Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #15

so47; If you can/have serviced your 'normal' vehicles, then there is no reason that you can not service your MH. While your MH is larger, the basics are the same. For me, I stick with the filters, oil and lubes that the engine/trany recommend. I found out a long time ago that it does not pay to skimp on filters and such. About the only item that I will not tackle is servicing the cooling system. Not so much that I can not, but more along the lines that I do not want a 'spilled' coolant that my labs could get into. Also go online, as there is lots of good information to help out.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies. I've always done fluids and filters, belts and hoses, all the simple shade tree stuff. I guess it's the size of this thing that intimidates me more than it should. Anyway, I think Camp Freightliner might have a couple more students this fall.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Ok tranny parts 295, hydraulic around 150,Axel fluids let say 100 so That's a mighty expensive radiator cleaning. To make sure don't trust me call around and get parts prices. Tranny,hydraulic, axel no more than 2 hours labor.
Total labor charges on my coach were $615.00. Parts were quite expensive. The beautiful thing is that I now have everything where it is supposed to be and I can start from here. Buying this coach used last year, with 19,000 miles on it, I had no idea what had or hadn't been done to it. Hell, just the air dryer cost $148.00. The coolant was over $70.00. Good luck with all your self-maintenance but for me, having everything done at once and then picking what I want to do in the future is the only thing that makes sense for me.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Probably don't need to change out the air dryer every 2-3 years, even with air brakes. You aren't putting 100K miles a year on the system like OTR trucks.

A lot of stuff is 'check' or 'inspect' on those lists. Most of it will become second nature as time goes by. Just remember, FILTERS ARE YOUR FRIENDS!

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I just drove all the way across country to attend the Camp Freightliner class in Gaffney, SC. The reason I'm telling you this is because I learned a hell of a lot about doing my own maintenance and while I was there, I had them do a complete maintenance on my coach, which sounds a lot like yours. Mine is a 2006 Meridian with a Cat 350.
I had them change every filter that was changeable, drain and refill the cooling system, the transmission, axles' lube, oil change and they did the generator also. Total cost came to $1425.00. Cost for the class was $175.00 and well worth it.
I planned to get in the first class in July. But I put off contacting them. Class is now full. I'm kicking myself because the next is not until this fall. I intend on putting 4 - 5 thousand miles on before the. I'm going to go ahead and change oil and filters in Cat and Onan. Fuel filters scare me. Too many stories about air lock and disagreement about changing wet or dry; diesel or ATF if wet. Who to believe/ trust
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We are looking to see if we can fit Camp Freightliner class into our fall schedule
MJD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #21

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
Total labor charges on my coach were $615.00. Parts were quite expensive. The beautiful thing is that I now have everything where it is supposed to be and I can start from here. Buying this coach used last year, with 19,000 miles on it, I had no idea what had or hadn't been done to it. Hell, just the air dryer cost $148.00. The coolant was over $70.00. Good luck with all your self-maintenance but for me, having everything done at once and then picking what I want to do in the future is the only thing that makes sense for me.

X2 As a work of caution to all - DO CHANGE and keep an eye on the hydraulic fluid filter. It often gets overlooked.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by so47 View Post
So I've dove deep into my chassis, tranny and cat manuals. I am a little overwhelmed. ?
It's still just turning wrenches. So far I've done all my own maintenance, and saving the labor charge is good-- but knowing how things go together and finding a hose that is rubbing, a wiring harness under strain or a minor leak at a fitting is the real benefit. And it's still fun..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote