Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #1

Main cabin TV replacement

Hi out there. I am new to this site, so bare with me. I have a 2001 Dutch Star, 36 ft. diesel. I need to replace the main cabin TV. By looking at it, its not so obvious how the TV comes out. Newmar says through the side cabinets, but get two or three friends so the TV does not fall on you. If I knew how to get it out, I do not have aproblem fitting a new unit in and securing it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are 50 miles north of Seattle, if there was a shop that does this I may consider that, although I prefer to do it my self.
Thanks
sledguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'll throw out some suggestions, but without you telling us where the TV is located, or a photo, it may be difficult.

I'm guessing in that year coach it's in the overhead above the windshield.

On mine and many others, there is usually a wood frame that covers the front edges of the TV. You need to remove that wood frame (look for screws from the underside and under wood cap covers). Newmar may have been saying that you access these screws through the side cabinets, not actually pull the TV out that way.

Once the wood face is off, it's usually obvious what is next. Mine had an aluminum frame that was screwed to the edges of the TV and then screwed into the cabinetry.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #3

On my 2000 Dutch Star 3865, the front trim around the TV was screwed and glued to panel pieces that at first looked like they lined the entire interior of the TV section. The panels actually just went toward the windshield just a few inches past the front of the jammed-in TV.

If yours is like mine, the only screws to mount this "assembly" of the TV framing trim and panels will be found JUST inside the compartment doors on either side. It looks like they bought the TV's, designed the forward upper compartments as they went, put the TV in, jammed the front piece "assembly" in, and then screwed the last four screws in inside the glass front compartments to hold it all together.

You may also want to take a close look at the wooden "frame" around the TV. You may find some small, angular holes that are hiding some small threaded, long screws. I can't remember if they were Phillips or #2 square drive heads. If the entire assembly won't come out as one piece in your bus, you may have to remove the frame first.

The TV should then be easy to get out. Mine was a 27", and I brought it down by myself. I regretted that stupid move before I got it to the floor. Get someone to help you ... those old TV's are too heavy, too awkward, and too high. Good luck!
Jawja Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #4

By the way, I don't know where my manners went but, welcome to the forum! I've found i IRV2 to be my most useful RV resource and I'm sure you will too.

I also must tell you my wife and I loved your state when we spent two incredibly short years in the shipyard in Bremerton. This Georgia boy needs to head our bus west sometime soon to enjoy the Pacific Northwest again! We were stationed some great places in the Navy, but few compared to the Seattle area!
Jawja Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I figured out how to remove my tv from the overhead. But before I took in out, I googled the make and size. I paid two strong men and a boy to take out that 150+ lb beast .
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement