Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mail forwarding service and your bank

We recently signed up for Americas Mailbox and when we try to do our new address with our bank they say, we cant use the address because they call it commercial address,anyone have this issue
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
We recently signed up for Americas Mailbox and when we try to do our new address with our bank they say, we cant use the address because they call it commercial address,anyone have this issue
Not with Good Sams mail forwarding, and we have [mod edit].
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gramps- View Post
Not with Good Sams mail forwarding, and we have [mod edit].
Did you establish those as new accounts with the GS mail address and if so, how long ago?

I'm not doubting you but I'm wondering if time or circumstances has caught up with this issue for GS.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, we had both accounts for many years, before we went fulltime. We simply changed our official billing and mailing addresses for both banks. They were accepted without any problem by both. That was three years ago. I am not aware of anyone having trouble using a Good Sams Florida address as the residence for banks, driver's licenses or anything else.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #5

We have been using a credit union for 30 years... we get all our statements and other communications with them through email... or over the phone..

I haven't been in a branch if 3 or 4 years.. if we need a new debit card we see them when we are back in the area... in other cases they will gladly send us anything we need Fed-Ex or UPS
Old 07-06-2019, 01:26 AM   #6

We've used several PMBs though the years for the "mailing address" at banks and credit unions (and a lot of other things) with no problems at all. It's inherent in the definition of a "PMB" as it is a "business" (therefore will have a business address) offering "private mailboxes."

If you are entering the address online, be sure to use one of the following designators before your box number as prescribed by America's Mailbox:

PMB#, #, APT#, STE#, etc.

Just make sure you designate a box number.

As per Americas Mailbox, your address should appear as follows:

Your Name
514 Americas Way PMB XXXXX
Box Elder SD 57719-7600

If it still does not accept the entry, call the customer service number of the bank so they can override the restriction and they can manually enter it. Once you explain to them that it's a PMB or "private mailbox," they should accommodate your request.

Remember, your Americas Mailbox address is good for:
  • Drivers License
  • Vehicle Registrations
  • Concealed Weapons Permits
  • Voters Registration
  • Vehicle Insurance
  • Wills and Trusts
  • Legal domicile
  • Passports
  • Packages of any size
  • Certified/Registered mail
  • Refrigerated medications
  • You can use your Americas Mailbox address to receive all, some or none of your mail. In addition, you can use it to register all, some or none of your vehicles.

...from Americas Mailbox reference ...go HERE

Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:30 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We were already with Wells Fargo when we switched to Dakota Post in Sioux Falls. I changed my address online with the bank. At first I was typing in the PMB# followed by my number. It wouldn't accept it. I finally tried leaving the PMB# out and it accepted it. It looks like this;
3916 N Potsdam Ave ####
TenMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:07 AM   #8
RV LIFE Support Team

There are numerous discussions on Escapees.com regarding this problem. It is a hangover from the Patriot Act "know your customer". Charles Schwab is notorious for this attitude, Fidelity and Vanguard have no problems. First time I heard of a bank having the problem.

Either give them one of your children's addresses or switch banks.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:06 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've used AMB for ~ 5 years with no problems through many banking transactions. Talk with AMB - they may have a recommendation - or - find a more customer-sensitive bank.

Every year we find some agency, office, service provider who's frame of reference still can't understand folks who full-time without a S&B residence.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:34 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been using the mail service from Escapees for over 6 years and no issues from the bank, investments or anyone else.
https://www.escapees.com/mail-service/

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:55 AM   #11

Yup. Escapee's no problems.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #12

We use six banks for various reasons. Not one of these has refused to use our GoodSam mailing service.

Maybe it's time to change banks?

As an academic question, isn't any post office box a commercial address since you pay money for someone to store your mail?
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #13

Just a correction here...I had a SD mailbox and no, I could not get registered to vote using the PMB address. Had to have a street address. Used the RV parks address where I was staying to register, and then went online and made my mailing address the PMB. Two different addresses. That worked and I was able to vote after having my ballot mailed to the PMB and then on to me in the SW.

Not sure how many other of those listed items above would have to have a street address but registering to vote certainly does in my experience.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #14

I'm guessing it's the CIP (Customer Identification Program) (see page 480, bottom right column) part of the Patriot Act.

However, there's an "out" for people who don't have fixed residential addresses:

"For an individual who does not have a residential or business street address, an Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) box number, or the residential or business street address of next of kin or of another contact individual"

So get permission of someone you want as your "contact" then call the bank. If they won't accept your contact, ask for someone in their Compliance Department. If this still doesn't work, try another bank.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service