RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Magnum inverter

Would like to install Magnum 2000w inverter/charger in place of 1000w inverter that came with 2016 sunova 33c. Will it work or do I have to disable the converter charge system.
BMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcD View Post
Would like to install Magnum 2000w inverter/charger in place of 1000w inverter that came with 2016 sunova 33c. Will it work or do I have to disable the converter charge system.
Depending on what battery cables you presently have from your battery to the inverter you may need to upgrade these to a larger size. If installing an inverter charger then I would disable and remove the present converter charger and use the 3 stage charger that is built into the Magnum inverter.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't answer that question but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You don't have to disable the existing converter/charger, but the Magnum is probably a superior design and it would be better to utilize that rather than whatever you now have. But if you don't want to use the new unit as the converter/charger, why but that type of unit? Just get a 2000W plain inverter instead. Plenty of good ones available.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You don't have to disable the existing converter/charger, but the Magnum is probably a superior design and it would be better to utilize that rather than whatever you now have. But if you don't want to use the new unit as the converter/charger, why but that type of unit? Just get a 2000W plain inverter instead. Plenty of good ones available.
Agree. Use all of the magnum as designed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You don't have to disable the existing converter/charger, but the Magnum is probably a superior design and it would be better to utilize that rather than whatever you now have. But if you don't want to use the new unit as the converter/charger, why buy that type of unit? Just get a 2000W plain inverter instead. Plenty of good ones available.
Continuing my previous post...

The likely complication in using the Magnum as the converter/charger is that the 12v power distribution panel is probably integrated with the stock converter. Ideally you would disconnect the converter /charger part and wire the Magum's 12v power in its place. Not terribly difficult, but may need some research and you would have to get comfortable with the idea of modding that unit. However, it is not strictly necessary to disable the old charger module - you can let the Magnum run in parallel and do its thing. The extra value of the Magnum's three stage charging is not realized if you do that, but the chargers still work.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Don, I will use the magnum charge system-can't wait to get on the road next month-too much time on my hands. BMcD
Old 02-26-2018, 08:01 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Vince, having a motorhome is like having a jeep-always something ya can add!
Old 02-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Gary, friend gave me the Magnum when he got a new coach with bigger inverter. I don't see a reason to remove converter-it is on its' own 15 amp breaker so will shut that off. The dc wiring diagram shows the +12vdc goes to an isolated stud that connects it to the coach and chassis wire asm. I could disconnect the converter wire here but don't think it matters since converter ac power is off. BMcD

Tags
inverter