

That Magnum lacks a dedicated passthrough input, so everything "after" it should be powered either by the inverter function OR the incoming power.|
I had one of those that fed from a single pole 30 amp breaker on my inside circuit panel, so whatever came from the transfer switch to the inside panel would light everything up - OR the only power would be on the inverter-fed circuit (pretty much every outlet in the coach).

That you say it works fine when the generator is on, says the problem is likely in how the transfer switch is wired. I'd start there, BUT look at using an ohm-meter first with everything off, see if you have a hot lead that is connected to something it shouldn't be. I feel like you have an open neutral / ground, OR somehow have power backfeeding where it shouldn't be, b/c you are losing 40 volts off the 220v you should see if it was truly split phase.

Note: The Onan QD series MAY NOT generate true 220vac split phase, but instead make up to 50 amps of same-phase in two windings. The clue for this is when the generator is on, metering hot to hot will ONLY show zero volts, rather than 220. But either hot to neutral will show 120vac. This may be why it works when the generator is on, but goes haywire with a properly split-phase 50 amp pedestal coming in... The transfer switch is wired wrong.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:13 PM   #5

All good info, just not sure how the transfer switch that’s been in place for 3 years suddenly is wired wrong. I’ve had transfer switches go bad on previous Coaches, but usually they get stuck in the neutral or open position. Anyway, all this is certainly worth checking.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:54 PM   #6

Losing the neutral will give weird voltages on split phase. Check ATS for loose or burnt connections or wires . When powered off just tighten them all, you should every year if driven a lot. Possible problem other 50 amp connections . Like cord reel brushes ,any other shore powered connections/boxes or bad plug .
Is it more than one shore plug that has given you issues.?
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:02 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
My guess would be to look for an intermittent connection on the neutral or ground connections starting with the Transfer Switch and working back thru the shore power connections, and the shore power plug. I assume this problem has happened while hooked up to more than one particular power pedestal. Something is allowing either a neutral or ground to “float” and the inverter/charger is reading an overvoltage fault (there is no way for the actual input voltage to be 180 volts-its a false reading because of the floating neutral or ground) and is shutting down to protect itself. Since it doesn’t do it on generator the problem has to be from the transfer switch back towards the shore power connection.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:29 PM   #8

All great info and more things to check. Thank you all for input.

Scott
Old 10-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Losing the neutral will give weird voltages on split phase. Check ATS for loose or burnt connections or wires . When powered off just tighten them all, you should every year if driven a lot. Possible problem other 50 amp connections . Like cord reel brushes ,any other shore powered connections/boxes or bad plug .
Is it more than one shore plug that has given you issues.?

The last 3 parks, 2 of which were new parks so new pedestals etc. I know that means nothing but just saying doesn’t appear to be the pedestals.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott98 View Post
The last 3 parks, 2 of which were new parks so new pedestals etc. I know that means nothing but just saying doesn’t appear to be the pedestals.
The only thing that is consistent is your coach - and in that, the only thing that seems at the center of the problem is the transfer switch. It DOES have moving parts (the magnetic contactors) that have to swap 4 different wires, although the ground could be bonded common.

Seems like the magnet or the contactors for the neutral in the transfer switch are the most likely source of the problem.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:01 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I overlooked the fact that you are using a Hughes Power Conditioner on the shore power. I would remove it from the circuit first and see whether the problem continues. If the electronics inside of it are malfunctioning or an intermittent connection could easily be interrupting the neutral.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
I overlooked the fact that you are using a Hughes Power Conditioner on the shore power. I would remove it from the circuit first and see whether the problem continues. If the electronics inside of it are malfunctioning or an intermittent connection could easily be interrupting the neutral.

Yep, tried that with zero luck.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #13

Update: All connections in the Surge Guard Transfer switch are good and torqued appropriately. Connection/hot/common/ground in main panel all good.

Decided to bring the system online slowly by shutting off all incoming power (breakers) and main 50amp. Turned on the breakers 30 amp for the inverter and then one circuit and I got inverter power. Waited, and brought all inverter circuits up, and all was well.

Next I turned all the circuits back off and then turned the 50amp back on at the pedestal. I have two 30 amp breakers labeled charge #1 and charge #2. I monitored my read outs on my Firefly /Vega Touch specific to the Magnum. When I turned on charger #1 it showed zero on the AC Input Volts. When I turned on charger #2, it initially showed AC input volts at 118, and that the charger had come on (float). After 45 seconds, it kicked off and my AC input showed 184 volts as it has in the past.

I tested both 30 amp breakers on the meter and they both are good.

I’m down to the shore power cord at this point, unless anybody has other ideas.

Thanks again
Scott
Old 10-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott98 View Post
Update: All connections in the Surge Guard Transfer switch are good and torqued appropriately. Connection/hot/common/ground in main panel all good.

Decided to bring the system online slowly by shutting off all incoming power (breakers) and main 50amp. Turned on the breakers 30 amp for the inverter and then one circuit and I got inverter power. Waited, and brought all inverter circuits up, and all was well.

Next I turned all the circuits back off and then turned the 50amp back on at the pedestal. I have two 30 amp breakers labeled charge #1 and charge #2. I monitored my read outs on my Firefly /Vega Touch specific to the Magnum. When I turned on charger #1 it showed zero on the AC Input Volts. When I turned on charger #2, it initially showed AC input volts at 118, and that the charger had come on (float). After 45 seconds, it kicked off and my AC input showed 184 volts as it has in the past.

I tested both 30 amp breakers on the meter and they both are good.

I’m down to the shore power cord at this point, unless anybody has other ideas.

Thanks again
Scott
Is the plug on the end of your shore cord able to be serviced? Before pulling it apart, you can use an ohm meter on the pins and on the other end at the transfer switch to see if there's a crossed connection. You should read good connection / near-zero ohms between the ground pin and green wire, the neutral (opposite the ground) and the white, and then either of the side pins and the black or red wires.

Then check for ANYTHING other than infinite resistance between each of the pins and all the others. If the meter flutters at all, you have a problem.

Not sure why your circuits are labeled "charge 1 and charge 2".... Are those the direct lines from the transfer switch / incoming power?

Tags
charger, inverter