Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maintenance

So I've dove deep into my chassis, tranny and cat manuals. I am a little overwhelmed. On every car and truck I've ever owned, I pretty much ignored the " required" maintenance and did fluids and filters only and let fate have it's day. I even had the occasional timing belts replaced, and of course plugs and wires once in a blue moon. Reading the PM for my rig makes me wonder why I bought this thing BEFORE I hit Lotto. Can I get a little hand holding here? What are the bare gotta do maintenance essentials for a putz like me that is way out of warranty on a low mileage but 7 year old dp? Fl chassis cat300 turbo. Help me sleep at nite. my ego far exceeds the grasp of my wallet. Ie; what was I thinking?
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #2

Tranny fluids and filters,air filter,Fuel filters,a good grease job,brake air filter,check sealants on roof for cracks reseal, and it goes on and on. Do alittle at the time I just did my tranny myself filter and fluids ran $295.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #3

How difficult was draining the transmission fluid and replacing the filter?
canes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes1 View Post
How difficult was draining the transmission fluid and replacing the filter?
No harder than changing oil, I'm lucky at the end of my concrete slab the yard slobs and I can sit up under it. In the feb 2012 MH magazine shows step by step. I have 3000 MH tranny hold 19 quarts and 2 filters.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #5

I need to have the transmission service done, possibly have the radiator cleaned, hydrolics fluids changed with a new filter service and an axel service...$2200 at freightliner was the quote.

Happy Ours
2004 Damon Escaper
400 HP Cummins
canes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just drove all the way across country to attend the Camp Freightliner class in Gaffney, SC. The reason I'm telling you this is because I learned a hell of a lot about doing my own maintenance and while I was there, I had them do a complete maintenance on my coach, which sounds a lot like yours. Mine is a 2006 Meridian with a Cat 350.
I had them change every filter that was changeable, drain and refill the cooling system, the transmission, axles' lube, oil change and they did the generator also. Total cost came to $1425.00. Cost for the class was $175.00 and well worth it.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #7

Ok tranny parts 295, hydraulic around 150,Axel fluids let say 100 so That's a mighty expensive radiator cleaning. To make sure don't trust me call around and get parts prices. Tranny,hydraulic, axel no more than 2 hours labor.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Remember although seemingly an overkill, the very thorough and intended to cover every possibility, manufacturer recommended preventive maintenance procedures are driven by the CYA, law suit prone culture we live in today as much as or more than they are driven by real world maintenance requirements.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
So47, I have an 03 Discovery with 36k miles. I just had the oil changed, tranny fluid checked, air filter and fuel filters replaced, the chassis greased, hydraulic fluids topped off, differential fluids topped, hoses and belts checked, slides lubricated, and a trailer light short fixed for $575 from a Caterpiller truck repair shop. I went to Camping World bought the roof sealer for $8 tube and did it myself.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by so47 View Post
So I've dove deep into my chassis, tranny and cat manuals. I am a little overwhelmed. On every car and truck I've ever owned, I pretty much ignored the " required" maintenance and did fluids and filters only and let fate have it's day. I even had the occasional timing belts replaced, and of course plugs and wires once in a blue moon. Reading the PM for my rig makes me wonder why I bought this thing BEFORE I hit Lotto. Can I get a little hand holding here? What are the bare gotta do maintenance essentials for a putz like me that is way out of warranty on a low mileage but 7 year old dp? Fl chassis cat300 turbo. Help me sleep at nite. my ego far exceeds the grasp of my wallet. Ie; what was I thinking?
You made me smile. We bought ours and it was 10 years old, 77,500 miles and we were fortunate to get every receipt spent on it. After downloading all the receipts and what was done to it into an Excel program I felt just like you. WHAT HAVE WE DONE??? But, the maintenance thus far has really been very reasonable (and we had a lot of issues to resolve when we got it.) Don't panic. There's a lot of wires, filters, fuses, breakers, and valves but fortunately they all work together more often than not and the enjoyment you'll get back versus your maintenance expense will slowly allow you to sleep at night and build your ego back.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #11

X2 on what Hunter says. I also bought a 10yo diesel and ran around with a dumb smile on my face for months before doing any major work. And that was replacing a bad master cylinder that FreightLiner wanted $2200 firm to replace. I did it myself (and I'm in electronics, just a shade tree mechanic) for under $600.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes1 View Post
I need to have the transmission service done, possibly have the radiator cleaned, hydrolics fluids changed with a new filter service and an axel service...$2200 at freightliner was the quote.

Happy Ours
2004 Damon Escaper
400 HP Cummins
On our DSDP I did the hydraulic system and filters for less than $100. The major problem was finding AW32 fluid. Found it at NAPA but the price was more than I expected but I bought it anyway. Costco had AW46 and Spartan said I could use it but I'd have to drain and flush the system first. The air filter will be around $100-125 depending on the shipping if you have the EcoLite filter like we do. Transmission will depend on what trans, filter and fluid you need. The 3000MH filters will be about $70, the fluid will be about $35-$40 a gallon. If you already have TranSynd then all you need is the filter kit and maybe 2 gallons of TranSynd.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
There are SO many things that are CYA and are serious overkill! How many have your front wheel bearings repacked every 12 months as specified by most mfg's...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
There are SO many things that are CYA and are serious overkill! How many have your front wheel bearings repacked every 12 months as specified by most mfg's...
Bingo!

Oil and oil filters for engine and genny.

Fuel filters the same way.

Put a filter minder on your air cleaner. Change it when it needs it. Changing too often introduces as much silica as not.

Lube the chassis with special attention to the drive line. don't over lube the brake cams.

Tranny. If you don't have Transynd change to it. It's a two step procedure, then filters and oil analysis.

Coolant. Change to OAT, Final Charge or equivalent, and test.

Air dryer. 2-3 years as needed.

Hydraulic filters? I am going to change mine this year, I am sure it's not been done since new.

Same with front wheel bearings.

Spend a lot of time enjoying! It is a bit like drinking out of a fire hose, at first.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote