Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2022, 10:31 PM   #1

Main board problems

I have a 2011 Monaco Diplomat. I been having strange things happening to my Motorhome. Lights and gauges coming on while sitting with no key in the ignition. Come to find out the control board in the outside compartment is shorting out. Sometimes the engine will keep running with the ignition turned off. The board was built to compact causing jump over especially when humid or rainy. HAS ANYONE else had this problem?
Gary Keeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2022, 07:15 PM   #2

Not sure how the board is supported in its enclosure or if the support is adequate enough - but if the enclosure is metallic, or if there is a metallic backing behind the so,dear side of the printed circuit board, it’s possible the solder side component leads could be making contact with that metal backing.

Similar to what happened with bundled wiring as it passes through metallic wire clamps that rub through the insulation as a result of vibration (coach movement) or movement through a metallic wire clamp as the result thermal expansion/contraction.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:59 PM   #3

How did you determine it was shorting out? Could it be something as simple as a bad/incomplete ground?
Firedog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 02:53 PM   #4

Angry Board problems

I could pull relays and things would still work. I took a 12 volt test light and touch from main ground to fuse holders (with no fuse in it) and it would smoke under the fuse holder or the next fuse holder over. Had tech also look at it and he came to the same conclusion. By all that I have read this board was built too compact. The fuse holder will short out very easily. This is a know problem with Monaco, holiday rambler and beaver that used this board. rev rv is the only company that supplies this board. They have to have a order of 4 before there supplier will make this board. I have one on order right now with no sure answer when I will receive it.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:57 PM   #5

I would sure like to see a picture of the both sides of the board.

You apparently have found out many there’s have this same problem with that board.

Interesting.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:33 PM   #6

Board problem

I have front picture only. The back side looks normal with no corrosion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	667A870B-78EC-4B74-82BF-FBE16404D0C3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	370129  
Old 07-04-2022, 06:29 PM   #7

Hard to tell anything due to the resolution. I think I see an arrow on the board next to 2 sets fuse sockets that appear to have over heated.

How many amps are those fuses?

The reason for wanting a picture of the solder side was to see how “tight” the board was built so as to cause “shorting out”.

From what it appears - the board isn’t “shorting out” - it’s very likely the solder pads under the fuse holders were undersized and the specified copper thickness was not adequate for the current being drawn at the fuses or through the traces on the circuit board.

It can be fixed, and the deficiencies corrected. I certainly wouldn’t invest in a new board that hasn’t been improved - not without making the needed upgrades to the new board.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:24 PM   #8

That tough rubbery stuff on back or full circuit boards "conformal coating" helps prevent the kind of thing your talking about.
At work totally sealed tight electrical boxes have more problems than outdoor/rainproof ones that just have channels to keep water out so they breath/dry out if they do get damp. Some sealed boxes, I just drill a couple small holes in the bottom. Others I will add a electrical type vent .
See the same issue with taped wire nuts if the get wet they stay wet.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems