Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #1

Main Front Slide Problem Question

Hi I have 2004 Cross Country 372DS and having problem with living front slide. When the slide is moving in and out it is tearing the protection cover on the bottom of the slide. So now the wood on the bottom of the slide is exposed. I have been using it this way since I got the motorhome 2 years ago and only tearing the cover in 2 area. I took it to dealer to get a quote and he told me that the slide needs to be remove as there is not enough adjustment to raise the slide. He said more there likely it is plastic pieces that are broke inside the rails. Now he will not give me a quote but say it could cost up to $4000. He said parts are around $1000.
I am asking have you had a main slide removed before and does the $4000 seem right ? I just thought $3000 in labour seems enough but I have no idea how hard it is to remove the slide.
stingjra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingjra View Post
Hi I have 2004 Cross Country 372DS and having problem with living front slide. When the slide is moving in and out it is tearing the protection cover on the bottom of the slide. So now the wood on the bottom of the slide is exposed. I have been using it this way since I got the motorhome 2 years ago and only tearing the cover in 2 area. I took it to dealer to get a quote and he told me that the slide needs to be remove as there is not enough adjustment to raise the slide. He said more there likely it is plastic pieces that are broke inside the rails. Now he will not give me a quote but say it could cost up to $4000. He said parts are around $1000.
I am asking have you had a main slide removed before and does the $4000 seem right ? I just thought $3000 in labour seems enough but I have no idea how hard it is to remove the slide.
That seems a little High to me. That would be about 30 hours at $100 per hour = $3000. I would think that a good dealership or repair facility that knew what they were doing could do it in say 20 hours. We had friends that had a slide removed and replaced with a whole new frame work for the same type of problem. took less than 20 hours under warranty. Yours may be a different matter, theirs was a new rv. good luck.
Mel
Old 11-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #3

so my coach has a UHMW strip on the floor of the coach that the slide runs on... its held to the floor by screws... push out your slide and lift it up where the problem is at... and see if you have some broken screws that have pushed up and are cutting the fabric.... remove them....

I went to a plastic distributor and purchased 10 pieces (UHMW) of 3/8" thick, 5" wide by the distance my slide moves out plus 2".... I drilled and counter sunk 12 holes in each piece to allow me to screw this to the bottom of the slide. I beveled the edge at a 60* angle so that the edge of the UHMW would rise up on the edge on the floor.. and than installed a piece where each of the tears was at.... I used a simple sealer to make the tear water proof... and screwed them evenly across the bottom of the slide....

I've noticed that the slide now moves more freely.. and easier than sliding on the fabric... this was maybe 18 months ago and I'm still trouble free.... my over all cost was $125 for materials plus my slave labor...

Hope this helps..
Old 11-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies.
stingjra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide